Joe Buscaglia: Bills 53-man roster projection: 8/18

This is as plausible as any, but I wouldn't be happy with Tuel and Lewis as backup QBs. I'd cut one and bring in another QB as a developmental prospect. Also, cutting Hairston for Legursky would be tough to swallow even though I agree with the logic. Finally, and I know that I'm in the minority here, but Goodwin needs to show me something this pre-season to stay on the team. The guy looks like an injury machine in the making and hasn't done anything to keep his roster spot in my mind. If Graham can make a late push over the last two games I think he's a live possibility.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is as plausible as any, but I wouldn't be happy with Tuel and Lewis as backup QBs. I'd cut one and bring in another QB as a developmental prospect. Also, cutting Hairston for Legursky would be tough to swallow even though I agree with the logic. Finally, and I know that I'm in the minority here, but Goodwin needs to show me something this pre-season to stay on the team. The guy looks like an injury machine in the making and hasn't done anything to keep his roster spot in my mind. If Graham can make a late push over the last two games I think he's a live possibility.

I'd be shocked if Goodwin were cut. Those 3 40 yard plus plays last year were no fluke. He puts pressure on the defense.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd be shocked if Goodwin were cut. Those 3 40 yard plus plays last year were no fluke. He puts pressure on the defense.

GO BILLS!!!

Goodwin is too big of a playmaking threat to release. They just have to be judicious with the number of snaps he receives as it seems he could be injury prone.

GO BILLS!!!

He should have had another vs. the Panthers this preseason...In Goodwin the Bills have something almost no other team has...A WR that will beat just about anyone deep...There are WR's that can win deep, then there is Goodwin's tier...He could be active for only half the season and he's still worth keeping... B-)

He should have had another vs. the Panthers this preseason...In Goodwin the Bills have something almost no other team has...A WR that will beat just about anyone deep...There are WR's that can win deep, then there is Goodwin's tier...He could be active for only half the season and he's still worth keeping... B-)

Definitely. he just runs by people so easily AND he's good at tracking and running to the ball, as well as timing his leap. That is a dynamite trifecta if he can stay healthy. It's definitely worth the risk.

Goodwin needs cut in his second year? He is more than just a speedster too....he is a receiver. Remember what he did in the game we blew the Jets out in as the number one WR.

You do not cut someone in their second year, when drafted in the 3rd round and has already had strong games, because you think he MAY be an injury risk moving forward. Madness and shame on you!

I don't agree with his assessment of Jacquise Smith. In the preseason games I watched, Smith has been noticeable in the pass rush. I'd prefer him over Wynn.

Have to agree with you... and the guy who said rebirth of Kyle Moore. Also Mark Anderson. Smith is someone I would keep. Wynn hadn't been terrible though. Deserves a shot. Branch has to go. Also Legursky and I wish we never signed Chris Williams.

as soon as I read - "Don’t be surprised if the Bills experiment with Henderson at right tackle once Glenn proves to be ready to return, but he’ll have to show quite a bit in a short amount of time to unseat Pears." - I got sick....he's already showing to be a pretty good LT, I dont think he has to show to much more to be better then Pears as a RT...I could be wrong seeings as I don't know how much of a difference it is to play RT from LT or maybe I just don't like Pears and I'm hoping he gets put down to depth, but after that comment i couldn't take this writer seriously...I think they keep 4 RB's and cut all the FB's...I can only hope they search the cuts for a 2nd QB...

I don't see us keeping 5 RBs. Either Frank gets cut and Dixon does FB, or Dixon gets cut.

I do, just because of Dixon and Summers both having value on game day on ST and I. short yardage packages. Its a foregone conclusion either Spiller or Freddy gets nicked up, at which point Brown is your #2. Its gonna happen.

I think they keep six LBs because two of them, Brown and Johnson, are rookies. I would guess that perhaps Corbin Bryant is the man out, as we cannot afford to keep five DTs (although I'm sure we want to) because of other position needs. If they keep five DTs, I wouldn't doubt that Branch makes it over Bryant, even if he has had a poor training camp. There are almost always surprise cuts though.

I also think that Hairston stays and Legursky gets cut. Urbik is backup C. One guy to PS like Macky Mac.

IIRC a guy like Randell Johnson would still be PS eligible if he made the 53 for Week 1 and then was cut to be sent to the PS when Bradham is removed from the suspension list. Just an idea I had.

I do, just because of Dixon and Summers both having value on game day on ST and I. short yardage packages. Its a foregone conclusion either Spiller or Freddy gets nicked up, at which point Brown is your #2. Its gonna happen.

IIRC a guy like Randell Johnson would still be PS eligible if he made the 53 for Week 1 and then was cut to be sent to the PS when Bradham is removed from the suspension list. Just an idea I had.

Makes a lot of sense. Johnson doesn't seem to have really done much of anything in practice or preseason, and based on the snap counts I saw at Rumblings, hasn't even played much on special teams. If a guy that raw and late-drafted makes the team, it's because of special teams. Seems much more like a practice squad candidate than a roster spot to me. Maybe they'd worry about someone snatching him up if they cut him, but I doubt it.

Dixson isn't getting cut. Bryce brown gets cut first.

Basically no chance either one gets cut. Dixon was signed to a 3-year deal as a free agent this past offseason. Brown was acquired this past offseason for a 4th (or 3rd) round draft pick. There's no way the Bills would make either move, then turn around and spite themselves without something drastic happening. Jarius Wynn is likely safe for the same reason, although his was only a 1-year deal, so Wynn being cut would be less surprising. And I would say that Alan Branch is safe, since he signed a 3-year contract extension this past year, but in his case, it looks like something drastic is happening.

TJ Graham vs Easley: I personally want TJ Graham over Easley. I honestly think Graham's upside as a receiver and potential as a KR man, is worth a roster spot over how good Easley is right now at special teams. Marcus doesn't do anything besides special teams. I would be fine with Hogan taking over Easley's spot even though he may not be AS good.

Hairston vs Legursky: ANYBODY is better at guard than Legursky dang it! Hairston also gives depth to tackle, while Urbik gives depth to Center. I usually go for the younger, athletic players with more potential, to stick on the team over old, bad players.

Powell vs Sylvester: Powell honestly seemed to show more in pre-season games to me. I'm not sure I understand what Joe's seeing here on this one either.

Last and final thoughts: Cut Sanborn. I would love to find a replacement long snapper for Sanborn. Sure it's important to have a guy who doesn't mess up as a long snapper. But are you going to tell me our OL guru Doug Marrone can't figure out a way to create another roster spot by teaching someone else to long snap? Blows my mind.

Cut Lewis: Save those roster spots for a position or player that will see the field (Sp. Teams?) and give us a chance to improve our team. I'm never a fan of keeping 3 QB's on the roster if a team is set on their starter and has a good back up. Keep Tony Moeaki: I'd like to keep him some how. I would LOVE for him to stay healthy and recapture his rookie and sophomore seasons in KC.

Practice squad roster has went from 8 to 10. I hope we keep Dombrowski, Ladler, Wingo, Sam Miller, Jacquies Smith, Ike Igbinosun, Wheeler and who ever else the coaching staff would like to pick up off of cuts maybe.

Edited by DukeyBomb