Training camp - Pittsburgh style

YoloinOhio

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the type of tweet that drives me nuts about rodak:

@mikerodak: As for Manuel, his comment after practice that the Bills were “very good” on third down was odd. I tracked the Bills as 4-for-14 on 3rd down

So is that 4-14 for all 3 QBs total? What were the splits? If Manuel was, say, 3-6 on 3rd down that would be pretty good? But we don't know. Nor did he probably know the "team stats" after practice to be able to evaluate the team as a whole. He is only going by what he remembers from his reps. And, we get it, he is always positive. And the media hates it. Beating a dead horse. That is who he is.

I am not sure I take Joe B seriously anymore on his reporting of Manuel. He seems on a mission. Maybe not, but it seems that way. I have never taken Rodak seriously.

I was going to say this same thing. Joe B seems to have always hated the EJ Manuel pick. Does not give him credit, ever. He is hard to take serious when it seems he may have an agenda. Which is odd since Joe B went to FSU as well.

@BuffRumblings: Pros and cons from Latrobe and Bills vs. Steelers http://t.co/KbQqWc4XgW

I was going to say this same thing. Joe B seems to have always hated the EJ Manuel pick. Does not give him credit, ever. He is hard to take serious when it seems he may have an agenda. Which is odd since Joe B went to FSU as well.

i agree with this too. I know many like Joe B and I think it must just be a matter of personal preference. He didn't like the pick and it has driven his narrative ever since. He hems and haws a lot on the radio and just comes across very amateur to me. I know others think he is great and I've seen people say in twitter they think he is cut out for national radio. I think the exact opposite. He's hard to listen to. JMO.

@BuffRumblings: Pros and cons from Latrobe and Bills vs. Steelers http://t.co/KbQqWc4XgW

i agree with this too. I know many like Joe B and I think it must just be a matter of personal preference. He didn't like the pick and it has driven his narrative ever since. He hems and haws a lot on the radio and just comes across very amateur to me. I know others think he is great and I've seen people say in twitter they think he is cut out for national radio. I think the exact opposite. He's hard to listen to. JMO.

He's a very young guy (still in his 20s I believe) so plenty of time for him to get better. Just like EJ, ironically enough.

It's funny; over the span of about 2-3 years I've gone from liking Joe B's analysis to finding him to be a bit full of himself. Appears he may have been given a little too much praise early on and it has gone to his head. Agree that he is extremely critical of EJ.

Nothing like Rodak, however.

Mike Rodak@mikerodak 2m

The Bills’ offense was met by a stiff Steelers defense Wednesday, but they still have time to match their intensity: http://es.pn/1oQPk4t

@mikerodak: The Bills' offense was met by a stiff Steelers defense Wednesday, but they still have time to match their intensity: http://t.co/kf1qzlunFy

After all the months of complaining about Rodak, you guys sure do hinge on his every word...

Here's a full write up, play by play, by a Steelers blogger. (Odd no one from the Buffalo blogger community does this)

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/steelers-training-camp-practice-report-day-fourteen-wednesday/

Overall, looks like an up and down day. Some good, Sammy Watkins TD, finding the TE's between the seams especially a wide open Scott Chandler for a TD. And some bad, missing throws low by EJ.

I really liked the recap of the OL/DL drills. Eric Wood/Cordy Glenn sound like they are in mid season form.

Nice little recap - again, different source, different perspective...

Liked to hear that the 2s played well, I'm liking our depth this season (so far).

It's certainly not brain surgery but I am so confused why people expect reporters to cheerlead the local team, particularly a team with this recent track record.

Its not cheer lead. its selective reporting. Joe B one training camp practice reported EJ had an awful day. He left out the part where EJ had 3 TD's in a row.

It's certainly not brain surgery but I am so confused why people expect reporters to cheerlead the local team, particularly a team with this recent track record.

I've been in the field of sports journalism, so I relate to the work these guys do. What gets me is when we read predominantly bad about the team from the local guys, and then get a much more balanced take from a 3rd party with no "skin in the game" so to speak.

Objectivity seems to lose itself in emotion with some of our local guys; I understand it, but being able to temper it was always explained as part of the job. It's one of the reasons I like Mark Gaughan quite a bit; you never get a hint of emotion from him.

I've been in the field of sports journalism, so I relate to the work these guys do. What gets me is when we read predominantly bad about the team from the local guys, and then get a much more balanced take from a 3rd party with no "skin in the game" so to speak.

Objectivity seems to lose itself in emotion with some of our local guys; I understand it, but being able to temper it was always explained as part of the job. It's one of the reasons I like Mark Gaughan quite a bit; you never get a hint of emotion from him.

Gaughan is definitely a great reporter. I guess my point is that we heard an awful lot about supposed media bias during the Jauron and Gailey eras, when there was in fact nothing positive to write about.

I would love to see all the reporter haters here try to do their job well.

im not a reporter hater. I can be critical of someone without hating them. It's my opinion. And it doesn't matter whether I would do their job well. It only matters if they do their job well and whether i do my job well. This is why I said it is just my opinion.