Go Ditka

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm as liberal as anyone on this site and I could construct a well thought out devil's advocate argument against the redskins changing their name. Mike ditka did not do this. Anyone giving him credit for this ridiculous, unintelligible rant is desperate to have someone simply agree with them on the subject.

Don't make it something it's not.

If I were the Redskins would I change the name? Most likely I would, but forcing them too because we can.....well,that's not the right way to do it. So, Ditkas statement about political correctness making messes out of things, is 97% true.

easy killer, was just clarifying...which you did.

The only people who count in the poll are Native Americans. You could have done a poll in the south in the 60's and found that people didn't find the N word derogatory.I'd love to see the methodology and the instrument to see where these findngs come from.

I'm 57 years old. In my lifetime I that word has always been a derogatory term. (BTW, the origin of the term is in dispute, but it hasn't' been complementary for years, if it ever was.) I would never even think of calling a Native American a "redskin" to his/her face. I'm not an ignorant fool.

Naming a team Redskins is different than a team named The Indians and quite different that a team named The Chiefs. Chiefs is an honorarium. So is Braves. Indians may now be in dispute, but it isn't a derogatory term for Native Americans, just a sloppy one, and maybe should be changed, too. You might name a team The Jews, but would you name them The Kikes? Of course not.

The absolute worst argument one can use is that the name has been used since 1932. Since when has historical bigotry been a defense of bigotry? We have evolved. Why must the recognition of the rights, and feelings of those who aren't white, Christian, etc always be fought as if it is a completely new thing? Why must these old ways be defended until the bitter end. Maybe conservatives would have a bigger base if they became proactive on some of these issues. Get in front of a social issue, for once---and not one that drags us back into the 50's.

The funny thing is, Snyder could have been a hero in this and made a TON of money. Think of all the money he would have made on new gear? Now it's the inevitable with another old rich white guy backing the wrong side. A shame, really.

yup, yep, yeah...

If it is offensive to the group that is being demeaned, it is a problem. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the severity as a white guy. We should defer to the Native Americans on this.

agreed

No matter your stance on the issue, you must admit Ditka has a sweet mustache.

Great point.....almost as nice as Dave Wannstache's

*Note to Mods: By invoking the name of Wannstache I did not intend to offend anyone or attack their facial hair preferences. It's a compliment to bushy, full grown mustache wearers...in fact, it's honorable. No offense.

*Note to Mods: By invoking the name of Wannstache I did not intend to offend anyone or attack their facial hair preferences. It's a compliment to bushy, full grown mustache wearers...in fact, it's honorable. No offense.

Thank you. I just spit my beer all over my keyboard.

You know, for all of his other shortcomings, Saddam Hussein had an excellent mustache. I've got to think he missed his true calling in life. He probably would have been a great football coach.

Someone should inform the Red Mesa Redskins that their mascot is racist.

Red Mesa High School is located in Red Mesa, Arizona, which is about 25 miles southwest of the Four Corners. The school is located on the Navajo Reservation and is a public school. We have nearly 100% Navajo students are coming from low-income families.

Carry on.

Ha ha, well said Dean. It's a little weird that people want to give him a big pat on the back for being a bigot. He is certainly ignorant on the topic as his comments clearly indicate. The issue isn't that it offends people that look like me, the issue is that it offends the Native Americans. This isn't "political correctness" it's human decency.

Actually a poll taken among native Americans showed that they overwhelmingly could care less. There are a few groups that are up in arms and of course they get all the media attention. Ditka was right, the name was chosen out of reverence for the Native American spirit. They were fierce warriors and that is what the original owners paid homage too. He isn't being a bigot. He is not prejudiced against Native Americans, he just feels, like alot of us that political correctness in America has gone too far. Should the Buffalo Bills change their name because it is offensive to the families of old cowboys and native Americans that he satirized in his Wild West shows? Where does it end?

Actually a poll taken among native Americans showed that they overwhelmingly could care less. There are a few groups that are up in arms and of course they get all the media attention. Ditka was right, the name was chosen out of reverence for the Native American spirit. They were fierce warriors and that is what the original owners paid homage too. He isn't being a bigot. He is not prejudiced against Native Americans, he just feels, like alot of us that political correctness in America has gone too far. Should the Buffalo Bills change their name because it is offensive to the families of old cowboys and native Americans that he satirized in his Wild West shows? Where does it end?

1st point: Are you citing the poll sponsored and paid for by Daniel Snyder? I'm sure that was conducted in a completely objective manner.

2nd point: Could Care Less means that they actually care.

3rd point: 2nd point: Every major group representing Native Americans has spoken out strongly against the name.

4th point: Complete revisionist history fabricated by the team that has already been proven to be false. Do you really believe the ardent white supremacist and segregationist George Preston Marshall would name his team in honor of Native Americans? Here's a man who had to be forced by the NFL to have black players on his team . You can't possibly be that unaware of history can you?

So many people get this phrase wrong...it amazes me...

Did he lie?

Stating that it's the truth was probably referring to the complete context and not simply the word liberal. So, this isn't about whether or not the name is derogatory, this is about whether liberals or conservatives are right? That seems to be the going thing anymore. "Forget context and facts, forget logic and rights, let's just force people to believe our way is the right way and go from there."

The term is not offensive, nor was its original meaning. Redneck is not a derogatory term? Does it not imply a specific group of people characterized by certain things? yet, the very people claiming Redskin is derogatory, toss that word around all the time hen referring to someone who "doesn't seem to be doing things the way they should" ect.

Like I said, at what point do we say, enough. "This is stupid, you know what this name means. Unless someone is cussing at you and using it at the same time, its the name of a sports team, and was a term of endearment before its definition change for a period of history.

It did not start out as pejorative when it was first used in the early-mid 17th century, but it was clearly a pejorative term by the late 18th century. For a definitive history of the use and meaning of the word, see Aldon Vaughan's "From White Man to Redskin: Changing Anglo-American Perceptions of the American Indian" (American Historical Review, Vol. 87, No. 4., October 1982).

If something has been pejorative for over 200 years, it's pejorative.

Edited by dave mcbride

1st point: Are you citing the poll sponsored and paid for by Daniel Snyder? I'm sure that was conducted in a completely objective manner.

2nd point: Could Care Less means that they actually care.

3rd point: 2nd point: Every major group representing Native Americans has spoken out strongly against the name.

4th point: Complete revisionist history fabricated by the team that has already been proven to be false. Do you really believe the ardent white supremacist and segregationist George Preston Marshall would name his team in honor of Native Americans? Here's a man who had to be forced by the NFL to have black players on his team . You can't possibly be that unaware of history can you?

Really, You're going to quibble about "could care less" vs. "couldn't care less"? Look it up, either way is correct. And of course it is racist, you are right. What could I have been thinking? There was a conspiracy afoot to degrade Native Americans when the original owner named the team. There had to be right? As for your third point, name the "major groups" that have spoken out against it and it had better represent every single Native American community or you have proven yourself wrong. And you didn't even address the proposed name change for the Buffalo Bills because of the questionable acitivities of that character.

Not sure what your point is by showing this. It's a school, on a Reservation made up of Native American students.

I think the point is that here is a team/school made up of Native Americans and they apparently don’t find the term derogatory. You’d think that if they thought it was offensive, they would change it, which would be fairly easy for them to do.

Do I find the name offensive, overall I would say yes but not enough to rally for the team to change their name…but I’m a white guy so it’s not personal to me. I do believe that whether or not the Washington team decides to change their nickname should be up to them. I’m trying to remember who the 1st person to say they needed to change their name. Wasn’t it a white politician? Something about this issue that really does bother me is that some members of congress are involved now. They have bigger issues to deal with than the name of an NFL team.

Overall, I’m kind of torn on the issue. On one hand, we shouldn’t intentionally do/say something that offends part of our population. On the other hand, if the team is forced to change their name, where does it end? There are quite a few teams that have a nickname that can be construed as offensive. An extreme example I’ll give here is The Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Why do the Irish have to be depicted as fighting? That’s a negative stereotype. Like I said, I know that’s an extreme example but someone could find that to be offensive so does that mean they have to change too?