SI interviews Jim Schwartz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If memory serves, Jimbo punched Harbaugh in the face at Rich Stadium. Don't rember if it was before or after a game though.

Looking at web articles on the subject it was the other way around; Harbaugh punched Kelly and broke his hand doing so. Kelly has since denied even being punched but Harbaugh admitted it and lost a game check from the non-football injury.

Looking at web articles on the subject it was the other way around; Harbaugh punched Kelly and broke his hand doing so. Kelly has since denied even being punched but Harbaugh admitted it and lost a game check from the non-football injury.

That's what I recalled: Harbaugh punched Kelly so ineffectively that he broke his hand and Kelly didn't notice.

Schwartz's record was horrible in Detroit. He went 4-12 in 2012 and 7-9 last year despite starting 6-3 and having consistently one of the best passing games and a solid Defensive roster. He is a terrible in game manager and there were reports that he did not have control of the locker room.

He will never be a HC again.

Schwartz's record was horrible in Detroit. He went 4-12 in 2012 and 7-9 last year despite starting 6-3 and having consistently one of the best passing games and a solid Defensive roster. He is a terrible in game manager and there were reports that he did not have control of the locker room.

Detroits D roster is terrible outside 3-4 players. The DBs have always been terrible.

im not sure he has the temperament to be a HC. It is perfect for a DC though!

I agree. Someday when another team is desperate if he produces as I mentioned above will give him a try. He'll probably produce the same as he did in Detroit. It's not that I don't like him, and believe he will produce as a DC, he's just not a HC.

Kind of like Greg Williams.

agreed. But if he does get HC looks, this time they have a succession plan in place with pepper Johnson. I believe Marrone or Whaley indicated this and that the scheme would not change. Also, if that happened, it would mean our D was very very good.

Also, somehow the Ravens manage constant plunder. I'm willing to deal with it if our D excels.

Some will say he did the impossible and took a perpetual loser to the playoffs. Not suggesting he is in fact hc material, but I think he'll get looks if he's successful here.

Don't know about this, but JH definitely punched Kelly in the face during an interview after JK retired and was working for one of the TV networks.

I think this is the correct scenario. I thought it took place in a conference room. no cameras running

What a scene it could have been with Jim Rome there.

Great point! I would add that we haven't had a DC this smart in a long while.

Wade Phillips, 1995–97* (under Levy)

Ted Cottrell, 1998–2000 (under Phillips)

Jerry Gray, 2001–2005 (under Williams)

Perry Fewell, 2006–2009** (under Jauron)

George Edwards, 2010–11 (under Gailey)

Dave Wannstedt, 2012 (under Gailey)

Mike Pettine, 2013 (under Marrone)

Jim Schwartz, 2014- (under Marrone)

Other than Edwards and Wanny. That is not a a bad list.

Honestly, with results yet to be determined, I don't know *HOW* someone who reads this article does not like Schwartz as the Defensive Coordinator!! That was great to read and the best answer was his last one, honest but without too much "me" in the middle of his statements. I'm sure if / when he gets another viable HC opportunity to a situation he likes, he'll take it...but to answer it the way he did was well done, IMHO....

Also, somehow the Ravens manage constant plunder. I'm willing to deal with it if our D excels.

Some will say he did the impossible and took a perpetual loser to the playoffs. Not suggesting he is in fact hc material, but I think he'll get looks if he's successful here.

And he made them losers again his last 2 seasons. Their 2013 collapse was epic. He was awful. Unless the Browns fire Pettine and Schwartz is their 5th choice as HC, I don't see any team going for this guy.

And he made them losers again his last 2 seasons. Their 2013 collapse was epic. He was awful. Unless the Browns fire Pettine and Schwartz is their 5th choice as HC, I don't see any team going for this guy.

Again, I don't disagree, but the Lions just hired Jim Caldwell as his replacement, based on very sketchy past success. Teams are always looking for a reason to hire a retread who has a successful season or two in his back pocket. They can explain away the things that went wrong or chalk them up as things that the guy learned from. See also: Jauron, Dick.

Again, I don't disagree, but the Lions just hired Jim Caldwell as his replacement, based on very sketchy past success. Teams are always looking for a reason to hire a retread who has a successful season or two in his back pocket. They can explain away the things that went wrong or chalk them up as things that the guy learned from. See also: Jauron, Dick.

The Lions are a poorly owned team, no question.