Training camp - Pittsburgh style

YoloinOhio

Here's a full write up, play by play, by a Steelers blogger. (Odd no one from the Buffalo blogger community does this)

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/steelers-training-camp-practice-report-day-fourteen-wednesday/

Overall, looks like an up and down day. Some good, Sammy Watkins TD, finding the TE's between the seams especially a wide open Scott Chandler for a TD. And some bad, missing throws low by EJ.

I really liked the recap of the OL/DL drills. Eric Wood/Cordy Glenn sound like they are in mid season form.

Nice write up an clinical analysis and reporting. About the only Bills "reporter" that does anything like this is our own Astrobot and the Mike fella who has a gig at another website.

Just tell us what you see. Keep the axe grinding to a minimum.

Edited by Nanker

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i, for one, do not expect or want cheerleading. To clarify, I want complete, accurate reporting and not tweets that are looking for clicks and made up drama. If you saw 3 TDs and 3 overthrows, tweet about the TDs as well as the overthrows. If you tweet that 19 was open and overthrown in the end zone, don't be surprised if people don't take you seriously when a video is provided later that shows 19's route was off and was in the wrong place, resulting in the incompletion. This is why I don't post the in-practice tweets any more. They are meaningless and get people riled up. One reporter says something and rest RT it or decide to post the same thing. Yet other observers say something different about the play. Not sure what to believe. And if the media is upset that Marrone didn't give then enough sound bites or EJ was too positive, it seems they are scouring the bottom of the barrel for a "story." Again, jmo.

Well said.

i decided last week that I, personally, will be evaluating EJ and this team on reg season games only. I still post the practice wrap ups and other post practice comments, and obviously others are posting in practice tweets and that's fine. But I needed to reign in my analysis to what is real.

Believe me when I say I'm not knocking you or any of the fine folks who choose to spend their time and resources to bring this info to our doorsteps. It's super appreciated. Our interpretive skills are at issue, not the reporting, for the most part.

Nice write up an clinical analysis and reporting. About the only Bills "reporter" that does anything like this is our own Astrobot and the Mike fella who has a gig at another website.

Just tell us what you see. Keep the axe grinding to a minimum.

After reading the Buffalo media i thought the Bills were totally dominated in all facets of this scrimmage. Good to hear from the other side that was not necessarily the case. Also good to hear that Kouandijo had a couple decent moments to go along with his bad.

Believe me when I say I'm not knocking you or any of the fine folks who choose to spend their time and resources to bring this info to our doorsteps. It's super appreciated. Our interpretive skills are at issue, not the reporting, for the most part.

this is a great article:

@BuffRumblings: At what point do Bills fans take what they hear about camp and morph it into their own opinions? From @doctork44 http://t.co/snZTJ2YUdG

i decided last week that I, personally, will be evaluating EJ and this team on reg season games only. I still post the practice wrap ups and other post practice comments, and obviously others are posting in practice tweets and that's fine. But I needed to reign in my analysis to what is real.

First thanks for doing this I really like these type of threads.

I also totally agree with this take on EJ. Camp and pre-season really does not mean much, it is the regular season. My memories from last camp was that there were going to be a ton of deep balls and the receiver corps were the strength of the team. Once the regular season started there we hardly any deep balls and the receivers were not the strength of the team.

So what I have got from camp so far is that our D has the potential to be special. EJ we will have to see with regular season games. If the D is special a slight improvement will be all we need to make the playoffs.

i agree it seems like a lousy job. In fact, I was a journalism major in college and interned at the sports dept of the local paper. It was pre-twitter and actually I have never seen a more miserable group of guys. It is actually what led me to a different profession.

First thing every sports journalist will tell you: if you're doing this because you're a big fan of sports, you won't last more than a year.

I'd like to note, that while some here on this board think letting Sanborn go makes sense, since he is a waste of a roster spot, Pitt is reporting that losing Warren, their LS, is a major setback

Saw that in their report... it's kinda funny how different we think of the LS heh.

I'd like to note, that while some here on this board think letting Sanborn go makes sense, since he is a waste of a roster spot, Pitt is reporting that losing Warren, their LS, is a major setback

i saw that and I agree, that would suck. I think now that Hopkins is hurt, Sanborn is safe (if he ever wasn't)

After reading the Buffalo media i thought the Bills were totally dominated in all facets of this scrimmage. Good to hear from the other side that was not necessarily the case. Also good to hear that Kouandijo had a couple decent moments to go along with his bad.

You know what that tells me?

Kouandijo is a OG in the NFL

I don't understand how Hopkins gets injured so often. Stretch, bro. Ice. Hot tub. You have one damn body part to maintain.

my guess is similar to a baseball pitchers arm. it's strength comes from tightness, simply put. just as in normal sports, long warm ups increase aerobics and sustainability but decrease max power. that isn't to say that Hopkins shouldn't be warming up, but it is a fine line. his tightness in his hip flexor, groin, and hamstrings create strength. also as a general rule, for athletes, stronger athletes are generally tighter.

my guess is similar to a baseball pitchers arm. it's strength comes from tightness, simply put. just as in normal sports, long warm ups increase aerobics and sustainability but decrease max power. that isn't to say that Hopkins shouldn't be warming up, but it is a fine line. his tightness in his hip flexor, groin, and hamstrings create strength. also as a general rule, for athletes, stronger athletes are generally tighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu31VyXlTzo

Edited by The Wiz