Round 2 : Sale of the team

Buffalo Rumblings...Tim Graham...suddenly a light bulb has gone off above my head. Can't discuss it but something makes sense to me now.

PTR way to make us all wonder! UGH! lol

Actually I thought it was a pretty good interview. For all the flack that TG gets I thought he did a good job.

Also, I think I noticed someone on here mention Danny Wegman as a potential owner. I do not want to argue finances of DW but I really can not see the family putting themselves in that position. They are very private(the NFL is not) and although charitable I do not see them doing anything like this wether or not they can afford it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know for a fact the Wegmans do not have nearly that kind of money.

lol careful you might start something that will take away from the purpose of the thread. BTW I am not disagreeing(or agreeing :flirt: ). I happened to see a thread on BB.com forums and that is why I phrased my statement that way.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

There are no threats to move the team. ;)

It really cannot happen. The ONLY reason it's even a 1% chance is because, "It's the Bills."

Which means it could happen.

But there is no logical way it could happen. There are dozens of reasons why it won't, and no really good one that it will.

Lack of a new stadium would do the trick in 5 or 6 years. This moving the team thing will hang over the franchise until the state buys a new stadium for the Bills. The new owner would be a fool to piss away $1b on a stadium serving WNY. The government has to be the fool. Not sure they will do it. but maybe they will.

@BuffRumblings: Awesome insight from @ByTimGraham on tonight's Buffalo Rumblings Live. Re-watch it here: http://t.co/aZrcDvMq0t

Thanks for the link Yolo.

Borderline free for all, as RW made no specific terms in his will to keep the team in Buffalo...he did setup that lease tho :thumbsup:

Morgan Stanley really not a good choice to control this sale, as they had no real prior experience in selling a pro sports team. Some calling the sale process a "circus".

Who we know or think will keep the team in Buffalo

Terry Pegula- known bidder

Tom Golisano- now known bidder

Donald Trump- known bidder

Jim Kelly / Jeff Gundlach- now known bidder - minority share with bigger owner?

We know or think will move the team eventually

JBJ / MLSE

-----? rumors are, seems like several other Canadian NHL owners are now interested in pursuing the Bills. This to screw with Pegula?

-----?

-----?

We know for a fact the NFL would rather see a single owner win the bid then a group.

Maybe Gundlach and Kelly want to team with Pegula.....

Why would they want to go in against a guy with enormous resources who has proven that he will spend on the team/facilities and has done so much already for WNY?

Pegula is pretty much every Bills fan's dream.... and they work to sink that bid? Just doesn't make sense.

On the surface, Pegula is the best choice for Buffalo. But Pegula is all ready actively doing his part for the city of Buffalo. I think it could be good if another group brings money to Buffalo. Our perception is Pegula seems very favorable for keeping the team in Buffalo, but that does not mean that he is the only one. More millionaires means more opportunities for the city of Buffalo. Pegula is a great homegrown prospect, not denying that at all. However, an additional influx of investment to the area could be even better. We worry about getting an owner that will keep the team in Buffalo, but there is more to think about than just keeping the Bills in Buffalo. We could end up with a Google Billionaire who not only owns a team, but is also investing in other local businesses.

On the surface, Pegula is the best choice for Buffalo. But Pegula is all ready actively doing his part for the city of Buffalo. I think it could be good if another group brings money to Buffalo. Our perception is Pegula seems very favorable for keeping the team in Buffalo, but that does not mean that he is the only one. More millionaires means more opportunities for the city of Buffalo. Pegula is a great homegrown prospect, not denying that at all. However, an additional influx of investment to the area could be even better. We worry about getting an owner that will keep the team in Buffalo, but there is more to think about than just keeping the Bills in Buffalo. We could end up with a Google Billionaire who not only owns a team, but is also investing in other local businesses.

There are no google billionaires bidding on the team. There are only 4 guys. Of the 4, Pegula is the best for us

There are no google billionaires bidding on the team. There are only 4 guys. Of the 4, Pegula is the best for us

So, is there another mystery bidder with mega billions bidding or was the Pritzker family rumor false and we are truly left with the Final 4 we all thought at the outset ? If so, I don't see anything standing in Pegula's way to own this team.

So, is there another mystery bidder with mega billions bidding or was the Pritzker family rumor false and we are truly left with the Final 4 we all thought at the outset ? If so, I don't see anything standing in Pegula's way to own this team.

The Pritzker family was never bidding: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-pritzker-family-member-passes-on-bid-for-buffalo-bills-20140811-story.html

There is a lot of garbage being circulated. I think it's to try and save face. Kryk's info has been the most accurate. There are only 4 bids in as per him

What if #12 joined the JBJ group?

Then it might finally convince everyone that there's no way the JBJ group is getting their hands on this team without a guarantee that they'll be keeping them here.

That said, it's not gonna happen.

Lack of a new stadium would do the trick in 5 or 6 years. This moving the team thing will hang over the franchise until the state buys a new stadium for the Bills. The new owner would be a fool to piss away $1b on a stadium serving WNY. The government has to be the fool. Not sure they will do it. but maybe they will.

No owner is going to be expected to fork over $1B out of pocket for a new stadium. First off, I doubt a new stadium will cost $1B here; probably between $800M and $900M for a retractable roof stadium. Second, there will most certainly be NFL G4 Program money contributed, which gets paid for out of future revenues. Third, the state and county will almost assuredly chip in funds, especially if a guy like Pegula--who has invested so much private money into the area--gets the team (which many of us still believe is the most likely scenario).

I'm going to guess the money will look like this:

Owner's $300M in cash + State/County $300M in BANs and other future tax-based money + $200M G4 funding = new stadium

I heard that the Bills are going to be sold and moved to either Toronto or LA. Discuss...

:lol:

Well played sir.

No, no other mega billionaire family that I know of...it was Pritzkers all along. Nobody said they were bidding; just that they had been involved since the beginning and were still hanging around making inquiries.

Kelly the Dog had said earlier, before the most recent article, that Pritzkers were moving on from the idea of purchasing the team.

All signs still point to El Pegual.

Yes, but Gecko got it in the end didn't he? and Blue Star was bought by an owner who guaranteed the company would not be "broken up" and Sold.

Yeah well that's a Hollywood storybook ending for ya, right there. In real-life Bud Fox would've had to just take it in the rear-prison style. Lol

Having Pegula control both teams and the entire neighborhood feels like too much power concentrated on one guy.

But one of Buffalo's biggest problems over the years has been all the petty turf wars between ward bosses all looking to get their beaks wet. So having power spread around is not so great either.

Things are happening in Buffalo mostly because Pegula makes them happen. So I guess I'm willing to take a chance on him being a benevolent dictator since Buffalo's brand of "people power" has left the city a basket case.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

They're good; if you're in Buffalo, you need to get to Jonny C's in East Amherst. Their subs make Wegmans look like dumpster pickings.

Citation needed.

Do I even need to mention Viola's in Niagara Falls?

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forgottenbflofeatures/niagarafallssteaksub.html

Agreed...which I find funny, because DiBella's recipes are what Wegmans uses in their sub shop.

I spoke to the owner of DiBellas years ago shortly after Wegmans started their sub shops.

He said the bread recipe he sold Wegmans was close to the one they used in his shops, but not exactly.

Which makes sense, and explains why DiBellas has always been a bit better.

I spoke to the owner of DiBellas years ago shortly after Wegmans started their sub shops.

He said the bread recipe he sold Wegmans was close to the one they used in his shops, but not exactly.

Which makes sense, and explains why DiBellas has always been a bit better.

Ah, ok...makes sense.

So out of 4 potential owners, 3 would keep the team in Buffalo.

So the way I look at it, Bills have at least a 75% chance of staying! :thumbsup:

CBF

It's refreshing to see a Canadian happy to see the Bills stay in Buffalo. What really would be nice is if a group of fans from Canada come together in some sort of fan alliance to keep the team here. That would attract some serious attention.

It's refreshing to see a Canadian happy to see the Bills stay in Buffalo. What really would be nice is if a group of fans from Canada come together in some sort of fan alliance to keep the team here. That would attract some serious attention.

It would be nice to find another benevolent owner like Pegula to buy team and watch him invest in the city the way TP has, however, as we all know from past owners in Buffalo and elsewhere, what Pegula is doing is certainly in the minority of sports owners -- so, as they say, I'll take a bird in hand over the risk we'll get an owner that will be more in it for themselves then the community and not willing to invest even more of their cash in Buffalo

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

It would be nice to find another benevolent owner like Pegula to buy team and watch him invest in the city the way TP has, however, as we all know from past owners in Buffalo and elsewhere, what Pegula is doing is certainly in the minority of sports owners -- so, as they say, I'll take a bird in hand over the risk we'll get an owner that will be more in it for themselves then the community and not willing to invest even more of their cash in Buffalo

I went to look at how many billionaires there are in the Buffalo area, and Forbes list from 2013 showed one. I figured it was Pegula, but it was not. It was:

Buffalo( New York): 1 Billionaire

Jeremy Jacobs Sr $2.7 Billion

When I looked for Pegula, he shows up under:

Miami: 25 Billionaires

Terrence Pegula $3.0 Billion

So the options for benevolent overlord billionaire in the Buffalo area are very limited.

But why is Pegula listed under Miami, is his primary residence there?

I went to look at how many billionaires there are in the Buffalo area, and Forbes list from 2013 showed one. I figured it was Pegula, but it was not. It was:

Buffalo( New York): 1 Billionaire

Jeremy Jacobs Sr $2.7 Billion

When I looked for Pegula, he shows up under:

Miami: 25 Billionaires

Terrence Pegula $3.0 Billion

So the options for benevolent overlord billionaire in the Buffalo area are very limited.

But why is Pegula listed under Miami, is his primary residence there?

Guessing El Pegual claims residence in Florida for tax purposes.

Don't forget to add a bunch of Canadian Bacon to it too!!

And the Cheese has to be Swiss, just like his promises it is full of HOLES!!!

I would eat that, but it would probably give me bad gas. Speaking of natural gas, I think Pegula should get the team!