I hate Chris Hogan; not really hate, but you know what I mean

This is really hard to believe. By people do u mean your friends? Not trying to sound like a d&%k but i kinda laughed when i read that.

:lol:

Yes, because every other starting QB in the league doesn't suck and isn't flirting with permanent irrelevance in the NFL.

Really? Do you really need to have that explained? Seriously.

Really?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope people don't think that I am claiming Hogan should be ahead of Woods, I'm just saying that it's crazy to think that if Hogan IS ahead of him, I'm sure it's due to the coaching staff seeing that he is NOW ahead of Woods as far as ability... Not looking at their college stats or where they were drafted (or if they were a UDFA)...

A HC would would almost certainly not play someone (ie Hogan over Woods) if they hadn't determined that they weren't the better player, whether it be for a specific situation or throughout the game

After the solid rookie campaign that Woods has, I can't believe Marrone will think Hogan > Woods based on performance in training camp. Woods has repeatedly proven himself in game time situations. If suddenly Hogan is deemed to be better than Woods, I would doubt Marrone more than Woods.

I can't believe everyone's getting upset over this. They played the starters for what, two series? They're just trying Hogan out. They know what Woods can do, he's arguably the best WR on the team right now and is the only one that's taken a significant number of reps from Manuel. Think of it that way.

The issue in my mind is more about how Marrone is handling this situation. If he has a football reason to do what he is doing, he should state that literally or obliquely. I don't buy this 'he is not obligated to tell us anything' for each and every situation. He is fueling an unnecessary fire in the media, among us fans and some players (who have had to verbally state their support for Woods). He needs to diffuse the situation. It comes with the territory. Marrone has not proven much on the field to warrant a pass.

Yes, because every other starting QB in the league doesn't suck and isn't flirting with permanent irrelevance in the NFL.

Really? Do you really need to have that explained? Seriously.

Agreed. Wah Wah the rest of the nfl doesn't do it that way blah blah. Be progressive for once. The kid has to play because quite frankly he is pretty bad right now.

I really think the reason they won't play him any more than other starting qbs is they don't want to answer questions as to why he is playing so much. Because the only real answer is that he isn't any good and they need him to improve. That's not something they want to come out and say

Agreed. Wah Wah the rest of the nfl doesn't do it that way blah blah. Be progressive for once. The kid has to play because quite frankly he is pretty bad right now.

I really think the reason they won't play him any more than other starting qbs is they don't want to answer questions as to why he is playing so much. Because the only real answer is that he isn't any good and they need him to improve. That's not something they want to come out and say

They would need to commit to playing the starting OL (whatever the heck that is at the moment) for as long as he is out there. Otherwise he is at risk of camp fodder 3rd string UDFAs fighting to make their rosters simply trying to lay big hits. I am sure he'll play more this week than last, and the most in the second to last game. With 5 games and missing his LT I don't think it was outlandish to not play him a lot last Sunday. Edited by YoloinOhio

All in all it is TC and we played the first of 5 practice games. It's more about evaluation, n then of course u have Woods still swinging at guys in practice. So I think Marrone is getting a little better look at Hogan because he has potential but lakes experience (mostly game time). Woods will be a starter this year in my opinion. I think he leads the team in receptions this season. We will know more when practice game 4 comes around.

Just my opinion!

What's the problem with Hogan? By all accounts he's one of the first guys onto the practice field and one of the last to leave. The guy is putting in the time and effort to perform at and reach his full potential. Maybe that ceiling isn't as high as Woods or the other WR's but If his attitude and effort pushes the other WR's to do the same that can only be a good thing. It will make everybody better and the team better. I think the message during this camp from Marrone is that nobody is getting handed anything and what you get, like playing time, is earned by effort and performance.

Unsupported theory: Hogan being showcased to set up a trade for another team's marginal player at a position where we lack depth. Think Sheppard for Hughes but more at the margins of the roster.

kj

After the solid rookie campaign that Woods has, I can't believe Marrone will think Hogan > Woods based on performance in training camp. Woods has repeatedly proven himself in game time situations. If suddenly Hogan is deemed to be better than Woods, I would doubt Marrone more than Woods.

The issue in my mind is more about how Marrone is handling this situation. If he has a football reason to do what he is doing, he should state that literally or obliquely. I don't buy this 'he is not obligated to tell us anything' for each and every situation. He is fueling an unnecessary fire in the media, among us fans and some players (who have had to verbally state their support for Woods). He needs to diffuse the situation. It comes with the territory. Marrone has not proven much on the field to warrant a pass.

I disagree with your take bolded above. It is not Marrone's job to calm down the media and the fans. It his job to motivate his players and teach them how to win. Whatever his motivations for playing Hogan ahead of Woods in the slot, and I am sure he has his reasons, he is certainly not obligated to explain them nor make any comment on this outside of internal team discussions. Yes, we are left to speculate, but so what? I applaud him for keeping his player management decisions out of the media frenzy. People should remember that Woods moving to the slot is a new position for him. Perhaps they don't like his approach to it, or don't think he is quite there in technique yet and are trying to enhance his motivation to do so? Who knows. I would be surprised if he is not the starting slot receiver on opening day in any case.

I disagree with your take bolded above. It is not Marrone's job to calm down the media and the fans. It his job to motivate his players and teach them how to win. Whatever his motivations for playing Hogan ahead of Woods in the slot, and I am sure he has his reasons, he is certainly not obligated to explain them nor make any comment on this outside of internal team discussions. Yes, we are left to speculate, but so what? I applaud him for keeping his player management decisions out of the media frenzy. People should remember that Woods moving to the slot is a new position for him. Perhaps they don't like his approach to it, or don't think he is quite there in technique yet and are trying to enhance his motivation to do so? Who knows. I would be surprised if he is not the starting slot receiver on opening day in any case.

Maybe so regarding Woods in the slot, but I am just not sure that he has good reasons. I can hope he does but not sure about it. Consider -

- If he wanted to try woods at slot, why not make it Watkins-Woods-Williams as the 1's ?

- If he wanted to try Woods outside, why not do Watkins-Hogan-Woods on the 1's ?

Putting Woods with the 2s not only for the game but in TC yesterday also does not make sense.If disciplinary, I wonder how many days does Woods have to go stand in the corner to atone for it. Color me skeptical.

David Nelson > TJ Graham > Chris Hogan.

Hogan has not shown us anything to rely upon. In camp, preseason and all but during the regular season the guy shows up. And I want him to succeed. I really do. But at least Graham has stats, gets open and put up numbers playing with Fitz and some lousy QB's at backup.

I'd take Nelson over both of them. A big inside possession guy who has the span to haul it in, has the wheels to move it, and one of the biggest mistakes this team did was not keep him. He would have been the perfect #4 in the team behind MW, Watkins and RW. Goodwin would just be the field stretcher when not being carried off on one.

I neither hate nor love Chris Hogan, but am a bit baffled. They draft Sammy Watkins and I get that they're looking for a true #1 WR. They trade for Mike Williams, and that makes sense to me too with Stevie's departure. What doesn't make sense is Hogan moving up the depth charts ahead of Woods and Goodwin. Didn't this team just spend 2nd AND 3rd round draft picks last year to get additional receiving options for EJ? Playing a workout warrior with the first team in the preseason makes little sense, unless they're trying to send a message or discipline the other players. The fact that Graham is still dropping balls is also bothersome. Should that trend continue, this will be his last year on this team. Is it by chance his size that is making a difference? When all is said and done, it should be the best player on the field on any given Sunday. It would just be nice to know a little of the thought process of the front office.

I am neither for or against Chris Hogan, nor am I for or against Robert Woods, but I would like to make the following assessment - Hogan played all of 1 season of college football at a D-I AA school after playing D-I lacrosse (so I presume he did not get a ton of playing time). He is a specimen of an athlete. In practice and pre-season games, he has been very consistent against 2nd teamers. Could it be the case that he is actually good and has just not been given the proper chance? We all know what Robert Woods is capable of - he started last season and has been well groomed his entire career. Is it implausible to consider that Hogan is a better athlete and over the past 2 years he "learned to play the game" and may better in the future. Think about the following (I am not making comparisons on ability, just the situation):

Fred Jackson - had to go through hell just to get a try-out for the NFL and only got to play after a series of injuries. Is he a lot more talented then people with pedigree and grooming - you tell me.

Antonio Gates - the guy played basketball in college and had little football skills - all pro?

Again, I am not saying that Hogan is either Jackson or Gates, but maybe, just maybe he is better than Woods? But, you would never know unless you give him a shot.

Edited by Coach55

All indications from camp are hogan gets open and catches the ball, constantly... What the hell else matters?

I personally see woods as more of an outside guy than inside and Watkins as more of a slot... But honestly what do I know?

Hogan might actually turn out to be a decent player... It's not bad to have several of those.

Again, I am not saying that Hogan is either Jackson or Gates, but maybe, just maybe he is better than Woods? But, you would never know unless you give him a shot.

Honestly...No offense because I think you make some valid points...But I think the chances that Hogan is better than Woods are very, very low...Lower than low.actually...But one thing seems certain...Marrone and Hackett are determined to find out... B-)

Maybe so regarding Woods in the slot, but I am just not sure that he has good reasons. I can hope he does but not sure about it. Consider -

- If he wanted to try woods at slot, why not make it Watkins-Woods-Williams as the 1's ?

- If he wanted to try Woods outside, why not do Watkins-Hogan-Woods on the 1's ?

Putting Woods with the 2s not only for the game but in TC yesterday also does not make sense.If disciplinary, I wonder how many days does Woods have to go stand in the corner to atone for it. Color me skeptical.

He is learning the slot, maybe they just knew he would see more time with the 2s and think he needs more reps. He already has chemistry with EJ...yada yada....

It might also be he doesn't have a great attitude this year, maybe didn't want to go in the slot and was disappointed with the Sammy pick (and the MW trade that went with it). He won't say that stuff or shouldn't anyways...So far as EJ's support of Woods and surprise at Hogan being out there, well, maybe they didn't want to tell him, they may think he relies on Woods too much for the best interests of the team and scheme or another way of saying that, that he always get EJ's eyes instead of going through his designed progressions. I am not worried about this "issue" yet. Coaching is up to the coach, they don't or shouldn't worry about butt hurt fans and press and just do what they think they should do. At this point I am fine with that and honestly I kind dislike (hate is too strong of a word) Hogan (Mr. NotYAC just like Nelson was), they should try Rosie in the slot with the ones IMO :). Now there is a natural slot guy.

Edited by bowery4