Florio says Marrone will be fired after this season

I think that every coach in the AFC East not named Belichick is in danger of being fired if their team doesn't break .500 this year.

Agreed. Big, Fat (OK, he lost weight), Stupid (still stupid) Rex Ryan has to be high on that list. He's made some pretty bold predictions that he has been unable to back up.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Big, Fat (OK, he lost weight), Stupid (still stupid) Rex Ryan has to be high on that list. He's made some pretty bold predictions that he has been unable to back up.

Ryan recently signed a new contract. (Plus he's a bona fide good coach.)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24410910/report-rex-ryan-jets-agree-to-multi-year-contract-extension

Edited by dave mcbride

Marrone will get fired based on the progression of the offense. He has been given more pieces than maybe any coach the last decade or so. If the O is averaging 15 points per game it will be him or Hackett. EJ remains the started for another year to be given another chance, plus a mid to high round QB to develop. Depending on what happens in the rest of the league, watch Schwartz move up, and bring an aggressive vibe/swagger to both sides of the ball. I have said it before, I think we are getting looks from highly touted DCs because they think they can step in as HC later on. Blood in the water if you will. I have noticed so far in TC and in PS this year, and all of last year that the defense plays with a totally different attitude than the offensive side of the ball. Whether that is because of the guy taking the snaps, other personel, or the coach I don't know, but one plays significantly more aggressive than the other. My guess is that Pettine and Schwartz both have a similar swagger. Marrone and Hackett seem to carry themselves differently Atlanta is in a tough spot, so if all this happens watch out for Mike Smith to be a serious considerationSeems like a higher level hire than most our coaches recently.

Not my perfect scenario, just my guess.

I hope not for two reasons:

First, I doubt he would get fired if the team does well. I hope the team does well (especially given that we do not have a first round pick to take some of the sting away from playing as we have).

Second, I would like for the Bills to have some continuity. Starting over every couple of years is so frustrating.

I have no idea whether Manuel will be good this year, and I certainly hope that he's sensational. However, if he performs poorly, then I can easily see Marrone being fired. If he fails, it will reflect poorly on the whole apparatus: poor talent evaluation; poor planning for the game's central position (i.e., no credible backup QB); and inadequate coaching given the importance of the QB position (i.e., Manuel was saddled with a rookie coordinator and no QB coach).

If a new owner walks in on a 6-10 team with a 2nd year QB stuck with a mid-70s rating despite pretty awesome skill position talent, then you can expect change to happen.

As for Florio, no one is picking the Bills to be any good this year, so I think that's driving his logic.

Well if Florio said it, it must be true. New ownership always fires the HC.....except for when they don't. Move along, nothing to see here.

Irrespective of the impact of an ownership change, this team has 4-12 written all over it. Marrone will be fired, short of an improbable Jim Harbaugh type turnaround that takes the team deep into the playoffs. A dismal season (yet again), a Top 10 pick surrendered to Cleveland, new ownership group -- hard to see Marrone having a future here, as unfair as it may be.

If I had to wager a guess of an NFL reporter with the initials MF and had a last name ending in a vowel that would be fired from Pro Football Talk, I'd go with Mike Florio.

Because when Pegula bought the Sabres, he immediately cleaned house.

Oh wait...

The Sabres were coached by a legend and one of the most respected coaches in the NFL in Lindy Ruff. Doug Marrone is not in that category.

I respectfully disagree. I think he's an excellent coach.

I would love to have Rex Ryan as coach. One of the better coaches in the league and can run circles around Doug Marrone.

Irrespective of the impact of an ownership change, this team has 4-12 written all over it. Marrone will be fired, short of an improbable Jim Harbaugh type turnaround that takes the team deep into the playoffs. A dismal season (yet again), a Top 10 pick surrendered to Cleveland, new ownership group -- hard to see Marrone having a future here, as unfair as it may be.

I hope you're wrong, but the vibe I'm getting from this preseason isn't good - the offensive players seem to lack confidence and the offensive coaches (including Marrone) seem dyspeptic and unhappy. The players don't seem happy either - I mean, Manuel basically said today that he has no idea what the coaches are thinking with regard to Woods. Fred Jackson doesn't seem particularly cheery either.

That said, maybe good teams are supposed to be unhappy. At least they got Watkins, who I think was a great selection and worth the price. He'll be a difference maker.