Training camp - Pittsburgh style

YoloinOhio

im not a reporter hater. I can be critical of someone without hating them. It's my opinion. And it doesn't matter whether I would do their job well. It only matters if they do their job well and whether i do my job well. This is why I said it is just my opinion.

I wasn't talking about you, sorry if it read that way. Would you disagree that there are 'haters' who post here?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't talking about you, sorry if it read that way. Would you disagree that there are 'haters' who post here?

Im not sure, I think people have strong opinions of certain reporters, yes. I'll admit Rodak is not my favorite. For many reasons. Sorry if I took your post personally. I post a lot in this thread so wasn't sure.

Gaughan is definitely a great reporter. I guess my point is that we heard an awful lot about supposed media bias during the Jauron and Gailey eras, when there was in fact nothing positive to write about.

I don't mind an article or analysis that's negative after a game or pre-season game. What I don't like is the constant microscopic over-analysis of practice without any context to what the play was. Unfortunately some of us can't make it to practices and are just given reporters opinions without any background. And unfortunately some people take what is written as fact and not opinion. I'd like to be able to form my own opinion.

I enjoy reading the play-by-play much better because it lets me form my own opinion of how practice went.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Being a sports reporter is not hard. It is, however, a LOUSY job, one that costs many men many marriages and many, many liver cells.

That said, these guys predominately write for clicks. And keeping Bills Nation on the edge of their seats about EJ keeps us clicking.

Don't hate the players, hate the game.

Im not sure, I think people have strong opinions of certain reporters, yes. I'll admit Rodak is not my favorite. For many reasons. Sorry if I took your post personally. I post a lot in this thread so wasn't sure.

I think Rodak is still learning his way. Pretty sure he's only a few years out of college. Hopefully, with some maturity and experience he will get better.

It's certainly not brain surgery but I am so confused why people expect reporters to cheerlead the local team, particularly a team with this recent track record.

i, for one, do not expect or want cheerleading. To clarify, I want complete, accurate reporting and not tweets that are looking for clicks and made up drama. If you saw 3 TDs and 3 overthrows, tweet about the TDs as well as the overthrows. If you tweet that 19 was open and overthrown in the end zone, don't be surprised if people don't take you seriously when a video is provided later that shows 19's route was off and was in the wrong place, resulting in the incompletion. This is why I don't post the in-practice tweets any more. They are meaningless and get people riled up. One reporter says something and rest RT it or decide to post the same thing. Yet other observers say something different about the play. Not sure what to believe. And if the media is upset that Marrone didn't give then enough sound bites or EJ was too positive, it seems they are scouring the bottom of the barrel for a "story." Again, jmo.

Maybe this is semantics but hate is a pretty strong word that gets casually tossed around these days. Personally, I reserve hate for people with malicious intent such as terrorists.

Rodak, Sullivan OTOH deserve criticism and scorn perhaps but not hate.

Being a sports reporter is not hard. It is, however, a LOUSY job, one that costs many men many marriages and many, many liver cells.

That said, these guys predominately write for clicks. And keeping Bills Nation on the edge of their seats about EJ keeps us clicking.

i agree it seems like a lousy job. In fact, I was a journalism major in college and interned at the sports dept of the local paper. It was pre-twitter and actually I have never seen a more miserable group of guys. It is actually what led me to a different profession.

A proper journalist reports what happens, doesn't leave details out, and doesn't attach an opinion to the piece.

Unfortunately, most journalists these days, leave details out that don't fit their agenda, then also inject their opinions all over the place.

i, for one, do not expect or want cheerleading. To clarify, I want complete, accurate reporting and not tweets that are looking for clicks and made up drama. If you saw 3 TDs and 3 overthrows, tweet about the TDs as well as the overthrows. If you tweet that 19 was open and overthrown in the end zone, don't be surprised if people don't take you seriously when a video is provided later that shows 19's route was off and was in the wrong place, resulting in the incompletion. This is why I don't post the in-practice tweets any more. They are meaningless and get people riled up. One reporter says something and rest RT it or decide to post the same thing. Yet other observers say something different about the play. Not sure what to believe. And if the media is upset that Marrone didn't give then enough sound bites or EJ was too positive, it seems they are scouring the bottom of the barrel for a "story." Again, jmo.

Which is why, ultimately, the game is decided by points in the regular season. All "this" going on around us, is a made up fantastical world of make believe and conjecture, 95% which is misguided and/or false.

Maybe this is semantics but hate is a pretty strong word that gets casually tossed around these days. Personally, I reserve hate for people with malicious intent such as terrorists.

Rodak, Sullivan OTOH deserve criticism and scorn perhaps but not hate.

"Don't scorn the player, scorn the game" doesn't quite have the same ring.

Which is why, ultimately, the game is decided by points in the regular season. All "this" going on around us, is a made up fantastical world of make believe and conjecture, 95% which is misguided and/or false.

i decided last week that I, personally, will be evaluating EJ and this team on reg season games only. I still post the practice wrap ups and other post practice comments, and obviously others are posting in practice tweets and that's fine. But I needed to reign in my analysis to what is real.