Da'Rick watch 2014

See anywhere where I defend Rogers? I defend people like Rogers because I think that there is zero difference between Hogan and Roosevelt and Elliot. You could have picked up any of those guys. I just believe that you take chances on talent. It worked with Peters and failed with Jasper. I still haven't seen a strong case against my roster building philosophy.

I think it is funny that you bemoan not taking chances but that is exactly what they have done. You listed Darick, Peters, and Jasper. They all got shots with the Bills. The Bills figured out quickly that he wasn't going to work out. So they did exactly what you wanted them to do. They gave him a chance. In fact they did it with Kiko last year and Seantrel this year. They have taken risks on talented guys. They just cut the cord on Rogers. It appears for now that it was the right move. As for Hogan, Roosevelt, and Elliot blah blah blah your JAGS, if Rogers was worth a spot he would have beaten them. He didn't. So what are the Bills to do? Find another "diamond in the rough"? Or reward the guy who knows your system because he was in camp all year.

I get your point. I really do. The problem with it is that the Bills have been doing what you are saying is the best way to go. Except for some reason cutting Rogers (after proving multiple times on multiple teams that he isn't worth it) is your shining example of poor management. There are many many better examples than the cutting of Da'Rick.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it is funny that you bemoan not taking chances but that is exactly what they have done. You listed Darick, Peters, and Jasper. They all got shots with the Bills. The Bills figured out quickly that he wasn't going to work out. So they did exactly what you wanted them to do. They gave him a chance. In fact they did it with Kiko last year and Seantrel this year. They have taken risks on talented guys. They just cut the cord on Rogers. It appears for now that it was the right move. As for Hogan, Roosevelt, and Elliot blah blah blah your JAGS, if Rogers was worth a spot he would have beaten them. He didn't. So what are the Bills to do? Find another "diamond in the rough"? Or reward the guy who knows your system because he was in camp all year.

I get your point. I really do. The problem with it is that the Bills have been doing what you are saying is the best way to go. Except for some reason cutting Rogers (after proving multiple times on multiple teams that he isn't worth it) is your shining example of poor management. There are many many better examples than the cutting of Da'Rick.

having read pretty much all his posts on the subject hes not torching the bills long term, hes saying that in this decision even in hindsight he wouldve preferred to take the shot. this specific decision. he can not agree with this, and still like all kinds of other moves.

having read pretty much all his posts on the subject hes not torching the bills long term, hes saying that in this decision even in hindsight he wouldve preferred to take the shot. this specific decision. he can not agree with this, and still like all kinds of other moves.

Training camp and preseason is "the shot".

Training camp and preseason is "the shot".

and thats where the two of you disagree. kirby (and i dont think hes wrong) is simply arguing that you could drag that shot out as far as you want with absolutely no consequence, while ending it early could actually hurt your roster.

really, no one has argued that point with him beyond "what if you lose the locker room"

Edited by NoSaint

I get all that but how long should they have taken the shot for? They took a shot on him by bringing him into camp. He proved that he wasn't worth the spot he was occupying on the roster and so they parted ways. This is what I struggle with his argument. How long would have been acceptable? Is this latest instance just more proof that he doesn't get it?

I get all that but how long should they have taken the shot for? They took a shot on him by bringing him into camp. He proved that he wasn't worth the spot he was occupying on the roster and so they parted ways. This is what I struggle with his argument. How long would have been acceptable? Is this latest instance just more proof that he doesn't get it?

he surely came with a learning curve, and doesnt seem to be progressing along it well at all.

just a matter of weighing raw talent vs consequence. hes pretty talented, and there was little risk to giving more time... its a judgement call. additionally, knowing there would be a curve there, i probably came into the Da'rick experiment expecting him to mess up some stuff along the way (but with zero tolerance on drug type issues). we see that talent vs consequence ratio as falling differently. thats all.

Edited by NoSaint

and thats where the two of you disagree. kirby (and i dont think hes wrong) is simply arguing that you could drag that shot out as far as you want with absolutely no consequence, while ending it early could actually hurt your roster.

really, no one has argued that point with him beyond "what if you lose the locker room"

How does ending it early hurt the roster though? If you know it isn't working why keep at it? This regime has proven to be quick and decisive on matters. EJ getting the hook is just the latest example, cutting Rogers was one, cutting Brown last season was another.

It does hurt the depth of the roster by keeping a guy that doesn't do anything for you which is what we all (I think anyway) agree on. Where we disagree is that a player like Hogan who will contribute on special teams. The disagreement is whether Hogan or Rogers contributes more. Rogers won't cause Marrone to lose the locker room but what value does a player have that contributes nothing but is a physical specimen. Big deal he had 1000 yards receiving in the SEC. His head isn't screwed on straight. Cobi Hamilton is a player that actually led the SEC in receiving, he was DRAFTED by the Bengals and is now on the Eagles practice squad. The hand wringing over Rogers is too much in my and many others opinions.

How does ending it early hurt the roster though? If you know it isn't working why keep at it? This regime has proven to be quick and decisive on matters. EJ getting the hook is just the latest example, cutting Rogers was one, cutting Brown last season was another.

It does hurt the depth of the roster by keeping a guy that doesn't do anything for you which is what we all (I think anyway) agree on. Where we disagree is that a player like Hogan who will contribute on special teams. The disagreement is whether Hogan or Rogers contributes more. Rogers won't cause Marrone to lose the locker room but what value does a player have that contributes nothing but is a physical specimen. Big deal he had 1000 yards receiving in the SEC. His head isn't screwed on straight. Cobi Hamilton is a player that actually led the SEC in receiving, he was DRAFTED by the Bengals and is now on the Eagles practice squad. The hand wringing over Rogers is too much in my and many others opinions.

i think the handwringing amounts to a lot less than you are giving credit for. kirby and i, and a few others, have simply stated the philosophy that we wouldve followed with him. im pretty sure none of us lost sleep.

if Darick went on to succeed, it would have been an asset missing from our roster. we dont think hogan has a shot at being that type of player. theres no risk cutting hogan, the risk of cutting rogers was if he turned out good.

Edited by NoSaint

he surely came with a learning curve, and doesnt seem to be progressing along it well at all.

just a matter of weighing raw talent vs consequence. hes pretty talented, and there was little risk to giving more time... its a judgement call. we see that talent vs consequence ratio as falling differently. thats all.

I think this management group has done better than most other recent groups with exactly this. They have brought in several problem players and given them a chance. Off the top of my head in the last 2 years: Mike Williams, Duke Williams, Seantrel Henderson, Darick Rogers, and Kiko. If they prove worth their salt or "get with the program" they are given a chance to prove themselves. From the outside looking in we aren't privy to everything that goes on behind the scenes. Again it appears that this was the right call and it also appears that the Bills are giving those that DESERVE it more time to sort it out due to their size, speed, whatever.

i think the handwringing amounts to a lot less than you are giving credit for. kirby and i, and a few others, have simply stated the philosophy that we wouldve followed with him. im pretty sure none of us lost sleep.

I'm pretty sure Kirby lost some sleep when Hogan made the team again :P

This is also the 3rd Rogers thread and the first garnered 50+ pages. People were VERY upset about him being cut.

I think this management group has done better than most other recent groups with exactly this. They have brought in several problem players and given them a chance. Off the top of my head in the last 2 years: Mike Williams, Duke Williams, Seantrel Henderson, Darick Rogers, and Kiko. If they prove worth their salt or "get with the program" they are given a chance to prove themselves. From the outside looking in we aren't privy to everything that goes on behind the scenes. Again it appears that this was the right call and it also appears that the Bills are giving those that DESERVE it more time to sort it out due to their size, speed, whatever.

i get it, and why i said im not flaming the team over this one choice. i simply didnt agree with it. and thats ok.

This is also the 3rd Rogers thread and the first garnered 50+ pages. People were VERY upset about him being cut.

about 95% of the threads were simply the discussion we just had on a loop. over and over. and over.

he may have - fair enough haha

but i think many of the "anti darick" crowd were remarkably upset that we didnt fall in line with the team on the cut. THAT getting people so riled up is way stranger in my book than trying to discuss the roster building.

Ha ha, I just don't think that he will ever be good. I actually don't hate Hogan. I just don't understand keeping anybody that will never help you.

NoSaint has done a great job explaining the situation. It wasn't ever about Rogers and to your point the Bills have done really well with risk reward guys. Kaufman is another example of a guy that maybe could have developed. He has a large frame and by most accounts good hands. Randell Johnson is another great example. A raw athlete that may take some time. If he doesn't ever turn into a player you can always find guys capable of being your 6th LB. You can't always find guys that can develop into starters.

To answer your question on how long is enough, when you have an asset that you need to protect instead of him. The example this year would be if it came down to Rogers or Easley for that last spot. I would sacrifice Rogers' long term potential for Easley's elite ST play.

Jordan Gay is actually the perfect example. Jacquis (sp) Smith was let go because the contributions that Gay can make as a KOS were deemed greater. I 100% agree. The real example is that if Wynn and Lawson (to pick a couple) go down you can pick up a guy that isn't all that different from Smith.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I just don't buy that. I've been around enough locker rooms to know how these guys are wired. It's a business. The players get this better than anyone. What you have done in the past matters (both good and bad). They understand why a guy who once led the SEC in receiving gets a longer leash than Naaman Roosevelt. It's the same reason that Cyrus made the team. He certainly didn't earn that spot. Aaron Maybin, John McCargo, Torrell Troupe and James Hardy each played multiple seasons. Did they deserve it? No, but you take a chance on developing talent. You can always find others. Again, THIS ISN'T (nor has ever been) about Rogers. It is just a roster building philosophy.

And I submit it was EXACTLY that philosophy that got Rogers cut in the first place. Marrone and staff, especially in their first year, served notice that all the talent in the world doesn't mean squat if you are gonna take short cuts in practice and in meeting rooms. I won't use the term idiot, but it was CLEAR Rogers was often unprepared both on the field and off. He showed little grasp of the concepts and was often lazy to boot. I don't see how a "prospect" like that fits anyone's idea of a lucid roster building philosophy.

GO BILLS!!!

if Darick went on to succeed, it would have been an asset missing from our roster. we dont think hogan has a shot at being that type of player. theres no risk cutting hogan, the risk of cutting rogers was if he turned out good.

That is a big "if"

Considering the history of highly talented, but troubled college athletes, this guy managed to get kicked out of a major program and couldn't sniff another major program to return to. Didn't endear to any teams leading up to the draft. Had a crappy attitude on the pro team that gave him a shot. Had a horrible camp and a non-descript preseason outing. Didn't bother with special teams. Was beaten in the depth chart by three other UDFAs. After allegedly learning his lesson with his new team, saw his catches dwindle as a slow footed walk-on took his reps away. Came into his second camp unprepared. Barely made the roster. Got caught while DUI. Cut from team, and possibly from league.

So tell me at which point should a team extend a bigger chance to him?

That is a big "if"

Considering the history of highly talented, but troubled college athletes, this guy managed to get kicked out of a major program and couldn't sniff another major program to return to. Didn't endear to any teams leading up to the draft. Had a crappy attitude on the pro team that gave him a shot. Had a horrible camp and a non-descript preseason outing. Didn't bother with special teams. Was beaten in the depth chart by three other UDFAs. After allegedly learning his lesson with his new team, saw his catches dwindle as a slow footed walk-on took his reps away. Came into his second camp unprepared. Barely made the roster. Got caught while DUI. Cut from team, and possibly from league.

The minute Colts coaches benched him for the entire second half of the biggest game of the year vs. NE* in the playoffs should have removed ANY doubt for his dwindling number of supporters around here. He had a bad first half, often running incorrect and lazy routs that actually DREW coverage towards intended receivers. Luck was visibly pissed off and he was yanked as a result.

GO BILLS!!!

His talent got him a shot. They had him in and made the decision that he probably wasn't going to become a successful pro, and lo and behold THEY WERE RIGHT. They made the right decision about THIS player. You can talk about your "roster building philosophy", but they were applying that kind of philosophy when they brought him in. Training camp was enough for them to figure it out, and again, THEY WERE RIGHT.

Another troubled player will no doubt come along, and get a shot, and the team might decide he is worth it. They felt Da'Rick wasn't worth it, and THEY WERE RIGHT.

His talent got him a shot. They had him in and made the decision that he probably wasn't going to become a successful pro, and lo and behold THEY WERE RIGHT. They made the right decision about THIS player. You can talk about your "roster building philosophy", but they were applying that kind of philosophy when they brought him in. Training camp was enough for them to figure it out, and again, THEY WERE RIGHT.

Another troubled player will no doubt come along, and get a shot, and the team might decide he is worth it. They felt Da'Rick wasn't worth it, and THEY WERE RIGHT.

Maybe Da'Rick was still sad because Marrone fired him and that's why he started acting out. This is all Marrone's fault.

That is a big "if"

I'm about ready to let it be again.... i get your argument, and simply disagree in this case of hogan vs darick- we will all survive quite alright even if we agree to disagree. It's a "big if" but I think you'd be hard pressed to help a team less than hogan does - ruvell Martin, I guess? You disagree when weighing it- So be it.

The real reason I'm replying is an fyi for you for evaluating future troubled guys- if they get booted they have to transfer and a transfer to a d1 school has to sit a year. Many go to low tier schools to complete a single season to get to nfl draft eligibility, since you don't have to sit out the season. In many cases the ones that don't make it back to another big program are the ones thought to be the best nfl prospects with the least to prove on the field. The mid tier prospects will then transfer back to a d1 school the following year if they don't think they are ready to declare.

There are matters of opinion in there I don't agree with, but like I said, will let the debate go.

Edited by NoSaint

And that's the rub. Didn't Da'Rick get booted after his sophomore season? In that case, there should have been a slew of either top tier or bottom tier Division I programs vying to grab him for the senior year if there were no concerns. Yet he was nowhere on the radar.

So, this discussion is only about Da'Rick being an idiot and not about Bills unwilling to give a shot to a kid with a checkered past.

Maybe Stevie, Kiko and Duke can send a shout out to this thread.

Edited by GG

And that's the rub. Didn't Da'Rick get booted after his sophomore season? In that case, there should have been a slew of either top tier or bottom tier Division I programs vying to grab him for the senior year if there were no concerns. Yet he was nowhere on the radar.

So, this discussion is only about Da'Rick being an idiot and not about Bills unwilling to give a shot to a kid with a checkered past.

He went to the draft the next year instead of another D1 school. He was considered a 3rd round or better prospect. I too am going to let the topic die. I hope that everyone knows though that this conversation really has nothing to do with Da'Rick. If you read the comments it is about a type of player instead of a specific player.

He was declaring for the draft so no need to fight to recruit him? Just as Janoris Jenkins didn't have teams lining up. Because he declared for the draft, for example. Or Robert Quinn, as another noteworthy one (though he decided to simply sit out the year instead of going to a low tier program.

The thread/discussion can be whatever you want- go nuts man. I stated my opinion pretty coherently. Some agree, some disagree- your side stated it pretty clearly too.... I'm about ready to bow out again though. As fun as it was the first 47 times, I'm cool with my contributions today and moving on for a bit. For his own sake I hope he grows up, even if he's burned his last nfl bridge.

He went to the draft the next year instead of another D1 school. He was considered a 3rd round or better prospect. I too am going to let the topic die. I hope that everyone knows though that this conversation really has nothing to do with Da'Rick. If you read the comments it is about a type of player instead of a specific player.

Yup - darick just happened to be the one we had. Heck, doesn't even have to be a wr- though their shared position made the comparison easier.

How does everyone seem to know that Hogan has limited upside? Because he's white? To me he seems very athletic and he took up football late, he was a lacrosse player. Is it not possible that his athletic upside is even higher than Rogers? This whole conversation is very strange to me...

How does everyone seem to know that Hogan has limited upside? Because he's white? To me he seems very athletic and he took up football late, he was a lacrosse player. Is it not possible that his athletic upside is even higher than Rogers? This whole conversation is very strange to me...

Because he turns 27 in 3 weeks and has 22 catches since high school.

But that's where your argument falls apart. You're arguments have been all about Da'Rick and not about the type of player, because after cutting Da'Rick, Bills brought in Tommy Streeter and then experimented with Ramses Barden. All these guys were to fill that specific type of receiver.

Your argument also runs in the face of reality that NFL teams, including the Bills, always give an opportunity to talented but troubled players. It's how Jason Peters and Vontaze Burficts make it to the Pro-Bowl. It's how Stefan Charles and Corbin Bryant make the squad, or the undersized Robey can contribute. The difference between those guys and Da'Rick is that the non-idiots recognize the opportunity and take advantage.

So it's a red herring for you to now claim that the argument is about a player position rather than a particular player, when Bills have consistently been experimenting with that type of player in their try outs. It's not their fault Da'Rick is choosing to waste his talents away.

And Da'Rick's competition wasn't Hogan, in reality it was TJ Graham. And each team has a need for a Hogan or Ruvel Martin, who are willing to do the dirty work that prima dona WRs woudn't be caught dead doing.

But I have to chime in here and agree with those who say that the Bills have brought in this type of player repeatedly. You can say it's not about the particular player but when your criticism hinges on the team cutting that particular player, it rings a little hollow. I mean, haven't subsequent events shown that the Bills in fact exercised good judgment in this case? Giving guys a shot doesn't mean keeping them no matter what.

But I have to chime in here and agree with those who say that the Bills have brought in this type of player repeatedly. You can say it's not about the particular player but when your criticism hinges on the team cutting that particular player, it rings a little hollow. I mean, haven't subsequent events shown that the Bills in fact exercised good judgment in this case? Giving guys a shot doesn't mean keeping them no matter what.

He's addressed that, more than once. It's a discussion of opinion, and you simply fall on the other side. its to the point that no convincing is going to happen and both sides have been argued pretty extensively, and done their justice.

He's addressed that, more than once. It's a discussion of opinion, and you simply fall on the other side. its to the point that no convincing is going to happen and both sides have been argued pretty extensively, and done their justice.

Thank you. The Bills have had a great deal of success with guys like that. There are 80+ pages addressing the topic and not the player. If there is a better alternative than you don't need to protect the spot. If you can easily find a guy comparable to the guy that you are keeping you take the chance. If you need the spot you don't have that luxury. Specific to Da'Rick they didn't have a guy worth protecting in Hogan. He has produced as I suspected that he would when the decision initially bothered me. If Da'Rick did what he did this week you could have (and should have) released him. At that point you could have added Hogan, Graham, Kaufman, Roosevelt or Elliot (whichever you liked the most). None of their contributions would be all that different. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Who was worth more putting on a roster? Seantrel Henderson or Naaman Roosevelt?

I don't know if this is directed at me but Seantrel would have been someone in the same boat as Da'Rick IMO. Ironically, Cyrus ended up in that spot. I would much rather either of those guys than Legursky or Sam Young types though. If Cyrus is as bad as he looked you can always fill spots with those other types.

I don't know if this is directed at me but Seantrel would have been someone in the same boat as Da'Rick IMO. Ironically, Cyrus ended up in that spot. I would much rather either of those guys than Legursky or Sam Young types though. If Cyrus is as bad as he looked you can always fill spots with those other types.

I know, that was my point. Big upside guys.

How does Seantrel support your argument? Bills took a chance on a kid with issues and he rewarded them with stellar play and a starting job. Meanwhile the sucky second rounder is riding the pine. There aren't enough guys who have the right combination of ability and mental stability to play in the league, so lunch pail types give you a much lower downside until you land the good player.

BTW, any reason you bring Sam Young and Tim Anderson into the discussion? Tim Legursky? Chris Hogan?

I think there's a developing pattern of the "a type of player" that you don't seem to like on the Bills.

How does Seantrel support your argument? Bills took a chance on a kid with issues and he rewarded them with stellar play and a starting job. Meanwhile the sucky second rounder is riding the pine. There aren't enough guys who have the right combination of ability and mental stability to play in the league, so lunch pail types give you a much lower downside until you land the good player.

BTW, any reason you bring Sam Young and Tim Anderson into the discussion? Tim Legursky? Chris Hogan?

I think there's a developing pattern of the "a type of player" that you don't seem to like on the Bills.

Are you implying the white type? Cause I think he is pointing at the "if cut would still be free agents in October" type

And seantrel isn't his argument, ck is at this point... Because his point is about untapped upside or excelling in a role vs a dime a dozen talent.... Character issues aren't the core at all really, though they could be in an individual situation

I suspect all you want to hear is "you win"" though

Edited by NoSaint

Are you implying the white type? Cause I think he is pointing at the "if cut would still be free agents in October" type

And seantrel isn't his argument, ck is at this point... Because his point is about untapped upside or excelling in a role vs a dime a dozen talent.... Character issues aren't the core at all really, though they could be in an individual situation

I suspect all you want to hear is "you win"" though

Why bring up a guy who hasn't suited up for a decade? And no, I'm not here for the win. I'm here to illustrate the fallacy in the argument and the twist it took since Da'Rick did the inevitable. It was never about the type of player, it was always about Da'Rick. Because no matter how many times it was pointed out that Da'Rick couldn't beat out Kevin Elliott, Brandon Kaufman and Chris Hogan, the argument always came back to Hogan.

Darick, as he was called by local media here in Indy, displayed the talent that Bills fans saw in training camp. He also showed the immaturity and bad judgement. Pagano had him on a short leash. Darick knew that the was under a microscope and he screwed up. The kid needs to grow up or he will be a "should have, could have but didn't" player.

Why bring up a guy who hasn't suited up for a decade? And no, I'm not here for the win. I'm here to illustrate the fallacy in the argument and the twist it took since Da'Rick did the inevitable. It was never about the type of player, it was always about Da'Rick. Because no matter how many times it was pointed out that Da'Rick couldn't beat out Kevin Elliott, Brandon Kaufman and Chris Hogan, the argument always came back to Hogan.

It came back to him because he got the spot and predictably hasn't done anything. It could have just as easily been about Barden (who has actually done something in the league) or Ruvell Martin or Derek Hagan. CH has as many catches as me this year. If you want to go back through the 80+ pages and count how many times last year before anyone had played a game the point was made that it isn't the specific player go for it. There is plenty of that in there.

Da'Rick is their secret weapon.

They will keep him non active until at least mid-season then give him a game as a change of pace guy and he will get 100+yds and a touchdown.

Then nothing again for the rest of the season.

If that happens (happened last year) he is better than Mr. Hogan.