A few takes from the game/preseason so far

I would love Cohen on this team. I never got the branch love.

The problem with Cohen is no anchor. Great first step though.

I think Branch will come along. When he is in shape he is both stout and has the wingspan to reach across gaps and make plays in the run game. He might be a better fit inside next to Williams on early downs with Dareus going outside. Dareus and Williams are explosive together at times but their games aren't very complementary to each other. I was kind of intrigued by some of the work Dareus did on the edge and stunting last year that he might be able to generate a decent pass rush from DE.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-The OL struggles in short yardage because they can't get low. Not just the several 6'8" guys either, even Wood and Urbik. On the 4th down play at the goal line Wood had been stood up the play before so he overcompensated and flopped on the ground and his man went over him and got to Jackson's feet. I know people think Wood is great here but that inability to hit that low point and still be in control in short yardage is what keeps him from being in that pro bowl class. Urbik is stout but he's not athletic enough to turn his defender and seal and he definitely can't get low. Not sure who had the idea to put him at TE but you'd be better off with a TE out wide on a DE IMO. Not sure we are going to see improvement in these short yardage situations this year. There is a lot of talent on the OL but they are better equipped to pass block.

Then perhaps they would be better off passing on 3rd and short or 4th and inches. Just because fans think they should be able to get it on the ground, doesn't mean the line is suited for it. Of course people will whine if they do pass, but fans whine no matter what.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Fred also did a terrible job at getting low by the way. He hit the hole pretty hi. They were begging for a read option on both 3rd and 4th down. Also putting one WR would have atleast given a little hesitance that we might throw. DIdn't think there was a need for 2 jumbo packages in a row

EDIT: referring to going for it on the goal line

I think Dixon is probably the best guy for the job but I don't think Fred is bad at it. He's a fall forward guy, but when there are people at his feet in the backfield or his giant OL is stalemated by a low surge and there isn't a hole then he isn't going to be the guy who jumps over a pile. He can't do that. I just think that this OL simply doesn't get under shoulder pads. I know Williams and Wood are first rounders and Urbik was a 3rd but the Bills aren't very athletic inside. They are just BIG.

I think Dixon is probably the best guy for the job but I don't think Fred is bad at it. He's a fall forward guy, but when there are people at his feet in the backfield or his giant OL is stalemated by a low surge and there isn't a hole then he isn't going to be the guy who jumps over a pile. He can't do that. I just think that this OL simply doesn't get under shoulder pads. I know Williams and Wood are first rounders and Urbik was a 3rd but the Bills aren't very athletic inside. They are just BIG.

Great point on falling forward on fred - absolutely right. I just tin he hits it a little high and a little slow in the type of situation we saw list night. I like Dixon in the role. Summers wasn't all that bad last year at it, but the next cut he makes when a hole is plugged will be the first.

Btw, I really enjoyed yOur posts today. Thanks for the insight and the conversation.

I thought it was Urbik that got stood up on Fjax 4th down run? The guards are still the weak spot on that line. Hopefully something will gel by September.

I also thought Iggy played well against the scrubs. Didn't notice anything good out of the second level DEs.

I thought it was Urbik who got stood up and his man clogged the hole

The problem with Cohen is no anchor. Great first step though.

I think Branch will come along. When he is in shape he is both stout and has the wingspan to reach across gaps and make plays in the run game. He might be a better fit inside next to Williams on early downs with Dareus going outside. Dareus and Williams are explosive together at times but their games aren't very complementary to each other. I was kind of intrigued by some of the work Dareus did on the edge and stunting last year that he might be able to generate a decent pass rush from DE.

That first step is VICIOUS and what they need to disrupt running plays in the backfield like he's been doing the past 2 games

Successful on game day goes a long way for this team. Coach Marrone is right . Bills need to win in the preseason with whoever is on the field .

I actually liked his pissy attitude after the loss last week. Enough already! Things have to change and it starts at the top. It is NOT ok to blow games, preseason or otherwise. The culture has to change until we are winners. It mattered less for the Super Bowl Bills - they KNEW they could flip the switch and win when it counted. We just HOPE to win now, and are too often disappointed.

I actually liked his pissy attitude after the loss last week. Enough already! Things have to change and it starts at the top. It is NOT ok to blow games, preseason or otherwise. The culture has to change until we are winners. It mattered less for the Super Bowl Bills - they KNEW they could flip the switch and win when it counted. We just HOPE to win now, and are too often disappointed.

We will shall see how this pans out. But it is clear to me, that is this point. Win against your man and then win the game .

I like that he practices what they are not good at yet. goal line and red zone. They have improved on third downs lately. Thats a plus

Edited by 3rdand12

Pettine's D is designed to disrupt the passing game in a pass happy league.

Last year(and so some extent the season before) there was a market correction and some teams started having success running the ball again.

Enter the new contact rules in the passing game.

If the preseason officiating is any indicator, teams with pure passers at QB and pass disrupting offenses are going to get another boost.

Not a Schwartz fan. I think he is not only NOT a genius but a stubborn hardhead about his wide nine 4-3. Good DC's are adaptive. I think he is not. We will soon know.

Our first team D has been pretty solid even with missing Mcluvin. The front four is nasty. I was never a fan of Schwartz either, but he is a good cord and our D doesnt seem like they miss Pettine much. It's early and we have only played practice games but I have been impressed. Especially with the 1st string run D! Edited by snamsnoops

The good:

-EJ looked better. It was nice to see him make relatively accurate throws right out of the gate. He is a notoriously slow starter so Hackett needs to give him comfort throws to start and I think he did last night.

-Seantrel Henderson played well again. The guy is a grizzly bear when he wants to be. The sack Hardy got against him was on Manuel (and Richardson). Hardy is far better than JPP so it was a good test early. Henderson nearly made a GREAT block on the 4th down play and let his man get away after pushing him into the endzone but he knew it and that was a good learning experience, IMO.

-All the running backs looked good. Bryce Brown has GREAT talent. I am as concerned as anyone about his lack of smarts, his loaf of bread ball handling and his propensity to head for the outside but talent-wise he has as much as anyone on the team.

-WR corps looks to be outstanding. EJ will have no excuses with the WR. The TE's are another story.

The bad:

-EJ still staring down and patting the ball prior to pass.....the pat thing ends up being the equivalent of a slow release. He needs to just keep both hands on the ball until throwing if he needs to stabilize the ball before releasing it. His accuracy looks improved but he still doesn't put the ball where it needs to be to allow playmakers to make plays on shorter throws. Hopefully he keeps progressing and doesn't plateau then decline like Trent/JP/Fitz once opponents had film on them.

-Linebacking corps is big and slow. They are excellent at the POA but QB's are going to continue to have lots of room to run on these guys if Schwartz doesn't get creative. Pettine was excellent at getting that instant pressure that prevents a QB from getting thru the end of his drop and being able to step up with power. Saw good "natural" pressure last night from the front 4 but the QB's were abie to wait for a hole to open up and step up and run for huge gains. In the open field Spikes and Rivers are lost. I would prefer to see "bad Tannehill"...like last year...as opposed to the guy who ran wild on Wanny's D a couple years ago so Schwartz needs to be up to the task of mixing things up. The D was more vanilla last night than against NYG but I will admit that I don't like Schwartz or his wide nine and I don't trust him to adapt his gameplan from week to week.

-No depth at DE. Jerry Hughes looks improved over last year but he is going to provide diminishing returns if forced to play the kind of snaps Mario does and Lawson is not good as a down DE. Again, Pettine was able to be creative and get the most out of guys like Lawson and Hughes. It will be a big challenge to get those kind of results in a Schwartz 4-3. I would love for them to be looking for DE help.

-The OL struggles in short yardage because they can't get low. Not just the several 6'8" guys either, even Wood and Urbik. On the 4th down play at the goal line Wood had been stood up the play before so he overcompensated and flopped on the ground and his man went over him and got to Jackson's feet. I know people think Wood is great here but that inability to hit that low point and still be in control in short yardage is what keeps him from being in that pro bowl class. Urbik is stout but he's not athletic enough to turn his defender and seal and he definitely can't get low. Not sure who had the idea to put him at TE but you'd be better off with a TE out wide on a DE IMO. Not sure we are going to see improvement in these short yardage situations this year. There is a lot of talent on the OL but they are better equipped to pass block.

Great write up, BADO. And I have no real disagreements with any of it. I for one, loved that they tried to muscle the first down near the goal line. I was fairly encouraged by Marrone taking the opportunities to work on things, rather than taking the conservative (and more realistic) approach in the preseason.

I will suspend judgment on Schwartz until I see what he turns out in the regular season. I liked a lot of what Pettine did last year, but despite all his creativity he never found a way to stop the run last year. I'm sure that was due to injuries to some extent. But I think Schwartz may have a better approach in that area. Of course, what he does in that area may not pay off in others. I guess we will find out.

Edited by The Dean

Great write up, BADO. And I have no real disagreements with any of it. I for one, loved that they tried to muscle the first down near the goal line. I was fairly encouraged by Marrone taking the opportunities to work on things, rather than taking the conservative (and more realistic) approach in the preseason.

I will suspend judgment on Schwartz until I see what he turns out in the regular season. I liked a lot of what Pettine did last year, but despite all his creativity he never found a way to stop the run last year. I'm sure that was due to injuries to some extent. But I think Schwartz may have a better approach in that area. Of course, what he does in that area may not pay off in others. I guess we will find out.

I really don't usually take a stance against a coach/player with a "meh" background like Schwartz(as opposed to proven failure backgrounds like Jauron brought to Buffalo) but IMO he has had talent to work with and he just hasn't been all that good. My first thought when he was fired was that St. Louis would pick him up IMMEDIATELY but when they instead chose the disgraced Greggo I felt like my opinion that Schwartz was an overrated DC was further re-inforced. If Fisher wasn't absolutely clamoring to get him back then maybe the fact is that the former boy genius is just another one trick pony in a digital age like his long washed up DC in Detroit Gunther Cunningham. Prove me wrong Schwartz.

I really don't usually take a stance against a coach/player with a "meh" background like Schwartz(as opposed to proven failure backgrounds like Jauron brought to Buffalo) but IMO he has had talent to work with and he just hasn't been all that good. My first thought when he was fired was that St. Louis would pick him up IMMEDIATELY but when they instead chose the disgraced Greggo I felt like my opinion that Schwartz was an overrated DC was further re-inforced. If Fisher wasn't absolutely clamoring to get him back then maybe the fact is that the former boy genius is just another one trick pony in a digital age like his long washed up DC in Detroit Gunther Cunningham. Prove me wrong Schwartz.

Wade Phillips and Gregg Williams most likely the top two D coordinators in the league. I know Dick Lebeau, will get mentioned. hence I said arguably. That said, if one of the top guys at his job, say top 2 or 3 at what he does in the league. Why would you grab say the 6th best guy? The HC's rely on wins, something Fisher doesn't have many of. Comparing Schwartz to Williams isn't fair at all.

That's like saying, Ben Rothlisberger isn't any good because a team signed Tom Brady instead

Wade Phillips and Gregg Williams most likely the top two D coordinators in the league. I know Dick Lebeau, will get mentioned. hence I said arguably. That said, if one of the top guys at his job, say top 2 or 3 at what he does in the league. Why would you grab say the 6th best guy? The HC's rely on wins, something Fisher doesn't have many of. Comparing Schwartz to Williams isn't fair at all.

That's like saying, Ben Rothlisberger isn't any good because a team signed Tom Brady instead

Gregg Williams is very overrated. Look at the rankings of his defenses over the years. Lots of average. In NO, his defenses finished 25th, 4th, and 24th. In Washington, his defenses finished 3rd, 9th, 31st, and 8th. In Buffalo,, his defesnes finished 21st, 15th, and 2nd (yes, I know he was the head coach, but he was really the DC too). In Tennessee, his defenses finished 22nd, 16th, 17th, and 1st.

The average ranking of his defenses is 14.14 and the median is 15.5.

Basically, his record says that he's average-to-very-slightly-above-average. Interestingly, Schwarz's record is almost identical, but both have been labeled defensive gurus. I suspect that this is less a result of production than the fact that both DCs have reputations for running defenses that are exceptionally dirty.

Edited by dave mcbride

Gregg Williams is very overrated. Look at the rankings of his defenses over the years. Lots of average. In NO, his defenses finished 25th, 4th, and 24th. In Washington, his defenses finished 3rd, 9th, 31st, and 8th. In Buffalo,, his defesnes finished 21st, 15th, and 2nd (yes, I know he was the head coach, but he was really the DC too). In Tennessee, his defenses finished 22nd, 16th, 17th, and 1st.

The average ranking of his defenses is 14.14 and the median is 15.5.

Basically, his record says that he's average-to-very-slightly-above-average. Interestingly, Schwarz's record is almost identical, but both have been labeled defensive gurus. I suspect that this is less a result of production than the fact that both DCs have reputations for running defenses that are exceptionally dirty.

I've always thought that Greggo's defense is designed to bully weak offenses. If you have a young/crappy QB and/or protection issues, Greggo will embarrass you. That's where he makes his money. But if your QB is seasoned and has some time, guys will be wide open for huge gains.