WGR Talking Hockey in Mid-July

ET1062

The John Murphy show gets preempted for Sabres games, there are 82 games a season, of course you have to subtract out Saturday and Sunday game, but I was trying to make a point and of course they have to be nitpicked and thus explained.

So, was that your point...or were you complaining about the fact they were talking about development camp this week in the first hour today?

Yes, you should explain...because there is a HUGE difference between those two.

Plus, you brought this all on yourself...so you should have to explain yourself when making such an outlandish comment.

How hard is it to post a response without an f bomb. And it's not really the same as a real Sabres training camp is it? I mean, it's just rookies and scrubs who play on third rate teams in a third rate league (compared to the NFL). Go ahead now, post a response that the sun will rise in the west tomorrow, that the NHL merits more media attention than the NFL. And don't forget the f bombs, genius.

Yes, first round picks in the NHL are third rate athletes..."genius."

Also, when the Buffalo Bills become relevant in the NFL and earn some media attention, maybe they'll get it.

And when the Sabres open training camp in September...they won't be able to talk about it because the NFL will be in season, huh?

Edited by Bob Malooga

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go to every single night practice and I can usually get tickets just days before, if not that day.

There is no chance that 15,000 people would show up for training camp. FACT OR OPINION?

Nor do the Buffalo Bills have the #1 talent pool in their league...like the Buffalo Sabres have with their prospects. FACT OR OPINION?

Maybe when they start to become relevant again, or if EJ Manuel becomes an NFL QB...that will change...until then, it doesn't. FACT OR OPINON?, EJ is an actual NFL QB.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: They are talking hockey, two hours every weekday, whether you like it or not...they have a Buffalo Sabres show...just like the they a 2 hour Buffalo Bills show, every week, all year...the Bufflao Sabres (there is another pro sports team in town) are having the NHL equivalant of their rookie mini-camp...some people are actually interested in the Sabres and the Bills...hard as that may be to fathom.... it seems like somebody starts this !@#$ing thread every other week....

Dude, don't "drop an f-bomb," when you start to make too much sense and prove these fools wrong...someone's panties might get in a bunch on a message board.

Training camp? Fact. There has never been 15,000 people at a single training camp session.

Sabres #1 talent pool in the NHL? Fact.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team-rankings/

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/07/07/top-five-systems

EJ being an NFL QB? He is one. Just not a good one. And that is my opinion...as it is many others. He ranks maybe 27th out of 32 NFL QB's.

You know you have won an argument when the other person starts resorting to name calling (morons) and f-bombs. Well done Vegas, I think we proved our point.

You think you won an argument with opinions...not facts.

You also fail to recognize who started the name calling and "f-bombs" first.

Didn't realize this was a middle-school d*ck measuring contest here.

they just draft #2 overall and rookie camp is going on. Why wouldnt they talk hockey?

Because people who don't like the sport, can't understand the sport, or could never play the sport for whatever reason...say they shouldn't.

I live and die by both teams. I have for 25+ years. (I'm 31)

I listen to it all because I enjoy it. If you don't like it, don't listen...it is that simple.

Or, you can go to the on-demand section and pick and choose what you want to listen to.

I don't know how to explain this, but I'll try and I hope it makes sense...

If you don't like hockey, that's on you. If you are from Buffalo and do not support the Sabres, that is on you. But, when they get good, and they WILL get very good within the next 3-5 years...you are going to miss out on a hell of a ride. I can promise you that. I believe in that.

Tim Murray (Anaheim) and Craig Patrick (Pittsburgh) have both built Stanley Cup teams. They know what they are doing.

I follow the NHL draft like I follow the NFL draft, and that is an understatement because it is an obsession. I can tell you, (yes it is my opinion, but a well informed one), this team is going to be dominant like 1999 and 2006, in the very near future...especially if they land McDavid.

Now, I don't know if you know who McDavid is...but he is the next Sydney Crosby, the next Wayne Gretzky...he'd be the biggest athlete in Buffalo sports history.

That is something that should excite you...and it shouldn't matter where it comes from, you should want your city to get a championship.

The Sabres are well on their way to building towards that...I can't stress enough how much talent they truly have, and that's a fact, not opinion.

My frustration was not directed AT you, as it was directed generally at the fact that I couldn't explain this to you how I wish I could.

I played hockey. I coached hockey. I scouted hockey. I did all the same with football. I don't speak out unless I know what I'm talking about and have done my homework. I follow this stuff like it is my job, I wish it could be. I try to remain as unbiased as possible, as you can clearly see.

But, I am telling you, as my opinion AND an informed fact, this Buffalo Sabres squad is worth the airtime. What they are building is special. It is something that deserves attention, especially this year...because, like I said, it is all about Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel, who is just as talented. (But, everyone wants McDavid)

You do what you wish...I am not going to argue anymore...but I think you are making a mistake not getting on board with Tim Murray and company.

For all we know, we might not have the Bills for much longer...I sure as hell hope we do, but nothing is set in stone quite yet. We saw with the Clippers, if someone comes in and bids $2 billion, then the team could be moved elsewhere. I doubt it happens, but it's a possibility.

At least we know the Sabres will be here until Terry Pegula dies (I hope he buys the Bills)...being sports fans, from Buffalo...you should all really hop on the wagon.

The future of the Sabres (and the Bills to a lesser extent) is very bright and promising...it's going to be a lot of fun, I hope you join us!

(I'll add...the Bills have ALWAYS taken priority over the Sabres in my fandom...until my Father passed away in 2008, now it's all equal.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

The John Murphy show gets preempted for Sabres games, there are 82 games a season, of course you have to subtract out Saturday and Sunday games, that's why I said up to 82 times

So most of the preemptions are in off-season?

Edited by GG

So most of the preemptions are in off-season?

The pre-emptions are for regular season games...there are 16 NFL games for the Bills, and there are 82 NHL games for the Sabres.

It's common sense. Lol.

So, yes...after January, when the Bills are no longer playing games and the Sabres are...it is in the NFL offseason.

Edited by Bob Malooga

The pre-emptions are for regular season games...there are 16 NFL games for the Bills, and there are 82 NHL games for the Sabres.

It's common sense. Lol.

So, yes...after January, when the Bills are no longer playing games and the Sabres are...it is in the NFL offseason.

Just checking my calendaring skills

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: They are talking hockey, two hours every weekday, whether you like it or not...they have a Buffalo Sabres show...just like the they a 2 hour Buffalo Bills show, every week, all year...the Bufflao Sabres (there is another pro sports team in town) are having the NHL equivalant of their rookie mini-camp...some people are actually interested in the Sabres and the Bills...hard as that may be to fathom.... it seems like somebody starts this !@#$ing thread every other week....

yes they have a 2 hour Sabres show. Yes they have a 2 hour Bills show. But that doesn't mean the 4 hours of WGR that Schoop and Bulldog are on should be completely monopolized by hockey talk. Yet it is most of the time.

Plus, I am sick of hearing about how good the Bills look with no pads on...they need to go out and prove themselves for once.

so instead you'd like to hear about the Sabres with no pads on?

Like others have said, there is hockey news happening this week.

there is football news too.

You're a "moron" too...THE SABRES ARE IN CAMP...THE BILLS ARE NOT!!! How f*cking hard is this to understand, holy sh*t!

Not to mention the Buffalo Sabres have been twice as relevant as the Buffalo Bills have in the past 15 years...that's a FACT.

Bills are in camp just as much as the Sabres are.

It's the offseason. Get a grip.

And how is twice as relevant a big deal? The Sabres have been to the playoffs like 3 times in 15 years. It's not like your talking about the 90s Red Wings here.

Buffalo is a hockey market first and foremost...kids grow up wanting to play hockey, not football.

(And NONE of this is even my opinion...it is a fact. I love football. It's always been my #1 sport...but you cannot argue hockey in Buffalo, NY!)

And again, the simplest fact of them all? The Sabres have been more relavent in 15 years than the Bills have...you cannot debate that, it's a fact.

this shows either how crazy you are, or how young you are. The Sabres and Buffalo hockey has only benefited because the Bills have sucked for so long.

All the teenie bopper kids jumped in the bandwagon in 99 and 06-07'. Without those years, hockey would be a barren desert in Buffalo compared to the Bills. Watch them make the playoffs and see how right you are.

People couldn't give away tickets to fill a measly 19,000 seat arena this year. The Bills fill up the 74,000 Stadium almost every week.

Again, relevance is only because the Bills have been horrible. But your a hockey fan first regardless what you say here.

There's a Sabres site to visit. Maybe you should toot your horn there.

Hockey is AT BEST!!! The 4th most popular sport in the United States. FACT!!!

I follow the NHL draft like I follow the NFL draft, and that is an understatement because it is an obsession. I can tell you, (yes it is my opinion, but a well informed one), this team is going to be dominant like 1999 and 2006, in the very near future...especially if they land McDavid.

Now, I don't know if you know who McDavid is...but he is the next Sydney Crosby, the next Wayne Gretzky...he'd be the biggest athlete in Buffalo sports history.

That is something that should excite you...and it shouldn't matter where it comes from, you should want your city to get a championship.

The Sabres are well on their way to building towards that...I can't stress enough how much talent they truly have, and that's a fact, not opinion.

I played hockey. I coached hockey. I scouted hockey. I did all the same with football. I don't speak out unless I know what I'm talking about and have done my homework. I follow this stuff like it is my job, I wish it could be. I try to remain as unbiased as possible, as you can clearly see.

But, I am telling you, as my opinion AND an informed fact, this Buffalo Sabres squad is worth the airtime. What they are building is special. It is something that deserves attention, especially this year...because, like I said, it is all about Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel, who is just as talented. (But, everyone wants McDavid)

Regardless if the Sabres land McDavid or Eichel they will have an additional infusion of high end talent from next year's draft. The Sabre system is already stacked with talent. That isn't a homer's view, it is the opinion of almost all of the NHL analysts. In a few years the talent in the lower system will be developed and brought up to the NHL. The excess amount of talent will be parlayed into additional high quality talent.

The foundation and direction of this franchise is now established. In a few years this team will be a legitimate Stanley Cup contender. This organization has the right owner, GM and HC. They are all in sync. With a little patience the fans will be rewarded with entertaining hockey and the tickets will be hard to come by. I'm excited about the near future of this hockey team

Edited by JohnC

No other radio station in the United States of America is devoting any time to their cities NHL developmental camp, ZERO, NADA, NIL!

And as a FYI, Schopp wasn't even talking about the developmental camp, he was talking about the Sabres tanking for draft position, IN JULY! We just had the NHL draft a few weeks ago!

Glad you totally missed and glossed over my point that the Bills daily show gets interrupted up to 82 times a year, maybe more in playoff seasons where the hockey show only gets interrupted 16.

i live in Columbus and have no idea if the CBJ had a development camp. I listen to local sports radio every day. They interviewed their 1st rd pick after the draft and that was it. Lol.

I wish another station would go with a sports oriented format. I think it would bury WGR. I for years listened to GR almost all day, but now mostly only listen to Rome, and a little bit in the morning, but Howard and Jeremy get old real quick.

I refuse to listen to Schopp. That arrogant A-hole has no listening value whatsoever! I miss the old days and "The Coach!"

Yup, exactly. The Sabres development camp was this week with lots of open practices and an open scrimmage that was streamed live. The Bills had ... players carrying TVs to their dorm rooms at SJF. If the OP and others don't like WGR, then why do you keep listening?