What is better, no guns, or more guns?

They need to close the "auto show" loophole.

A bunch of pages back where I made the comment about a 6000lb SUV being as dangerous as a gun, well they are. Its the human intent that needs to be stopped. Anything else is just a tool to accomplish their evil desires.

What about limiting public gatherings......for our own safety......

My mom, the teacher, wants a .38 special, and, she wants to carry this gun on her in the classroom. :blink:

First: Her reasoning is simple "I am responsible for my students, and if some psycho comes in here, I have nothing to protect them. I'm going to have to find something in my classroom and try to take them on and probably get killed. But, I can't just sit there and do nothing, waiting for him to kill me and my kids. I also work late a lot, and I have to walk to my car and pray nobody is waiting. And what's worse? We put up signs telling people we don't have any guns. So, the safest place for them to attack is a school. Tell me how that makes sense!"

Now, for those of you who are:

1. awash in suburban glee

2. living in the "good parts" of cities

3. idiots, etc.

you might say she's nuts.

However, it's you who are delusional. Her school has a very high propensity for attracting violence, gun or otherwise. There already have been many incidents and it's a minor miracle that guns haven't been involved. Knives have been pulled, staff have been assaulted. We are talking both kids and parents here. These are real things that have happened to real people, and there is no end to it.

So, the threat is real. But, unfortunately, we can't outlaw or punish idiots for being idiots, BEFORE, they do something idiotic. So, what's left? Answer: be prepared.

My mom isn't wrong about the threat, but, just like 65% of this country: she is wrong about the weapon. That's because, like 65% of this country, she doesn't know anything about guns. Guns are not a commodity. There are a wide variety of requirements for guns, and therefore a wide variety of gun designs.

Often guns are made to look intimidating, on purpose, so you don't have to use it. Also, they reuse certain parts because it costs less and they know they are reliable. An intimidating Colt rifle...may look like an M16, but that doesn't make it an M16, not even if you click your heels 3 times and say "assault rifle" on CNN. A real assualt rifle is already near impossible to obtain legally. You have to show a judge cause. You have to pay a huge fee. You have to register with all local law enforcement, It's a process a tiny number of people complete themselves.

The other fact here is: there are already 500 MILLION guns out there. Banning them does nothing. There is no "common sense gun control law" when we are talking about protection. Whatever law you make, the criminal adjusts accordingly. This is like taxing the internet. :rolleyes: There's always a workaround. If I know that you only have 5 rounds in your legal gun clip? I bring an illegal gun that has 9-10 rounds in its illegal gun clip.

What did your "common sense" cap on clip size accomplish? Nothing. If anything you are pushing people to find illegal clips so that they can have parity. Great. So now you're forcing people to break a stupid law that accomplishes nothing. Great Plan! :lol: Yeah: I love when I hear "common sense" from the left, as if they even know where to begin.

Tell Mom to get one of these on case one of the little creatins gets a hold of it or someone takes it away from her.

http://kitup.military.com/2014/02/smart-pistol-hits-shelves-california.html

As far as I'm aware, that contraption was never reintroduced to the US market after the enormous initial backlash against it, the company, and the two or three dealers that (almost) agreed to carry it. I'm still trying to figure out who they thought was going to buy an $1800 .22 pistol, anyway, especially when a person can buy 5 or 6 of their competitors' products for the same price.

As far as I'm aware, that contraption was never reintroduced to the US market after the enormous initial backlash against it, the company, and the two or three dealers that (almost) agreed to carry it. I'm still trying to figure out who they thought was going to buy an $1800 .22 pistol, anyway, especially when a person can buy 5 or 6 of their competitors' products for the same price.

Also, there's a marketing problem when labeling something a "smart" weapon, because it automatically calls the buyer "stupid."

I'm still trying to figure out who they thought was going to buy an $1800 .22 pistol, anyway, especially when a person can buy 5 or 6 of their competitors' products for the same price.

Maybe so they can keep it loaded and not have to worry about a child getting it and shooting it. Or someone that won't have to worry about being shot by their own gun if someone takes it away from them in a struggle (it happens). Or someone who doesn't want their gun used by bad guys if it ever gets stolen.

A lot of reasons why this makes sense.

Also, there's a marketing problem when labeling something a "smart" weapon, because it automatically calls the buyer "stupid."

I get your point, but the term smart technology is meant as a commentary on computer technology being in the product rather than the user's intelligence.

The difference between a normal watch, car, phone, and a smart watch, car, phone is the processing capacity of the device. The smart devices are exponentially more powerful.

Maybe so they can keep it loaded and not have to worry about a child getting it and shooting it. Or someone that won't have to worry about being shot by their own gun if someone takes it away from them in a struggle (it happens). Or someone who doesn't want their gun used by bad guys if it ever gets stolen.

A lot of reasons why this makes sense.

If someone takes it away, it still works once activated doesn't it? It would prevent use after theft, and children getting it though. I still wouldn't trust a child handling it though, so you'd still have to put it out of reach or locked up.

I get your point, but the term smart technology is meant as a commentary on computer technology being in the product rather than the user's intelligence.

The difference between a normal watch, car, phone, and a smart watch, car, phone is the processing capacity of the device. The smart devices are exponentially more powerful.

If someone takes it away, it still works once activated doesn't it? It would prevent use after theft, and children getting it though. I still wouldn't trust a child handling it though, so you'd still have to put it out of reach or locked up.

Not sure how close you gotta be.

When the RFID-equipped watch is activated by a PIN number and placed near the gun — like when a shooter grips the handle — it sends a signal to unlock the gun

It would prevent being shot by your own gun if it was less than say 6 inches.

All those devices you mentioned improves performance, while this feature disables the device to prevent bad behavior. A more accurate description would be"idiot-proof." ; pointing to the fact that anyone who buys it has to be protected from their own stupidity.

With all of the crimes and gun violence caused by criminals with stolen guns, this would be a way for a responsible gun owner to insure they will never contribute to that problem should his/her gun ever get stolen.

Because no one ever stole a watch before...