WGR Talking Hockey in Mid-July

ET1062

Okay..okay... I can deal with the hockey talk, and I enjoy the Sabres almost as much as the Bills...but lets not get delusional about which of the two franchises is more relevant to WNY..a few years ago, the Sabres were, perhaps, more the "buzz" team in Buffalo, because they were having lots of on ice success, at least in the regular season...and lets face it, the Bills were square in the middle of this current futility streak...all things equal, I think WNY would get a lot more swagger out of a Super Bowl victory than we would a Stanley Cup championship..nearing 50, I'll settle for either at this point..

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your at the most 31 years old. It shows.

Actually, I'm 43 and every bit aware of what constitutes the larger market share for the sports franchises in the region.

It's not a matter of myself choosing one sport over the other, the fact the region is located virtually right next door to a nation that thrives on hockey as opposed to football has a direct impact on that market share. It also hasn't helped football that the product has been substandard for many years now, while hockey has remained flexible with it's semi success in the mid 2000's and now appears to be righting the ship again.

There is also the secondary situation of ownership. Having one of the wealthiest sports franchise owners in all of sports own the Sabres has boosted that brands public image, especially the work that individual has done for the sport in general, not just the Harbor Center.

You don't have to like the analysis, but as I said, it's a geographical circumstance.

Uh, no.

Uh, yes.

The Hockey Hotline show is one of the worst things I have ever listened to. Kevin Sylvester is arrogant and his giggling at every tiny poor excuse for a joke is annoying. Andrew Peters has been hit in the head one too many times. So WGR has one show devoted to Hockey and one devoted to Football (John Murphy) The Hockey show is preempted 16 Mondays where as the Football show is preempted up to 82 times. WGR devotes far more time to hockey, barely a major sport in the USA, we are still in the USA right? We haven't been taken over by Canada have we?

Jeremy While will change the subject to hockey any chance he gets, even Junior Hockey. Is it any wonder he didn't get any bids for their golf tournament? When callers call the whiner line to complain about all the hockey talk, they brush it off as nonsense as if those callers don't have a point.

Why I started this post. The Bills reported to camp today and I turn on the radio at 3:00 and what is Schopp talking about? HOCKEY! It is 80 degrees out!!!

Enough already!

what u guys fail to realize is that Terry Pegula pays for the Sabres Show it is nothing more than an infomercial sponsored by Pegula . Same for Murphy's show Bills paid programming. Sabres should rethink Petey and Sylvester though.What is Peters highest level of completed education . Sylvester's gotta be golfing buddies with somebody.Should be Duffer and Biron or Barnaby or !@#$ing Sabertooth.

Actually, I'm 43 and every bit aware of what constitutes the larger market share for the sports franchises in the region.

It's not a matter of myself choosing one sport over the other, the fact the region is located virtually right next door to a nation that thrives on hockey as opposed to football has a direct impact on that market share. It also hasn't helped football that the product has been substandard for many years now, while hockey has remained flexible with it's semi success in the mid 2000's and now appears to be righting the ship again.

There is also the secondary situation of ownership. Having one of the wealthiest sports franchise owners in all of sports own the Sabres has boosted that brands public image, especially the work that individual has done for the sport in general, not just the Harbor Center.

You don't have to like the analysis, but as I said, it's a geographical circumstance.

Uh, yes.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/talkintv/2013/10/bills-get-big-tv-rating-sabres-still-sliding-.html

It's not even close.

I'd rather tune in and hear WGR break down the UB offensive line for 2 hours over hockey talk in July. I'm as big a Sabres fan as anyone, but just can't get into it during the summer. It's football time.

Uh, yes.

if you really think that the Sabres are a bigger draw in this town than the Bills, I really don't know what to tell you. Not to be rude here but you may be the most misinformed 40 year old I've ever spoken to. My opinion is that your incredibly naive and don't know what your talking about. You can believe what you want. Just because were minutes from Canada doesn't mean a thing. Were only a few hours from where football was started. It's no secret there are more football teams in the northeast than anywhere else in America. Yiu just sound like one of those angry hockey fans that think it deserves more attention. It's a fact... Hockey is the 4th most popular sport in the entire country. Behind football, basketball, and baseball. Honestly, I don't know how it beats out nascar. But keep thinking what you want. Have fun with your warped opinion. Edited by mrags

It's a fact... Hockey is the 4th most popular sport in the entire country. Behind football, basketball, and baseball. Honestly, I don't know how it beats out nascar. But keep thinking what you want. Have fun with your warped opinion.

Does it really matter where hockey ranks nationwide? It may not be number 1 in WNY(I bet it's closer than you think among WNY residents), but IMO, it is number 2 in WNY by a large margin over baseball, basketball, soccer, nascar, etc...(combined)

Bottom line(not necessarily directed at you)...The knuckleheads at WGR550 can only talk about the Bills for so many hours out of the day, especially when they never discuss them in depth. Don't forget they are also the flagship station of the Sabres.

Edited by LabattBlue

This thread has GOT to be one of the most ridiculous I have ever seen on this board. Are you freakin' kidding me?

Guy turns on GR and they aren't talking about football, so he has to piss and moan about it, like it's the most heinous offense that could possibly be committed because HE wants to hear them talking about football.

Mind you, they have talked every angle regarding the Bills,ad nauseum for the past several months, from the sale of the team to Kiko's injury, who's going to replace him. They've had Joe B on every day, twice a day for months til the only thing he has left is a top 20 countdown if the top talented players. Meanwhile, Murphy is interviewing the chick from Buffalo who produced the,Bills 2013 highlight film for Chris sakes, but Oh, heaven forbid, the Bills are out shopping for freakin fans and toiletries for camp and they're talking about the Sabres! Oh, let me get my panties all in a wad and play byeeatch on the Bills board.

And then endlessly debate which is the most important of the two teams like it freaking matters.

Get a life! Holy crap!

Edited by BuffaloBob

if you really think that the Sabres are a bigger draw in this town than the Bills, I really don't know what to tell you. Not to be rude here but you may be the most misinformed 40 year old I've ever spoken to. My opinion is that your incredibly naive and don't know what your talking about. You can believe what you want. Just because were minutes from Canada doesn't mean a thing. Were only a few hours from where football was started. It's no secret there are more football teams in the northeast than anywhere else in America. Yiu just sound like one of those angry hockey fans that think it deserves more attention. It's a fact... Hockey is the 4th most popular sport in the entire country. Behind football, basketball, and baseball. Honestly, I don't know how it beats out nascar. But keep thinking what you want. Have fun with your warped opinion.

Well technically assuming both teams sell out all home games ...

Ralph capacity 73,967 * 8 home games = 591,736

FNC capacity 19,070 * 41 home games = 781,870

I do agree that the Bills have more fans in the area than the Sabres do. But I think it is probably a lot closer than you might think. The Sabres consistently draw very large TV audiences, even when they suck like recently.

I can tell by your posts that you do not care for hockey and that is fine. But be that as it may, Buffalo is a very strong hockey market. There is no question about that.

I listen by tune in and within minutes I tune out. Here in atlanta they even spend time on the other teams in the division. Not wgr.

Yeah, but here in Buffalo (I am actually in Texas) people complain when they talk about teams other than the Bills...we need to hear the same tired analysis over and over and over again....

Well technically assuming both teams sell out all home games ...

Ralph capacity 73,967 * 8 home games = 591,736

FNC capacity 19,070 * 41 home games = 781,870

I do agree that the Bills have more fans in the area than the Sabres do. But I think it is probably a lot closer than you might think. The Sabres consistently draw very large TV audiences, even when they suck like recently.

I can tell by your posts that you do not care for hockey and that is fine. But be that as it may, Buffalo is a very strong hockey market. There is no question about that.

no. I don't like hockey. I barely think it's a sport. But besides that, I agree that we have a very strong hockey market. But to say that hockey is a bigger draw than footbool is just plain ridiculous. Anyone that thinks so deserves to be laughed at.

no. I don't like hockey. I barely think it's a sport. But besides that, I agree that we have a very strong hockey market. But to say that hockey is a bigger draw than footbool is just plain ridiculous. Anyone that thinks so deserves to be laughed at.

What does that even mean?

What does that even mean?

it means that I don't consider hockey player athletes. That hockey barely registers as a sport considering it barely is ratings wise throughout this country. That nobody outside of the northeast or Canada in North America even cares about it. That idiot Neanderthals like Peters and Kaleta can make millions off being bad fighters that never win or run like pansies when someone tries to fight them. They can barely skate, yet many idolize these two assclowns.

How's that???

I know I'll hear a bunch of crap from the hockey lovers here. I don't care. It's my opinion. You aren't changing it so don't even try.

it means that I don't consider hockey player athletes. That hockey barely registers as a sport considering it barely is ratings wise throughout this country. That nobody outside of the northeast or Canada in North America even cares about it. That idiot Neanderthals like Peters and Kaleta can make millions off being bad fighters that never win or run like pansies when someone tries to fight them. They can barely skate, yet many idolize these two assclowns.

How's that???

I know I'll hear a bunch of crap from the hockey lovers here. I don't care. It's my opinion. You aren't changing it so don't even try.

I could care less whether you like hockey or not.

But your reasoning that they aren't athletes is weak i.e. rating are weak so they suck? Last time I checked, there were two European teams holding two out of the three medals at the last Olympics so your geography argument is kaput.

I live and die by both teams. I have for 25+ years. (I'm 31)

I listen to it all because I enjoy it. If you don't like it, don't listen...it is that simple.

Or, you can go to the on-demand section and pick and choose what you want to listen to.

I don't know how to explain this, but I'll try and I hope it makes sense...

If you don't like hockey, that's on you. If you are from Buffalo and do not support the Sabres, that is on you. But, when they get good, and they WILL get very good within the next 3-5 years...you are going to miss out on a hell of a ride. I can promise you that. I believe in that.

Tim Murray (Anaheim) and Craig Patrick (Pittsburgh) have both built Stanley Cup teams. They know what they are doing.

I follow the NHL draft like I follow the NFL draft, and that is an understatement because it is an obsession. I can tell you, (yes it is my opinion, but a well informed one), this team is going to be dominant like 1999 and 2006, in the very near future...especially if they land McDavid.

Now, I don't know if you know who McDavid is...but he is the next Sydney Crosby, the next Wayne Gretzky...he'd be the biggest athlete in Buffalo sports history.

That is something that should excite you...and it shouldn't matter where it comes from, you should want your city to get a championship.

The Sabres are well on their way to building towards that...I can't stress enough how much talent they truly have, and that's a fact, not opinion.

My frustration was not directed AT you, as it was directed generally at the fact that I couldn't explain this to you how I wish I could.

I played hockey. I coached hockey. I scouted hockey. I did all the same with football. I don't speak out unless I know what I'm talking about and have done my homework. I follow this stuff like it is my job, I wish it could be. I try to remain as unbiased as possible, as you can clearly see.

But, I am telling you, as my opinion AND an informed fact, this Buffalo Sabres squad is worth the airtime. What they are building is special. It is something that deserves attention, especially this year...because, like I said, it is all about Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel, who is just as talented. (But, everyone wants McDavid)

You do what you wish...I am not going to argue anymore...but I think you are making a mistake not getting on board with Tim Murray and company.

For all we know, we might not have the Bills for much longer...I sure as hell hope we do, but nothing is set in stone quite yet. We saw with the Clippers, if someone comes in and bids $2 billion, then the team could be moved elsewhere. I doubt it happens, but it's a possibility.

At least we know the Sabres will be here until Terry Pegula dies (I hope he buys the Bills)...being sports fans, from Buffalo...you should all really hop on the wagon.

The future of the Sabres (and the Bills to a lesser extent) is very bright and promising...it's going to be a lot of fun, I hope you join us!

(I'll add...the Bills have ALWAYS taken priority over the Sabres in my fandom...until my Father passed away in 2008, now it's all equal.)

I've never seen someone so vehemently defend a sports talk radio show. who cares what other people think about it, unless you have a vested interest in the show. do you?

How's that???

Do you really want to know?

what u guys fail to realize is that Terry Pegula pays for the Sabres Show it is nothing more than an infomercial sponsored by Pegula . Same for Murphy's show Bills paid programming. Sabres should rethink Petey and Sylvester though.What is Peters highest level of completed education . Sylvester's gotta be golfing buddies with somebody.Should be Duffer and Biron or Barnaby or !@#$ing Sabertooth.

That's the bottom line.

It's not about which sport is more popular, it's about the station getting guaranteed revenue while not having to pay to produce a program.

How's that???

:rolleyes:

How's that???

I don't intend on changing your mind, but not athletes? That is just silly. The fitness and toughness of the average hockey player is far superior to that of any of the top 3 US sports. And regarding world wide support, it is far more popular in the rest of the world (Europe in particular) than football or basketball. Baseball is surprisingly popular in Japan and is growing in China so I'm not sure which is more popular.

I also dislike the assclowns like Peters and Kaletta. I saddened me deeply to see that the Sabres have a Kaletta-Junior in development camp. Every year there is less and less need for players like them. Hopefully the Sabres will figure that out as well.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Do you really want to know?

I really don't care about your opinion. Shut up

I don't intend on changing your mind, but not athletes? That is just silly. The fitness of the average hockey player is far superior to that of any of the top 3 US sports. And regarding world wide support, it is far more popular in the rest of the world (Europe in particular) than football or basketball. Baseball is surprisingly popular in Japan and is growing in China so I'm not sure which is more popular.

I also dislike the assclowns like Peters and Kaletta. I saddened me deeply to see that the Sabres have a Kaletta-Junior in development camp. Every year there is less and less need for players like them. Hopefully the Sabres will figure that out as well.

fair enough. But I really don't care about what's popular in Europe. If I wanted to watch something popular in Eirope I have about 40 episodes of Top Gear on my DVR I haven't seen yet. Edited by mrags