$23,661,443 in Dead Money

papazoid

Some of that over-paying is likely a "Buffalo" fee for either playing in a small market or for a losing franchise. So I get that. Hopefully the new owner has the right people in place to end our history of missteps. Whaley may be the guy, although the Chris Williams contract looks mighty suspect.

Yep. I believe that Whaley may be the guy. And I will love when football guys, and not bean counters, are negotiating the contracts and deciding who is worth what. That may have happened already but I am not sure. I don't expect Littman and Overdorf to be back when new ownership comes in, so there is expected to be a new braintrust when it comes to contracts.

And I really like Whaley a lot, but the Chris Williams contract, like you said, is suspect (although, granted, we need to actually see him play a season at that position to know) and the way he has handled QBs, the most important position in any sport, is suspect. But I have a feeling we really have a strong GM for the first time since Polian.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In a cap, there is a fixed amount of money, the more efficient you can spend the better off you'll be over the long term

....and being lumbered with bad contracts, the Bills have done the most efficient thing they could with that money over the long term.

So how does that compare ot the other 31 teams and how's it compare over a four or five year period? Wouldn't shock me to see that many teams have similar amounts every few years. I will grant you it's easier to accept when a team was doing very well, then starts to grow old, so you make some cuts. In this case that's not what happened

Steve Johnson $10,225,000

Ryan Fitzpatrick $7,000,000

Mark Anderson $3,000,000

Rian Lindell $1,375,000

Alan Branch $875,000

Kevin Kolb $500,000

Brad Smith $500,000

Zebrie Sanders $99,250

Chris White $30,150

Justin Rogers $16,875

Colin Brown $12,500

Da'Rick Rogers $6,667

Keith Pough $5,334

Jumal Rolle $3,667

Kendall Gaskins $2,667

Jordan Dangerfield $2,334

Darrin Kitchens $2,000

Kip Edwards $2,000

Brandon Kaufman $1,667

Colby Way $666

Darius Robinson $666

http://overthecap.co...p/buffalo-bills

I have a rough idea. I know if we actually find a franchise qb it will be almost impossible to have both.

That isn't the case.

Firstly, C2C is a guideline teams try to follow. They do not always do so. For instance, the Bills spent over C2C in 2012 when signing Mario....and this season we are just under.

Cash to cap literally means that a team will try to have their cash outlays in any given year match that of the actual cap that year. Most of the time this has little effect on how they do things. The only time it can become limiting is when endeavoring to sign multiple large contracts in the one season. This is due to large signing bonuses as SBs are cash that is paid out in the first year.

This has actually become a lot easier for teams to manage as more creative contracts have become more commonplace. A lot of large contracts now have lower SBs, but also have guaranteed 1st(& 2nd/3rd) years salaries.....or sizable roster bonuses in the 2nd year to compensate.

Essentially C2C is a way for the lower cash flow teams(vast majority) to manage said cash flow......and has nothing to do with cap management. I don't know why it ever got a bad rep but it certainly doesn't inhibit teams from competing with the Cowboys/Redskins etc(who have large cash flow).

we could have taken Fitz's cap hit in 2013, instead we rolled over some to 2014. In the end it was a dumb move.

looking ahead we only have $1.6 in 2015.

Please read through the thread. Due to the rollover rules, taking some of the hit in 2014 instead of taking it all in 2013 made no difference to the 2014 cap numbers.

Edited by Dibs

There's a lot of people in this thread who don't understand what dead money is. This isn't $23M that we would have spent on players this year.

It was created by 2 players - Fitz and Stevie, and it goes away next year.

Edited by QCity

Further proof that Buddy Nix was in over his head, thank god he's still a consultant for us.

Nearly everyone on this board wanted the Bills to re-sign Fitz and Stevie and was excited when Mark Anderson was signed as a FA. Even the king of snark, Sully, was clamoring about when are the Bills going to do the right thing and sign Fitz to an extension.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, I thought the Bills had overpaid for Fitz, but I cannot give the Bills to much grief for locking in a guy like Fitz. In the end, it was a mistake as was Mark Anderson. Alan Branch decided to be a couch potato and mail it in once he got his $3.1. I blame Alan Branch more than I blame the FO for that one.

There's a lot of people in this thread who don't understand what dead money is. This isn't $23M that we would have spent on players this year.

It was created by 2 players - Fitz and Stevie, and it goes away next year.

But it's no fun thinking that way...doesn't give us anything to fight about. Having said that, the Bills are not in any trouble regarding the cap. Let's return to EJ bashing please.

Nearly everyone on this board wanted the Bills to re-sign Fitz and Stevie and was excited when Mark Anderson was signed as a FA. Even the king of snark, Sully, was clamoring about when are the Bills going to do the right thing and sign Fitz to an extension.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, I thought the Bills had overpaid for Fitz, but I cannot give the Bills to much grief for locking in a guy like Fitz. In the end, it was a mistake as was Mark Anderson. Alan Branch decided to be a couch potato and mail it in once he got his $3.1. I blame Alan Branch more than I blame the FO for that one.

Thank you. Not to mention that the contract that Fitz signed was the #19th ranked contract for QBs at the time and he finished #19 in the QB ratings. Not that he was good, or that the contract was wise in retrospect, but it wasn't outrageous.

I don't know JFH, that $666 in dead money to Colby Way is a cap killer.

It's not really the $666, it's the sign that the number 666 represents. The Bills did that contract like that on purpose. And don't think players around the league don't notice. That could set the franchise back a decade.

It's not really the $666, it's the sign that the number 666 represents. The Bills did that contract like that on purpose. And don't think players around the league don't notice. That could set the franchise back a decade.

True. But at least Ozzy will play the Ralph now. So... that's something I guess.

That isn't the case.

Firstly, C2C is a guideline teams try to follow. They do not always do so. For instance, the Bills spent over C2C in 2012 when signing Mario....and this season we are just under.

Cash to cap literally means that a team will try to have their cash outlays in any given year match that of the actual cap that year. Most of the time this has little effect on how they do things. The only time it can become limiting is when endeavoring to sign multiple large contracts in the one season. This is due to large signing bonuses as SBs are cash that is paid out in the first year.

This has actually become a lot easier for teams to manage as more creative contracts have become more commonplace. A lot of large contracts now have lower SBs, but also have guaranteed 1st(& 2nd/3rd) years salaries.....or sizable roster bonuses in the 2nd year to compensate.

Essentially C2C is a way for the lower cash flow teams(vast majority) to manage said cash flow......and has nothing to do with cap management. I don't know why it ever got a bad rep but it certainly doesn't inhibit teams from competing with the Cowboys/Redskins etc(who have large cash flow).

Please read through the thread. Due to the rollover rules, taking some of the hit in 2014 instead of taking it all in 2013 made no difference to the 2014 cap numbers.

Thanks for taking the time. Is there a website that captures what you're saying with regards to the cash layout of teams and other cap related spending?

Yep. I believe that Whaley may be the guy. And I will love when football guys, and not bean counters, are negotiating the contracts and deciding who is worth what. That may have happened already but I am not sure. I don't expect Littman and Overdorf to be back when new ownership comes in, so there is expected to be a new braintrust when it comes to contracts.

And I really like Whaley a lot, but the Chris Williams contract, like you said, is suspect (although, granted, we need to actually see him play a season at that position to know) and the way he has handled QBs, the most important position in any sport, is suspect. But I have a feeling we really have a strong GM for the first time since Polian.

That is indeed the case from what I've been told.