Hammersticks Truck Stop

Sooooo, this winter my across the street neighbors sold their house to a younger man who happens to be a professional snowboarder and is rarely around. In his absence, I have observed several different young (early 20's) men and women coming and going...many staying for days at a time. Recently, I saw a guy out front mowing the lawn and I went over to introduce myself. He was out there with 3 or 4 other guys, and they were grilling. They actually were quite nice, and even offered me a beer and a burger. I hung out for a bit, thanked the guys for the hospitality, and went on about my business. Since then I have learned that the man who purchased the house (the snowboarder) doesn't actually live there, but rents it out to 3 guys and "flops" there when he is in town.

Fast forward to just a few days ago...

I'm sitting on my front porch with the wife, the boy, and my infant daughter, and one of the guys who lives there comes stumbling across the street with his backpack. He smells like he hasn't showered in days, is sweating bullets, and is pale as hell. He awkwardly explains that his shower is broken, and that he would like to use our shower. He explained that his would be fixed the following day. Reluctantly, but feeling empathetic and neighborly, I agree to let him use our shower. He is in there for about 20 minutes, thanks us, and leaves.

Approximately 20 minutes later, he again stumbles across the street to our house. This time, I am inside with the family, and my daughter is taking a nap. When I answered the knock at the door, there is standing the same guy looking like he should be lying in a hospital bed. Again sweating profusely, pale as a corpse, and this time smelling of vomit. He again asks to use my shower, but this time explains that he has severe migraines, and that taking a hot shower helps his medication to "settle in." I explained that it was not a good time because my daughter was sleeping, and he literally begged me to use the shower. Again, I relented and allowed him to use the shower, but explained to him (firmly but politely) that this would be the last time. This time he stayed in the shower for about 30 minutes, thanked me, and went back to his house.

So last night they had a party across the street. My wife and I don't mind unless the noise is loud enough to wake the kids, and even then, I would go over and ask them to keep it down rather than call the police. It was around 11:00 and they were reasonably well-behaved over there, so I decided to go to sleep. Mrs. Hammersticks decided to stay up and watch TV (Real Housewifes or some other garbage). Well, at around 12:30 my wife wakes me up to tell me that a big fight had erupted across the street, and that there were a lot of people yelling about heroin. I watched out the window as the police arrived and the "disturbance" was stopped, and a few of the individuals were taken into police custody.

Flashing forward in this epic saga to this morning. My daughter wakes up at around 7:00, I put her in her high chair with some breakfast snacks, and then take the dog out for a pee/poop. Who, through my bleary eyed sleepy gaze, do I see standing in the corner of my lawn?! The freaking shower creep again!! He stumbles over, towel in hand, and begs me to use the shower. I of course told him to get lost (was a little harsher this time), and he called me a jerk and left.

I don't really know much about heroin addiction, but I think he is an addict who is going through withdrawal. At first, I bought his migraine story, but now I am pretty confident that he is just a degenerate addict. Worst thing is, now he is pissed at me for denying him my shower. I am concerned.

Thoughts? Does this not sound like "druggish" type behavior to others? Would you be concerned? What would you do?

Freakin weird, wild stuff. BTW...I actually live in a very nice neighborhood, so this is very unusual.

Definitely sounds look a drug addict. Alert the rest of your neighbors, if they don't already know. You also might want to file a report if he comes back, or even before then. You wouldn't want him coming back if it was just your wife and kids at home. You never know what a pissed off crackhead might do, and it is not worth it to find out.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

Keep those thoughts to yourself... I wouldn't share them with your neighbors just yet... Sounds like you could be right though. I would keep the palace locked even while you are there, because if you are correct, most users, especially those going through withdrawal can make some extremely rash decisions... Buy a ball bat if you don't have a firearm, lol

I also prefer a steel shafted pitching wedge... The angle is perfect

Yeah, I'm not ready to rile up the neighborhood watch association, but I definitely have my guard up. I made it pretty clear this morning that his behavior was inappropriate. I don't think he will come over again, but if he does I may have to "deal with him."

Edit: and by deal with him I mean contact the police...haha.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

As a rule of thumb I just hate neighbors. Over the years I have come to learn to be polite, friendly and respectful with them but not to try to be friends, hang out or get too close. If you are in deep with anyone it can be hell to pay when the inevitable neighborhood disagreement breaks out. Everyone always chooses up sides and there are those who just love to meddle and make the situation worse. I just elect to stay out of it and if people ask I claim ignorance and change the subject.

I'm happy to loan out tools, buy gs cookies or whatever I just do not get chummy with any of them.

As for your shower dude... Yep he sounds weird and could very well be coming off something. It would also concern me that the owner across the street is an absentee landlord of sorts. He could let the place go to hell. Hopefully your homeowners association can be and will be pricks about it because one sh...hole on the street can bring home values down.

No homeowner's association. Just a really nice middle class neighborhood. Lots of families and elderly people. The problem is a lot of these elderly people are dying off, and their giant houses are being turned into rental properties. This has me worried. The wife and I are on sort of a 5 year plan with his house anyway. We have a ton of equity, as we came into some money and were able to put more than half of the purchase price down on the house.

Hopefully the bottom doesn't fall out of the market before then...

Update: It's almost 2:00 in the afternoon and I haven't seen shower boy. I think he got the message.

Update: It's almost 2:00 in the afternoon and I haven't seen shower boy. I think he got the message.

Or he's either dead or hanging in by a thread with a needle dangling from his arm...

Either way it could be considered a win for you... He isn't scaring you or your family... Remember... Pitching wedge.... You will thank me one day!

I'd still talk to the neighbors, maybe they have some stories of their own to share.

True... But I wouldn't run over and directly ask if they think the kids are into heroin... I would ask if they have noticed anything odd, or have seen strange behavior...

BuffaloBill would probably just give you a hammer and say "piss off"

Or he's either dead or hanging in by a thread with a needle dangling from his arm...

I'm a strong believer in personal choice, but also a firm proponent of natural consequences. Charlie Darwin wrote some on the topic. Seriously though, I hope the kid isn't dead...lol.

I'd still talk to the neighbors, maybe they have some stories of their own to share.

I see him hanging with a young lady down the street who is either in high school or early college. She lives with her parents. Wonder if her Father would be interested to learn about shower boy?

Talk to the neighbors. Ask them if they have any issues or ask if they know how to get ahold of the owner because of the parties. Just say you're concerned and do not want to contact the police without contacting him. Say they ask why and you can tell'm some stories.

Yeah, I'm not ready to rile up the neighborhood watch association, but I definitely have my guard up. I made it pretty clear this morning that his behavior was inappropriate. I don't think he will come over again, but if he does I may have to "deal with him."

Edit: and by deal with him I mean contact the police...haha.

next time you do talk to him, just say something about you went hunting over the weekend. You got your whatever badass gun out and really got good at shooting whatever. Or just tell'm you were out shooting pigeon or target practicing, that you enjoy the shooting sports.

Of course, he could think he could break in and steal yours gun for money...

Wow... What part of rural VT (is anyplace in VT NOT rural? LoL) are you in?

We have been blessed... Live in a neighborhood with all different ages of neighbors, mostly older... All different incomes and work schedules/retirees... I have both my neighbor's keys for years and they have ours... I just watched ones's dog for a week. If we ever leave on a moment notice, I just call them to check in on the cats and the place...

Heck, I am going tomorrow to install the other neighbor's new sump pump and back-up system.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Wow... What part of rural VT (is anyplace in VT NOT rural? LoL) are you in?

We have been blessed... Live in a neighborhood with all different ages of neighbors, mostly older... All different incomes and work schedules/retirees... I have both my neighbor's keys for years and they have ours... I just watched ones's dog for a week. If we ever leave on a moment notice, I just call them to check in on the cats and the place...

Heck, I am going tomorrow to install the other neighbor's new sump pump and back-up system.

I live in central vermont in a small city (20-25K people). Actually, it is a pretty tight-knit neighborhood with the exception of the house across the street. Everyone watches out for eachother's houses, and folks are generally very friendly. Hell, when we moved in last August we had 4 or 5 close neighbors stop by with baked goods and welcomes.

The dark side of this city is the Amtrak station which does daily services to NYC and Boston. The drug dealers come up here on the train, post up in a cheap hotel, and pedal their wares. My town has become a hub of sorts for drug distribution throughout Vermont and New Hampshire. Sad really. I have heard that they have big problems with heroin addiction at the high school. Other than the drug element (which you only really see if you are looking for it, or if your neighbor happens to be a smack head) it is really a beautiful little city.

**Update: Shower boy came over this morning at around 7:30. My wife was awake, and fortunately my cousin (who happens to be a 6'4" 230# Marine) was also here. My cousin went to the door, and told him to get lost. He said shower boy didn't say a word, and just walked back across the street. I just noticed that the "absent landlord" pulled up in front of the house. I am waiting to see him poke his head out, and I am going to go over there and have a talk with him about Cracky Crack-Head Boo Boo.

I will keep you all updated!!

I'm on the edge of my seat to hear how this "landlord" handles the situation...

I am under the impression that the tenants are his friends???

If that's the case, I assume he will just tell his buddies to not make such a scene... Which if course, they won't obey...

next time you do talk to him, just say something about you went hunting over the weekend. You got your whatever badass gun out and really got good at shooting whatever. Or just tell'm you were out shooting pigeon or target practicing, that you enjoy the shooting sports.

Of course, he could think he could break in and steal yours gun for money...

Haha...I actually have a few guns in the house. I have a Henry .30/30, and a Mossberg Pump-Action 12 Guage. I have thought about answering the door while polishing up one of my guns. Haha

I'm on the edge of my seat to hear how this "landlord" handles the situation...

I am under the impression that the tenants are his friends???

If that's the case, I assume he will just tell his buddies to not make such a scene... Which if course, they won't obey...

Still waiting for him to come outside...

Yes, it seems that the residents of the property are his pals. The problem with addressing the issue with the landlord is that he seems like just as big of a druggy as the rest of them. He has money due to his snowboarding "career," so he has a nice car and dresses nicer than the others. Talking to him, however, it is very apparent that he is just fried. Total mush brain. Hopefully, after I tell him about some of the things I have been observing, he will be afraid of me calling the cops, and will tell the kids to chill out. We'll see...

My sister lives up north by the QUE border... Married a fella born in the Northeast Kingdom. Funny to hear his parents speak how the hippies moved in during the 1970's, had a family and never left... I guess their children are having children now. LoL... Then you cross the Connecticut River into NH and its Walmart's all in the open and not hidden under the cover of a mountain. Quite a pair you have up there. Just be happy you are on the VT side... ;-) LoL

Good luck!

My sister lives up north by the QUE border... Married a fella born in the Northeast Kingdom. Funny to hear his parents speak how the hippies moved in during the 1970's, had a family and never left... I guess their children are having children now. LoL... Then you cross the Connecticut River into NH and its Walmart's all in the open and not hidden under the cover of a mountain. Quite a pair you have up there. Just be happy you are on the VT side... ;-) LoL

Good luck!

Lots of hippies, and TONS and TONS of white trash. The former, while sometimes stinky, tend to be very friendly and productive members of the community. The latter....well....you know.

Haha...I actually have a few guns in the house. I have a Henry .30/30, and a Mossberg Pump-Action 12 Guage. I have thought about answering the door while polishing up one of my guns. Haha

In all honesty... Why make your place a bigger target to rob? They will just wait for you to leave. That's what is scary about the shower dude... He knows the "lay of land" of your place. Be careful. Drugs (and the need for them) will make people do desprite things. Not to get you all worried, stay vigilant. Broadcasting that you have weapons might actually not be a threatening thing! Might actually work the opposite. The threat of the unknown, IMO, is always a better deterent.

Stay safe... AND vigilant!

Lots of hippies, and TONS and TONS of white trash. The former, while sometimes stinky, tend to be very friendly and productive members of the community. The latter....well....you know.

As you can see in the Stadium Concert Thread! American business is alive and well @ Dead Concerts... A bit eclectic and smelly... But alive an well! ;-)

We had neighbors in the 1960's and 1970's that were hippies... Sold roses on the corner of the street... They eventually hit the 1980's and their 30's... Had children and took their business into a distributorship. You would have thought they were the reincarnation of Ronald Reagan. One time my mother ran into one of them... They were teens and 20's when my siblings and I were young. He was was asking her for advice on how to handle his child that was giving him fits! My how the worm has turned... Things come full cirlce.

Affluent snowboarders waste their lives away with heroin.

Schmucks. One shower maximum. Did you let him use your Bills loofah ?

Haha...let's just say at least he came with his own towel/washcloth/soaps. If not, I probably would have burnt all of the linens in the bathroom.

Oh yeah, and he's a Patriots fan.

Update: Monday 6:45am and I hear a knocking at the door. Daughter wakes up and wife (super pissed off) goes to tend to her. I peek out the window, and sure enough, it's shower boy. After getting the baby back to sleep, we lay down and try to squeeze in another hour or so worth of sleep. At around 8:00 my son wakes up and wants breakfast. I walk down the stairs, and who is sitting on my front porch steps? Shower boy....sweating, shaking, and looking "crackish."

I opened the front door, and as he began to beg to use the shower I said "No more showers. If you set foot on my property ever again I am going to call the police. Now get the fugg out of here before I really lose my temper." He left without a word.

Update: Monday 6:45am and I hear a knocking at the door. Daughter wakes up and wife (super pissed off) goes to tend to her. I peek out the window, and sure enough, it's shower boy. After getting the baby back to sleep, we lay down and try to squeeze in another hour or so worth of sleep. At around 8:00 my son wakes up and wants breakfast. I walk down the stairs, and who is sitting on my front porch steps? Shower boy....sweating, shaking, and looking "crackish."

I opened the front door, and as he began to beg to use the shower I said "No more showers. If you set foot on my property ever again I am going to call the police. Now get the fugg out of here before I really lose my temper." He left without a word.

You might want to call the police - and an ambulance - regardless. This guy seems to have a serious medical issue that needs addressing.

Beerball PM'd me and said your bathtub is too slippery.

Did you respond with concern for his sweatiness and his apparent signs of withdrawl? Betty Ford is on hold...

!@#$ all of you, I just wanted a !@#$ing shower. pissants.