WGR Talking Hockey in Mid-July

ET1062

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin Sylvester and Andrew Peters are still unlistenable and Jeremy White will bring up hockey every time he has a chance. By programming hours alone based on my previous posts, they do spend more time on hockey (minor league sport) vs. NFL/Bills, the hours don't lie. Their program director is Canadian!!!! I stand by my posts in this thread, way too much time on hockey vs. NFL/Bills.

Why are you hating on the Sabres when you literally have their logo in your profile picture?

I found it hilarious while driving to work this morning, that Howard was like "oh when we get back I'd like to discuss a hockey related piece, and one of the others was like " wait, there's Bills training camp and you want to discuss HOCKEY? come on.... nice little jab at Two Bills Drive and the complaints we see. :nana:

• 2 weeks later...

It's August, the day after the first BIlls preseason game and after Andre Reed's induction into the Hall of Fame. Oh, and the BIlls are for sale and Bon Jovi wants to buy them and move them to Toronto.

TIME TO TALK HOCKEY FOR TWO HOURS!

Why are you hating on the Sabres when you literally have their logo in your profile picture?

I am not hating on the Sabres, just don't think WGR needs to talk hockey in July and August and needs to put the NHL in perspective to the NFL, The NHL is barely a major league sport.

Edited by ET1062

There is no reason to be rude mrags, I agree. I'm assessing the situation as I see it unfolding not only in recent years, but across many decades. I do have a love for the Bills to be sure, but I cannot sugar coat what has gone on in WNY, and the Bills in general.

I realize you believe what you believe, but I work in the industry, and I can tell you directly, whether you realize it or not, Buffalo is more of a hockey town as opposed to a football town. Not by a large margin, but it is none the less.

I do hope all that respond to this post understand it is beyond opinion. You can put up all of the stats and articles you like, but I run numbers on the E industry here in WNY currently, and the Bills are not high on the list as of late. Sorry to burst your bubbles, but it is what it is.

Has any Sabres game ever got what the Bills got for a preseason game last night?

The game had a 26.5 rating on Channel 2

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/talkintv/2014/08/bills-preseason-opener-gets-exceptional-rating.html

Buffalo is a great hockey town. Anyone who knows anything about hockey can tell you that.

That said, there seem to be way, way, way more serious and casual fans of the Bills who are not hockey or sabre fans, than there are sabre fans who are not also Bills fans.

They exist, but pale in numbers. I have met thousands ofBuffalo sports fans in 50 years of following Buffalo sports. I have never spoke to even one person who was a Sabre fan but not a Bills fan. A lot of them loved hockey way more than football. But they also followed the Bills or the Nfl in some way. I've met a lot of Bills and football fans who could care less about hockey.

I was in Boston last week,and WEEI was talking hockey for a bit, and this was with Pats* camp ongoing! day before the baseball deadline and speculation the Sox two best pitchers would be traded .

Granted, it was only one segment, but happens in all multiple sport towns.

I am not hating on the Sabres, just don't think WGR needs to talk hockey in July and August and needs to put the NHL in perspective to the NFL, The NHL is barely a major league sport.

So in May and June should they be exclusive to the Bisons? And as stated before, NHL a major league team in Buffalo.

A number of Sabres prospects are participating this week at the National Junior Evaluation Camp in Lake Placid, the Sabres announced their assistant coaching hires today, the Harborcenter is nearing completion, and the Sabres will be participating in the 2014 NHL Prospect Tournament in Traverse City in early September.

I think you can take a break from the 10 hours of Bills centric daily discussion on WGR for those of us who enjoy both sports.

It's August, the day after the first BIlls preseason game and after Andre Reed's induction into the Hall of Fame. Oh, and the BIlls are for sale and Bon Jovi wants to buy them and move them to Toronto.

TIME TO TALK HOCKEY FOR TWO HOURS!

You do know that the 2 hour time slot occupied by Hockey Hotline(two hour paid infomercial by the Sabres?) was previously occupied by Colin Cowherd. My point...that two hour window(10AM-12PM) except for "Football Monday" or whatever they call it during the season, hasn't been dedicated to Bills talk in years.

Edited by LabattBlue

This isn't 1989 where your only options for daily Bills news are waiting for the paper to arrive at your doorstep or the 6 o'clock sports with Rick Azar. The daily information and talk that is literally at your fingertips 24/7/365 on both the Sabres and Bills is out of control. Whining about local radio coverage is asinine.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Junior Hockey Game being played in HSBC this winter, let's all about it non stop all day.

It's a game that features the top two players in the upcoming draft-one who may be a once in a generation player that the Sabres may have a legit shot at. Plus the combine will be held in Buffalo. Worth some discussion I think.