LaCanfora: bills may be willing to deal Spiller before season

LaCanfora -- the king of innuendo and unfounded speculation. How many times must one fall for this nonsense? It's a purely speculative comment without one shred of inside information.

Now, if someone comes a' callin' with a ridiculous offer, Whaley should listen -- but otherwise this is nonsense. CJ is a proven "home run hitter" and you don't trade those away.

i have no real feelings on lacanfora one way or the other, seems like it's quite normal for these guys to stir the pot as much as possible.

as for spiller, i think you are dead on there. the man has ability, a body of work, a great work ethic, a humble attitude, and the respect of his teammates. he has also said that he would like to be a buffalo bill for his entire career. if i am doug whaley, my massage to the rest of the nfl is "you better blow me away".

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't see any logic for trading Spiller. He's been a consummate pro and good team ambassador since the day he arrived. He possesses elite talent. He hasn't complained like most star backs would about sharing time.

He was hurt last year don't forget!

People rooting for this trade are probably the same people who wanted Lynch trading out of town because he is a goofball, so we got a 4th rounder and a pack of bubble gum for him.

I know the Bills aren't big on overpaying for "non premium" positions (S, G, FB, RB) but this strikes me as flat out dumb.

ezcept he's not a star RB and he's been given the opportunity to start on his own from the day he got here and can't distance himself from an often injured old man

i have no real feelings on lacanfora one way or the other, seems like it's quite normal for these guys to stir the pot as much as possible.

as for spiller, i think you are dead on there. the man has ability, a body of work, a great work ethic, a humble attitude, and the respect of his teammates. he has also said that he would like to be a buffalo bill for his entire career. if i am doug whaley, my massage to the rest of the nfl is "you better blow me away".

i have seriously NEVER heard anywhere that CJ has said he want to be a "Buffalo Bill for his entire career" a link would be appreciated.

"can't distance himself from an often injured old man", thats CRAZY talk.

really? Because in 2012 Freddy was the starter until he got injured. And then again when he came back. CJ was the change of pace guy getting 12 carries a game.

He had similar yards to Fred last season.

And he's constantly injured or banged up in some way and when he's not he's either "winded" or "it's Fred turn".

Keep putting him on a pedestal. He'll only rip your heart out when you realize he's not good.

If they truly are thinking they are all in and jobs are on the line, the front office won't get rid of him

funny. I guess it depends on who you talk to but I was thinking the exact opposite. Yiu went out and picked up 2 RBs that are good enough to at least be rotational starters in Dixon and Brown and yiu still have Freddy who is the class of the franchise. You have an underachieving 1st round pick on the final year of his contract and a need for draft picks next year. Seems like a no brainer to me.

funny. I guess it depends on who you talk to but I was thinking the exact opposite. Yiu went out and picked up 2 RBs that are good enough to at least be rotational starters in Dixon and Brown and yiu still have Freddy who is the class of the franchise. You have an underachieving 1st round pick on the final year of his contract and a need for draft picks next year. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Draft picks don't help Whaley this season. I'm saying if it's true that he has to win now in order for the new owner to keep him on, he's less likely to deal spiller

Draft picks don't help Whaley this season. I'm saying if it's true that he has to win now in order for the new owner to keep him on, he's less likely to deal spiller

however, if he loses with Spiller (which is just as likely considering they've never won with him) and a new owner comes in and looks at the fact that he blew his load and still lost vs showing good football smarts and getting rid of a bust when he has a chance for what he can get, especially during a time when he still needs draft picks going forward.

Just different opinions. I agree that we need to win now, but I really don't think Spiller really helps you with that. With a career average of 755 yards and 3 TDs a season in the ground, you can pick up an Undrafted FA that can produce that.

ezcept he's not a star RB and he's been given the opportunity to start on his own from the day he got here and can't distance himself from an often injured old man

I don't think that's quite true. CJ has started about 30 games the last 3 years. When healthy 2 years ago he started many games and ripped off a huge season. Taking FJax's job is easier said than done. Freddy is perhaps the most popular Bill, works hard, plays hard and can do it all. He's a team captain, and that's not because Spiller can't play. I am sure no one wants to compete for work time with the hardest working stud in the office, even he is "over the hill"

What's a RB worth?? Maybe a second rounder? At best? A trade like this can't make the Bills better.

With all due respect to CJ, I don't think he fits the mold of a Marrone RB - I think he wants a bruiser for a RB with some speed but able to run north south. If the offer comes in, I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up another TE.

Like, Jimmy Graham?

Since you've realized Spiller "isn't good", surely every team in the NFL has realized the same thing, so why would any team be willing to give up a draft pick, let alone a high one?

Like it or not, Spiller pressures a defense in ways no other RB we have can do. He's also been part of a platoon system since entering the league and Marrone incorporates it even more. So I don't understand the constant harping on Spiller's inability to "win" the job when the "job" is shared by design.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think that's quite true. CJ has started about 30 games the last 3 years. When healthy 2 years ago he started many games and ripped off a huge season. Taking FJax's job is easier said than done. Freddy is perhaps the most popular Bill, works hard, plays hard and can do it all. He's a team captain, and that's not because Spiller can't play. I am sure no one wants to compete for work time with the hardest working stud in the office, even he is "over the hill"

What's a RB worth?? Maybe a second rounder? At best? A trade like this can't make the Bills better.

"ripped off a huge season" is comical. 1,200 yards is far from huge. He's not putting up 1,400+ here or anything. And honestly, of give you HUGE if he just had 10+TDs but he didn't. His season was far from "huge". It was ok. Better than average. Enough to be top 10 in the league but not crack the top 5 and had less TDs than some QBs. Not good at all.

About taking Fred's job, you make my point even more. CJ is not only a first rounder, he's a top 10 draft pick. Regardless of how good Freddy is and how hard it is to dethrone him, a top 10 draft pick is supposed to win the job outright. A top 10 pick is supposed to be "THE MAN" for his team. CJ has never been more than a platoon guy at the position.

I'm not the one that's looking down on him so much that's the problem here. It's everyone else putting him on a pedestal, acting like he's something special. 755 yards and 3TDs a year is nothing special. I promise you that.

Since you've realized Spiller "isn't good", surely every team in the NFL has realized the same thing, so why would any team be willing to give up a draft pick, let alone a high one?

Like it or not, Spiller pressures a defense in ways no other RB we have can do. He's also been part of a platoon system since entering the league and Marrone incorporates it even more. So I don't understand the constant harping on Spiller's inability to "win" the job when the "job" is shared by design.

GO BILLS!!!

yet Marrone limited his carries last year as the year went on and he realized how fragile he is. The bad decisions he makes.

Just because other teams or other people are blinded by his "ability" just because he's fast, doesn't tell me anything other than there are idiots all around us. Marrone knows what he has with Spiller and he picked up 2 RBs this offseason and tried to trade up in the draft for Hyde for a reason. He doesn't want Spiller here anymore.

Unless it's for a first like Richardson (which were not getting) no I wouldn't trade CJ he means to much to this team this year.

what exactly does he mean to this team? I'd honestly like to know what you see out of his 755 yard average and 3TDs a season that makes him special.

maybe Doug Whaley is using LaCanfora to drum up interest ?

either way, Spiller is gone. he will not be on this team next year.

by his own words, spiller is seeking/getting advice from Jairus Byrd. spiller wants way more money than the bills are willing to pay. he will become a free agent after this season. the bills realize this and will trade him first.

spiller is a STUD, but he gets winded easily.