Camp's about to start! Anybody miss Stevie?

eball

Although, Stevie did have more receptions, and more yards than Woods last season.

I also don't think it's even relevant to compare Stevie to Woods. We easily could have had both. Personally, I wish he were still a Bill.

it is relevant, because woods will be playing in the slot which is where Stevie played last year.they are the two most similar in skill sets as well. No reason to keep both. I do not think Stevie's reaction to being the 4th option here would have been ideal for the locker room. This regime picked RW. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting emotionally attached to any professional sports player in this day and age is to set yourself up for endless cycles of mental self abuse.

agreed. Put yourself at 3:45 pm on Sept 7. It's late in the 4th qtr, bills are up 6 and we just need to get a first down to ensure the bears don't get the ball back with a chance to win. It's 3rd down and the play is a pass to the slot. Who do you hope is the guy on the receiving end? Correct. Anyone but Stevie. I like him too, wish him well, but comfortable moving on.

agreed. Put yourself at 3:45 pm on Sept 7. It's late in the 4th qtr, bills are up 6 and we just need to get a first down to ensure the bears don't get the ball back with a chance to win. It's 3rd down and the play is a pass to the slot. Who do you hope is the guy on the receiving end? Correct. Anyone but Stevie. I like him too, wish him well, but comfortable moving on.

Remember that game winning TD catch against Carolina??? Simple pass, wide open... Remember how hard he made it look!

Remember that game winning TD catch against Carolina??? Simple pass, wide open... Remember how hard he made it look!

i could have caught that pass. I loved him for not dropping it, but the fact that we all were happily surprised he caught it is as telling as it gets.

Cant say I do or don't miss him yet. That said Eball, why this post? Did you not like Stevie that much?

His act (drops in big situations) wore thin with me. That, and his perpetual hammy/groin issues. Like the guy tremendously as a person and asset to his community, but I think he's the wrong type of receiver for a young QB, or for any system that relies upon timing.

I am tremendously excited about Watkins/Woods/Williams as our top 3 wideouts, with Goodwin in 4-WR sets to stretch the field. Tons of potential.

I bought his jersey a few seasons ago. He is a good player and appeared from the outside at least to take his leader role seriously. He shut down his extr curricular distraction stuff and was very productive.

That said it seems right that they went different directions, Stevie and the bills.

Hackett's o is about precise route running and timing. Stevie's best asset is stutter stepping his way to getting open. These two things don't coexist well. Also, there is a lot of younger talent on the roster with potential to be very good, perhaps even better themselves. Woods, watkins and Williams all have the potential to be top notch WRs.

I enjoyed the fact that he wanted to be here.

I didn't enjoy his on field antics that cost the team yards.

I didn't enjoy his worst possible time drops.

I don't know why someone would start a thread like this.

"Someone" started this thread mostly out of excitement that things are finally starting up again. It's been a couple of months since the trade and there has been a lot of talk in the press about the Bills' young WRs and whether EJ is going to develop into the QB he needs to be. I thought about it and said to myself, "I really don't miss Stevie" and wondered how folks were feeling at this point.

I know you have an axe to grind against me, but it really isn't a "nasty" thread...is it?

"Someone" started this thread mostly out of excitement that things are finally starting up again. It's been a couple of months since the trade and there has been a lot of talk in the press about the Bills' young WRs and whether EJ is going to develop into the QB he needs to be. I thought about it and said to myself, "I really don't miss Stevie" and wondered how folks were feeling at this point.

I know you have an axe to grind against me, but it really isn't a "nasty" thread...is it?

I have no axes. I don't know you. If I had an ax you'd be axed.

Why not start a thread about the current WR's and how excited you are about them?

I didn't read through 3 pages, but, have you responded in this way to everyone who may express surprise that this thread was started? If not, I'd look in the mirror if I were you. My guess is the ax is on your shoulder.

Every year I ask that a separate section for Ex-Bill Threads be created; whether they are pro or con with regard to the ex-Bill being discussed. This place gets flooded with them every year; especially once the season starts. I personally have no problem with this thread; probably because I was a Stevie fan.

But if I had an ax, I'd likely cut down the tree branch that I have to duck under every time I mow the lawn. But I only have a saw. And I will saw the branch instead of axing the branch.

And I think Payday is the best candy bar ever invented.

Go Mets!

Was Stevie Johnson a good player? Sure he was. He was a productive receiver for the Bills, and of that there can be no doubt. However, it always seemed to me that he was more focused on the next celebration than he was winning. We need a culture of winning before we worry about celebration. I won't miss Stevie. I don't wish him ill will none the less.

But if I had an ax, I'd likely cut down the tree branch that I have to duck under every time I mow the lawn. But I only have a saw. And I will saw the branch instead of axing the branch.

And I think Payday is the best candy bar ever invented.

Go Mets!

You are a sick sick man...

Payday??

Mets???

How dare you saw the tree....

BOOOO THIS MAN!

You are a sick sick man...

Payday??

Mets???

How dare you saw the tree....

BOOOO THIS MAN!

Sorry, Lorax.

I'm not a fan of the Payday bar either.

Further proof that it's an excellent product. Enjoy your Skor bar.

Somewhere there is a list of players that have singlehandedly won games for the Bills. I'm not sure he is on it.

To that same point, I do remember plenty of games where he's had the case of the drops at a very inopportune time.

To that same point, I do remember plenty of games where he's had the case of the drops at a very inopportune time.

He was once the difference between a (6-10) season and a (7-9) season. I will never forgive him for that.

it is relevant, because woods will be playing in the slot which is where Stevie played last year.they are the two most similar in skill sets as well. No reason to keep both. I do not think Stevie's reaction to being the 4th option here would have been ideal for the locker room. This regime picked RW.

SJ, as you know, has not always play in the slot. And, if we had retained him, I don't think he would have been fourth on the depth chart. If Watkins is everything we hope he will be, SJ would've been our second most versatile WR, and not unlikely, still our most productive.

Still, even if we had retained him, it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't have been his last season with the Bills. And, it's impossible to look past the crucial drops of his career (the only reason, imo, that this thread even exists). But, I still think it was a mistake to let him go this year, given the stated "win now" philosophy Whaley is espousing. At the start of the season, even by the standards of the SJ haters, we will have at least three WRs who are less talented than Stevie Johnson.

SJ, as you know, has not always play in the slot. And, if we had retained him, I don't think he would have been fourth on the depth chart. If Watkins is everything we hope he will be, SJ would've been our second most versatile WR, and not unlikely, still our most productive.

Still, even if we had retained him, it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't have been his last season with the Bills. And, it's impossible to look past the crucial drops of his career (the only reason, imo, that this thread even exists). But, I still think it was a mistake to let him go this year, given the stated "win now" philosophy Whaley is espousing. At the start of the season, even by the standards of the SJ haters, we will have at least three WRs who are less talented than Stevie Johnson.

my opinion is that he is not more talented or versatile than Williams or Woods. I would rather have Williams on the outside than him. I don't think his unorthodox route running was a fit with EJ's development. I can't look before last season because it is a new QB and different system. I think he will be more effective with SF's system and the Bills O will be more effective with this group.

Beyond the on the field aspect, however, I do have some knowledge into why he was traded. The Bills didn't want him on the team going forward if they were able up shore up the WR group in the offseason, and they were. He was on the block as far back as the combine. I originally wanted them to keep him too. He wasn't the type of player they felt they could build a winner with.

Edited by YoloinOhio

my opinion is that he is not more talented or versatile than Williams or Woods. I would rather have Williams on the outside than him. I don't think his unorthodox route running was a fit with EJ's development. I can't look before last season because it is a new QB and different system. I think he will be more effective with SF's system and the Bills O will be more effective with this group.

Right on! This move was def a win-win... I can't remember exactly where I read it, but Stevie's route running wasn't conducive for a young QB... Routes never the same, timing never got ironed out, etc... I'm certainly not a film junkie, nor do I know everything (lol) but I can totally see how his unique route running could cause fits for EJ...