I hate Chris Hogan; not really hate, but you know what I mean

Great post Yolo... :D

It's preseason, so they're giving everyone an opportunity to take the next step...maybe they're thinking that Hogan is more

of a traditional slot guy than Woods, so he's going to get the chance to take that job. And if he ends up beating out Woods

at the slot, doesn't that just mean he is better at that position...which is a good thing.

Also, who knows how they are really planning on using Sammy. He's not just going to run fly patterns. There will be screens

and plays over the middle, etc. Which could mean that at times Sammy would play slot and you could sit Hogan and play Woods

outside. Plus, there will be plenty of times when they put 4 receivers out there and there are also injuries. So, you want to have multiple

options for any formation. Which all means that there will still be plenty of balls for Robert (provided EJ and the O-line play well) whether

he is first man in the slot or not. And he's too good not to have on the field, so he'll get his playing time wherever it is.

If Hogan can capably handle the slot, that's good because then the offense has so many options with different personnel groupings. So,

I wouldn't read too much into it yet. They know what Robert can do and he already has good chemistry with EJ. The other three need more

time, experience, reps with EJ.

thank you for manning the suicide hotline. I needed it!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Precisely. I know our standards have been lowered but what you do with the ball AFTER the catch is important. He supposedly has sub 4.5 speed but he hasn't shown an ability to do anything after the catch. Robert Woods might not be durable enough for the slot, but he can take a short pass and do some damage with it. IMO they started Mike Williams opposite Watkins because they want the largest catching radius possible to hopefully bring down EJ's wing-and-prayer passes and build up his confidence..... so maybe Hogan is getting play because he is a bigger target as well. EJ did nearly get Woods killed a few times last year as well, maybe they just figure EJ will finish Woods off if they put him in the slot.

I get that the YAC is important but if it's 3rd and 5 and we need that first down I'm throwing it to someone who is going to hang on to the ball. How many times have we seen Stevie or Graham drop the ball because they are trying to run with it before they bring it in? I don't think Hogan is in the same league as Woods but as a situational player and a special teamer I think he deserves to be on the team

Edited by kdiggz

I get that the YAC is important but if it's 3rd and 5 and we need that first down I'm throwing it to someone who is going to hang on to the ball. How many times have we seen Stevie or Graham drop the ball because they are trying to run with it before they bring it in? I don't think Hogan is in the same league as Woods but as a situational player and a special teamer I think he deserves to be on the team

Hogan has like 4 catches of more than 5 yards, including YAC. He also had drops.

If you like him as a feel good - good. But he's not proven that he can convert 3rd downs consistently.

Like I was saying in the TC thread, Woods might be getting some discipline from Marrone. Tis my new theory.

This. It was my first thought in the post-game presser. But then the pressers are so perfunctory nowadays I'm not sure one should read anything into that.

Onwards - in the dark.

Like I was saying in the TC thread, Woods might be getting some discipline from Marrone. Tis my new theory.

As another poster mentioned in the HOF 2nd half thread: (paraphrasing):

-probably the team gave TJ Graham the start for 2 reasons. To give him one last chance to show something, or else to show-case him for a trade. They already know what they have in Woods.

Hogan has like 4 catches of more than 5 yards, including YAC. He also had drops.

If you like him as a feel good - good. But he's not proven that he can convert 3rd downs consistently.

He hasn't proven that he can do anything.

He played one season for Monmouth College, some weak I-AA team and he had 12 catches for 147 yards and 3 TDs. We're what, his 4th NFL team? I think it's amazing that he's even on an NFL team.

He'll be a 5th tops, what's all this talk about him taking time from Woods? What's next, Dixon replacing Jackson. Or how about Dennis Dixon starting for us at QB.

Perhaps Woods is having the WR sophomore slump. If you look at a WR production chart most WRs don't match their rookie production until year three.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/chartbuilder/Age-vs-Production-Running-Backs-Receivers1396880190285.png

but that's the thing- every report out of camp is he looks fantastic. And he was the best offensive player in Sundays game. I would expect his numbers to only go up with Sammy on the field!

Let the better man play. Plain and simple. It doesn`t matter where you are drafted. On another note EJ struggled again in practice. This time against some of the 2nd D. Here we go again. 5-11 or 6-10. They need to blow a horn or whistle in set time to get EJ to let the ball loose.Sacked 4 times in 9 plays.

I'm still of the belief that Woods will be our most productive receiver this year. He'll benefit from the extra attention Sammy gets. If this trend continues though, well....I might have to join Kirby's crusade.

I have to believe Wood will see a ton of minutes and looks this year. There will be plenty of 3 and 4 wide receiver sets.

This thread looks familiar.

I hate this thread. Ok Not really hate, but you know what I mean.

As far as wr goes. It is Sammy, Woods, MW, Hogan, Easley, Tijuana Graham. I rarely see Hogan drop passes. As a wr, I'm pretty sure that's a good thing.

Did I miss something? Goodwin isn't out for the season or anything is he?

Let the better man play. Plain and simple. It doesn`t matter where you are drafted. On another note EJ struggled again in practice. This time against some of the 2nd D. Here we go again. 5-11 or 6-10. They need to blow a horn or whistle in set time to get EJ to let the ball loose.Sacked 4 times in 9 plays.

woods is better and he makes EJ better, IMO. What has Hogan shown that woods has not? I mean you have to be kidding. Let the better man play? Obviously ... But let's be realistic on who the better player really is here.

Did I miss something? Goodwin isn't out for the season or anything is he?

no Edited by YoloinOhio

What does Hogan do to be hated so much on this board? All he does is catch passes. Mr Reliable. He isn't flashy but he gets the job done. He shouldn't be taking any snaps away from Woods but as a utility player he is just fine

7 career receptions and he's got this kind of rep with some fans...

I'm telling y'all...This guy is legendary... :thumbsup:

Why would you put woods in the slot if hogan was the better slot player? Not saying he definitely is, but it's a different skill set than outside receiver.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that on Sundays Woods is a better everything than Hogan...

In practice though...Hogan is legend... :D

If Hogan can capably handle the slot, that's good because then the offense has so many options with different personnel groupings. So,

I wouldn't read too much into it yet. They know what Robert can do and he already has good chemistry with EJ. The other three need more

time, experience, reps with EJ.

I think this is a viable strategy when you have an established QB...

When you don't...And you have a guy like say...EJ Manual for example...I'm going to lean on getting him as much time as I can with the WR's he's most comfortable with in order to boost his confidence...

But obviously that's not the way Marrone and the boy wonder look at it... ;)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Woods has an attitude, and while I like a player that has that nasty streak in them- he let's his get out of control at times.... Maybe this was disciplinary, maybe it was to evaluate Hogan bc they know what they have in Woods, maybe they like Hogan more....

If they like Hogan more, that speaks volumes of where he is!

The entire practice seemed sluggish. No standouts IMO last night. A few good plays here and there but boy, they looked like they didn't want to be out there. There are some exceptions to this. A couple players, Hogan, included were leading the charge drill to drill. They really need a kick in the a$$. Lets go, Marrone!