New sale of team thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon Bon Jovi's time is better spent being with his friend in Dallas in his time of need rather than wasting any more of his time trying to be a carpetbagger.

He was probably with him and took the pictures. lol

Despite the babble of owners like Jerry Jones and others, I think that putting an NFL team in another country is going to be a lot more complicated than we might think. The two countries most mentioned are Canada and England. Here are just a few issues that will be of intense interest to the team, the players and the agents of the players:

1. The currency exchange rate. I would think that the player agents are going to want their players to be paid in the currency that is currently favored in the exchange rate. With rate fluctuations, this could be an issue in player contracts.

2. Taxes. Will the team and players pay the taxes of the country in which they're located? Canadian taxes are definitely higher than here in the States, and British taxes are even worse. Also, will the team/players have to pay taxes in the country where the team is located, and US taxes as well?

3. Residency. Will the team/players be part-year residents? What about citizenship?

I know these things might seem minor in the light of a 1B+ transaction, but I just don't think that it's going to be as easy as everyone seems to think. There will be a ton of little details like this that will have to be considered.

Despite the babble of owners like Jerry Jones and others, I think that putting an NFL team in another country is going to be a lot more complicated than we might think. The two countries most mentioned are Canada and England. Here are just a few issues that will be of intense interest to the team, the players and the agents of the players:

1. The currency exchange rate. I would think that the player agents are going to want their players to be paid in the currency that is currently favored in the exchange rate. With rate fluctuations, this could be an issue in player contracts.

2. Taxes. Will the team and players pay the taxes of the country in which they're located? Canadian taxes are definitely higher than here in the States, and British taxes are even worse. Also, will the team/players have to pay taxes in the country where the team is located, and US taxes as well?

3. Residency. Will the team/players be part-year residents? What about citizenship?

I know these things might seem minor in the light of a 1B+ transaction, but I just don't think that it's going to be as easy as everyone seems to think. There will be a ton of little details like this that will have to be considered.

Yup. To answer questions 2 and 3, NFL players on the London/Toronto team would owe taxes to BOTH governments, and in England at least it is famously difficult for foreign workers to get work permits.

Also, relocating to another country might cause legal issues with the league's antitrust exemption, aka their Golden Goose. Also players have already publicly said "hell no" to the idea of playing in London for a whole bunch of other reasons. It's just a really dumb idea all around.

Obviously they do it in other sports, so these things can be worked out. But I wonder if it opens up the CBA to give players some leverage over other issues all because one group of current non-owners decided to make this move on their own. Could ruffle some feathers on the relocation issue?

Maybe in 100 years the NFL will be part of a global network of leagues, as seen in today's soccer.

The facts are that football remains very much an American only sport.

Even basketball has expanded beyond American borders.

Can you even name a non-American groomed all-time great player? I know there's a few Canadians, a German Sebastian Vollmer, & a Polish kicker name Sebastian Janikowski, but seriously there are very few, due to the limited number of leagues globally.

If the NFL was serious about growth they'd focus more on exporting their sport on a grassroots level. You cannot simply put a team in London, Tokyo, or Berlin and expect immediate success. Heck even the Bills latest foray into Canada has shown the lack of Canadian interest - Canada is a hockey first country.

That's right! And that country was the U..S..and...A....don't you forget it! :lol:

ALLOWING it to be in his name is different than NAMING the stadium after himself. I apologize if you can't see the distinction, my english is limited to meaningful words and phrases.

He had the rights to sell the name of the stadium. He had done so prior. I can remember being 6 years old and thinking it was Rich Stadium because the owner was rich. :thumbsup:

He didn't do it. I think the county did. He hated it. He would print Buffalo Bills Stadium on the tickets..........Feuded with the Rich Family for years.

Woah, 8??

Yes, it seems the "initial non-binding bid process" was pretty much a sham, and the trust (as many suspected) can really do whatever it wants with respect to soliciting bids.

The good news is that (a) the Toronto group embarrassed themselves in the process and (b) El Pegual "is not going away." As long as that holds true, I still don't see how he doesn't walk away from this the next owner of our Bills.

Three weeks!? Just make it stop.

T Pegs should just walk in the room with a signed check (the reported $1.3B) and dare them to turn it down

We're closer to the finish than the start. Just grit your teeth and bare it. But yea three weeks will be rough.

Edited by The Wiz

Sources: As many as eight Bills suitors scheduled for in-person presentations; Donald Trump went first Wednesday

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/08/07/sources-many-eight-bills-suitors-scheduled-person-presentations-donald-trump-went-first-wednesday/

This has always been more than a 3 horse race. There are other legit contenders (and have always been). Pegula should still be considered the favorite but not a given.

Can you even name a non-American groomed all-time great player? I know there's a few Canadians, a German Sebastian Vollmer, & a Polish kicker name Sebastian Janikowski, but seriously there are very few, due to the limited number of leagues globally.

Ummm, Leif Larsen? That's Viking representation.

This has always been more than a 3 horse race. There are other legit contenders (and have always been). Pegula should still be considered the favorite but not a given.

And I would assume most of the 5 unknown bidders would not be local.... not exactly a warm fuzzy

And I would assume most of the 5 unknown bidders would not be local.... not exactly a warm fuzzy

The team will only be sold to someone that will be keeping them in WNY. I only know of a couple of them and they have no intention of moving the Bills. The trust will not sell to someone that plans on moving the team!!! I feel like I have to put this in every post.

These groups have all been in it from the beginning. These are not a bunch of poachers that are coming in late to try to move the team to Toronto, LA, etc... The group is going to pick the buyer that best meets their objectives. They really have 2 objectives. Get as much money as they can and keep the team in WNY. They will not sacrifice keeping the team here for a little more money as everyone seems to fear. It will not happen.

Edited by Kirby Jackson