What is better, no guns, or more guns?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2016/07/20/the-loophole-mass-assault-weapons-ban/eEvOBklTriWcGznmXqSpYM/story.html ^

"The Massachusetts assault weapons ban mirrors the federal ban Congress allowed to expire in 2004. It prohibits the sale of specific weapons like the Colt AR-15 and AK-47 and explicitly bans copies or duplicates of those weapons. But gun manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to define what a copy or duplicate weapon is. They market state compliant copycat versions of their assault weapons to Massachusetts buyers. They sell guns without a flash suppressor or folding or telescoping stock, for example, small tweaks that do nothing to limit the lethalness of the weapon.

That will end now."

Q: If the gun does not have certain features like a flash suppressor or a collapsible stock, can it still be an Assault weapon?

Yes. If a weapon is a copy or duplicate of one of the enumerated models under one of the tests in the Enforcement Notice, it is a prohibited weapon, even if it does not have certain features such as a flash suppressor and a collapsible stock. In other words, a gun that meets one of the tests is an Assault weapon even if its flash suppressor is removed and/or its stock is pinned in a fixed position.

The Features Test, as referenced in state law and set out in the Enforcement Notice, is a separate and independent basis for concluding that a weapon is a banned Assault weapon.

Q: What if I already own a gun that is a copy or duplicate?

If a weapon is a copy or duplicate of one of the models enumerated in the law, it is an Assault weapon. But, as a matter of her discretion as a prosecutor, the Attorney General will not enforce the assault weapons ban against those who possess or transfer a copy or duplicate of a listed Assault weapon, if the weapon was obtained prior to July 20, 2016, when she issued the guidance.

The AGO also will not enforce the law against a gun dealer that possesses or transfers a copy or duplicate weapon that was obtained prior to July 20, 2016, provided that transfers, if any, are made to persons or businesses in states where ownership of the weapon is legal.

Q: I am a law enforcement officer. Does the guidance affect me?

No. The guidance does not change the law with respect to ownership of Assault weapons by law enforcement officers.

Q: What can I do to get rid of my gun?

There are frequent state, regional or local buyback programs. Check with your local police department.

You may also surrender any gun, at any time, for any reason to your local police department or to the State Police. See 5.15 CMR § 3.06.

Has anyone read this Enforcement Notice to figure what the test is to determine if a firearm is a copy or duplicate?

Has anyone read this Enforcement Notice to figure what the test is to determine if a firearm is a copy or duplicate?

Yes. LA nailed it. Doesn't matter what it is or what it does. It's what they think in their warped little uninformed minds that it might do and therefore...

To progressives? Anything that is 'scary-looking.'

What about it? No one says these things don't happen. The point is that there isn't an epidemic. Black people or anyone aren't at risk of being shot when they go outside. Your anecdotal evidence proves nothing.

As I posted (about an hour and a half ago) in the police shootings thread........there is no justification. Throw the book at him

I was crusading and missed it.

No. Not crusading. But missed it.

I am hoping that the media suppresses it. Let people find it, but don't make it mainstream... Only make matters worse.

Holding my breath... :-(

What about it? No one says these things don't happen. The point is that there isn't an epidemic. Black people or anyone aren't at risk of being shot when they go outside. Your anecdotal evidence proves nothing.

They are in Chicago!