Round 2 : Sale of the team

The problem had little to with the owner. The source of the problem was two headstrong people clashed and both were unyielding. The owner was involved to the entent that the situation was untenable. One of them had to go. Since the team mortgaged its future on this trenemdously talented diva qb it is not surprising that the HC left.

Dan Snyder is not now interfering with the football operation. He wants to be kept apprised of what is going on and on impending moves. But the way he behaved before is not the way he is behaving now. The past meddling criticisms he received before are to be fair not now warranted.

I live in the DC area as well and would concur with your assessment. Snyder has kept his hands off for a while now. The most recent problems to me have been all Shanahan(s).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have mentioned this in another post.

If I recall correctly, the next scheduled owners meeting is on October 8 or 9. I do not recall if there is another one scheduled before the end of the year.

If the Trust wants to complete the sale before the end of the year (there may be tax reasons for doing so), it would seem to me that the sale has to be wrapped up fairly quickly so that the owners have an opportunity to do their due diligence on the future owner in advance of the October meeting.

If I recall correctly, the next scheduled owners meeting is on October 8 or 9. I do not recall if there is another one scheduled before the end of the year.

If the Trust wants to complete the sale before the end of the year (there may be tax reasons for doing so), it would seem to me that the sale has to be wrapped up fairly quickly so that the owners have an opportunity to do their due diligence on the future owner in advance of the October meeting.

Two things:

1) I'm almost certain there's another owners meeting in December

2) The owners pretty much know who they would/wouldn't approve. El Pegual would be a slam dunk, and I highly doubt either Golisano or JBJ Group would meet much resistance (unless the owners had an inkling they wanted to move the team). Trump is another matter altogether I believe.

Two things:

2) The owners pretty much know who they would/wouldn't approve. El Pegual would be a slam dunk, and I highly doubt either Golisano or JBJ Group would meet much resistance (unless the owners had an inkling they wanted to move the team). Trump is another matter altogether I believe.

There is an owners meeting in December.

While the NFL owners may "approve" the JBJ Group, like you said, because of that inkling and even if they believed them that they wanted to try to keep the team in buffalo, I would bet they wouldn't approve the sale. It would be too risky for them. The vast majority of Bills fans would simply not believe them not matter what they say. Until ground was broke on a new stadium in the Buffalo area that would continue. There is probably (I don't know for sure) no way the Toronto could or would 100% assure the city and league they won't move the team after the lease. i just don't believe they would do it.

I live in the DC area as well and would concur with your assessment. Snyder has kept his hands off for a while now. The most recent problems to me have been all Shanahan(s).

In general we are in agreement on this issue so I don't want to exaggerate the differences. There were no angels in this conflict. RGIII made it clear that after his injury and strenuous rehab in the offseason that he was going to be the starter when the season started. He even had a commercial promoting the fact that he was back, all the way back. The reality was that he should not have been the starter for at least the first four games buying him more time to get back to full health. It was very obvious to everyone that he was a shadow of his self. It didn't help when surrogates such as his father publicly and privately blamed the HC for exposing his son to injury by the type of offense he ran.

There was another major complication to the Shanahan/Griffin dynamic: the HC's son was the offensive coordinator. The OC was not happy with the way RG III was responding to his coaching and play calling. And RG III was not enamored with the OC. What made the situation even worse is that RG III had a habit of spouting out direct and indirect barbs when he was answering reporters' question which kept the tension going. It was simply a bad situation where the main problem stemmed from the conflicting personalities more than with any particular issue.

Edited by JohnC

While the NFL owners may "approve" the JBJ Group, like you said, because of that inkling and even if they believed them that they wanted to try to keep the team in buffalo, I would bet they wouldn't approve the sale. It would be too risky for them. The vast majority of Bills fans would simply not believe them not matter what they say. Until ground was broke on a new stadium in the Buffalo area that would continue. There is probably (I don't know for sure) no way the Toronto could or would 100% assure the city and league they won't move the team after the lease. i just don't believe they would do it.

Indeed.

As you know, it's very, very, very unlikely to even come to that though :thumbsup:

I would think the Trust would want this done in October. Waiting until December could be problematic and not leave enough time to deal with issues if they arise. People want as much deal certainty as possible, and no seller wants to take the risk that some kind of macro or buyer specific adverse change could occur.

While, I believe there is another owner's meeting in December, I thought I recall that the one in December would not be one where they could vote, I thought I read there are only two full meetings per year -- so, if we miss October, I think the next one is the one in March.

While, I believe there is another owner's meeting in December, I thought I recall that the one in December would not be one where they could vote, I thought I read there are only two full meetings per year -- so, if we miss October, I think the next one is the one in March.

IIRC Tim Graham mentioned they can vote on the sale in December if need be.

If you're miffed at Pegs because you think his "maybe someone was holding the painter's hand" statement was blaming Golisano, your first mistake was listening to Sullivan's interpretation, which was either wrong or intentionally misinterpreted, making him either stupid or an ass (take your pick). Because the correct explanation of the statement is not that Golisano was holding Regier's hand back, but that someone else was making the brush strokes for Regier during the Sabres' successful run. He certainly wasn't blaming Golisano and may have been crediting him, although I doubt Golisano had any involvement outside of writing the checks.

I do agree with Sullivan that Regier did a lousy job of drafting and developing talent, and held onto marginal talent. But again, the team was very successful under him while Golisano was being cheap so, what changed? Was it just the inevitable slide a team that has had sustained success undergoes? Was someone else who Pegs got rid of responsible for Regier's success under Golisano? Were players starting to tune out Ruff?

Third, the "culture of losing" is temporary. Pegs tried the FA route and that failed miserably. Now it appears he's looking to get some top-of-the-draft talent like other teams have done, with his eyes set on Connor McDavid. We'll see where the team is in about, oh, 2 years.

The easiest way to explain it is the game changed. Golisano got a decent team when he bought it. One the lockout happened and the rules changed they shifted harder than any team with the rule changes. They brought in smaller, faster skill player.

This plan paid off when other teams were still playing the lumbering defensive game and couldn't keep up.

Slowly but surely, the league had evolved again and the team that was built in 06-07 became the old model.

I will admit that pegula threw money at the problem back then but he was green. He knows better now that it's a combination of money and the right people doing the job.

The Worst Part About This Is The season Is About To Start And This Whole F***ing Ordeal Is Hanging On Our Shoulders Like A Vulture.... It Would Be Great To Just Watch The Offseason And Evaulate All The Talent We Have Without This Looming, Hope This Comes To An End Sooner Than Later, (Im Def On The El Pegual Train Fo Sho), Just My Bulls*** thoughts, But Im Sure We All Feel The Same!

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!

Can you imagine the complete clusterf***k if, after all this, the trust decided to sell to JBJ?

"What's so bad aboot jbj eh?"

The future of TBD if he wins.

On the plus side there would be a lot less arguing over other teams players vs ours.

The Worst Part About This Is The season Is About To Start And This Whole F***ing Ordeal Is Hanging On Our Shoulders Like A Vulture.... It Would Be Great To Just Watch The Offseason And Evaulate All The Talent We Have Without This Looming, Hope This Comes To An End Sooner Than Later, (Im Def On The El Pegual Train Fo Sho), Just My Bulls*** thoughts, But Im Sure We All Feel The Same!

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!

kinda poking fun at you but I'm also curious, why is every words first letter capitalized(other than thoughts)?

Edited by The Wiz

There's also an issue that's been brought up that estate taxes are due 8 months after death which would put that date in November. What I'm not certain on though is would there be any estate taxes due on the team until it's sold. How do you know what's it's true worth is until its sold? Or do they tax the estimated value now and rest is due upon the actual sale price?

Two things:

There's also an issue that's been brought up that estate taxes are due 8 months after death which would put that date in November. What I'm not certain on though is would there be any estate taxes due on the team until it's sold. How do you know what's it's true worth is until its sold? Or do they tax the estimated value now and rest is due upon the actual sale price?

I believe the estate tax stays with the family regardless. Unless there is a clause that says the new owner will pay it. I have little knowledge on the matter but others probably do.

One way or the other, they(Wilson's) will have to pay tax on the sale of the team (unless that's part of the NFL's tax exemption status)?

I realize I answered nothing for you.

I had read somewhere that the trust prefers to get the sale done in 2014 because of something to do with the death taxes, which can only mean it's less than it would be next year for some reason.

"What's so bad aboot jbj eh?"

The future of TBD if he wins.

On the plus side there would be a lot less arguing over other teams players vs ours.

kinda poking fun at you but I'm also curious, why is every words first letter capitalized(other than thoughts)?

Emphasis.

its for style points. really.

Still studying the avatar .

i have some concerns about this fellow

I had read somewhere that the trust prefers to get the sale done in 2014 because of something to do with the death taxes, which can only mean it's less than it would be next year for some reason.

I read somewhere ? for some reason. This ! from an argumentative type ? :flirt:

I wish Bills and Bills fans could just cut to the chase and be done with all the speculation.

My company is " re evaluating " and no one know what the hell is going on.

Creates alot o f angst and disrupts the business.

Maybe i am transferring this to the Bills or vice versa.

Just teasing Kelly , but the media clutter and the ups and downs get tiring .

Edited by 3rdand12