Stevie Johnson Struggling to Secure #3 Spot with 49ers

WickedGame

I am not sure were people are getting "if SJ gets cut Mrs Brady Would luv him" I think quite the opposite. Brady throws the ball were his WR are supposed to be. SJ freelance route running wouldnt work. I remember when NE signed CHad Ocho Cinco. He was cut because he had a hard time getting the plays down and brady didnt trust him to be were he was supposed to be for the catch. He was cut a short time later. I could b wrong, but this is how i remember it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was saying that in jest. Obviously, if presented with the opportunity to have either Chris Hogan or Stevie Johnson the Bills (or any team ever) would keep Stevie 100 times out of 100.

Really? No doubt Johnson has a good track record and was good in the past, but he was not a good player last year. At all. Hogan apparently has upside, or so we've been led to believe. Who do you want -- the (decreasingly) raw (and cheap) player with upside or a player who is clearly entering the decline period of his career -- one who had talent but a number of flaws in his game?

Really? No doubt Johnson has a good track record and was good in the past, but he was not a good player last year. At all. Hogan apparently has upside, or so we've been led to believe. Who do you want -- the (decreasingly) raw (and cheap) player with upside or a player who is clearly entering the decline period of his career -- one who had talent but a number of flaws in his game?

I will take the guy with 3 1,000 yard seasons (cheap if he is cut) over the scrub that has 20 catches between college and the NFL. I cannot believe that people actually are debating this!! I am currently banging my head on my desk.

I always thought the coaches and SJ said the spot was all that was important. SJ ran his routes funny, but made it to the spot on time. I see bloggers here say he free lances. What does that mean? Was he running streaks when he should have been running a slant? I can't find the interview right now, but Sherman talks about covering SJ. He describes how SJ works away from DB's leverage to get open.

I think SJ would be great with a great west coast type QB. Brady and Peyton would shred with SJ. Kap is more of a vertical offense QB. Less timing, more arm strength. Bress or Rodgers type Qb/offense wouldnt fit SJ.......IMO.

Edited by JaxBills

I will take the guy with 3 1,000 yard seasons (cheap if he is cut) over the scrub that has 20 catches between college and the NFL. I cannot believe that people actually are debating this!! I am currently banging my head on my desk.

He didn't have 1,000 yards last season, and was actually a sub-average receiver between the bad drops, the fumbles, and the nagging injuries. Players at that career stage tend to get worse, not better. Saying that he's still a 1000 yard receiver is like saying Steven Jackson is still a 1000 yard rusher.

He didn't have 1,000 yards last season, and was actually a sub-average receiver between the bad drops, the fumbles, and the nagging injuries. Players at that career stage tend to get worse, not better. Saying that he's still a 1000 yard receiver is like saying Steven Jackson is still a 1000 yard rusher.

that, and Jackson is almost four years older..... And plays RB...

So you would rather have Chris Hogan than Stevie Johnson for the 2014 season?

So I guess Julio Jones(Edit: substitute Roddy White if you wish) is not a 1,000 yard receiver. Why haven't the Falcons released him yet!?

Speaking of falcons, are you really railing on him because of his whopping 1 fumble total last year?

Edited by What a Tuel

So you would rather have Chris Hogan than Stevie Johnson for the 2014 season?

For me, the answer is "Yes."

Not for what Hogan brings, but rather, for what Stevie doesn't--the ability to help a young QB by running disciplined routes. Counter that with his proven ability to be a class clown / LAMP and recent run of nagging hamstring/leg injuries and it's a classic "addition by subtraction" scenario.

Allocating Johnson's $3 million+ salary save to other positions is another positive, IMO...

Edited by Lurker

Stevie has a piss poor work ethic. I'm not surprised that he's flaking out in San Francisco.

The guy is one of the hardest-working route runners in football, and numerous articles have been written on it. Watch him, even on a play not designed for him, and he is running at 100 percent effort. That is the reason SJ, who has average skills and below-average speed, has been so good against guys like Revis.

What are you basing this off of? Because he likes to joke around?

Just so I can point out what I hope is obvious to most Bills fans:

· there is a fair chance Stevie gets cut from the 49ers

· there is a 0% chance the Bills will bring Stevie in if this happens.

He was consciously removed from the team to open things up for Watkins, Williams, Woods and Goodwin, all of whom are better for us moving forward. And I can’t imagine Marrone would feel he was someone we’d need to bring back around for leadership purposes or special teams play. And with all due respect, it’s not like you’d want them to insert him into the game at crunchtime or anything, would you?

He lost me at the end of the year (and surely some of his teammates) with his complete lack of accountability for his fumble vs. Atlanta in Toronto. Chandler made the exact same mistake, but owned it like a man… like you should after a tough loss.

I don’t wish #13 any ill will, I liked the guy. His time here is simply over.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

Stevie would have been cut off this roster had we kept him. Dont think he beats out Watkiins, Williams, or Woods. Be too expensive for a 4th WR.

i don't think he would have been cut if they weren't able to trade him. But I think his role would have been diminished, and I know for a fact that the FO did not think he would handle that well from a locker room standpoint.

For me, the answer is "Yes."

Not for what Hogan brings, but rather, for what Stevie doesn't--the ability to help a young QB by running disciplined routes. Counter that with his proven ability to be a class clown / LAMP and recent run of nagging hamstring/leg injuries and it's a classic "addition by subtraction" scenario.

Allocating Johnson's $3 million+ salary save to other positions is another positive, IMO...

Keep in mind that if Stevie is cut salary isn't an issue (not that the cap space isn't there anyways). It is blowing my mind that people would actually rather have Hogan than Stevie!! That is absurd. Whether or not Stevie is even a number 2 is debatable but to say that you'd rather have a guy with 83 career yards is crazy talk. I am not advocating bringing Stevie back to be clear but my goodness.

Let me guess we are better off with Jonathan Meeks than Jairus Byrd too? I am not trying to pick on you but it is okay for us to think that there are better players out there than guys on the Bills roster. Especially when it is so blatantly obvious that Stevie's floor is about 6 stories up from Hogan's ceiling. The same can be said in the Byrd / Meeks example.