Camp's about to start! Anybody miss Stevie?

eball

I'm not so sure Stevie liked playing the slot where being slammed after catch, sometimes sandwiched, is business as usual. I don't want to be seen as hating on a good player, but watching film he would typically run out of bounds when he could instead of putting his shoulder down and going for extra YAC. It was commented on Twitter by former players "#13 never comes back for the ball" which also typically results in being pasted. Can I blame him, eh, he was playing hurt a lot of the time, he was not on a team of winners all striving for that extra bit....lots of factors.

I'm also pretty sure his unorthodox route running style didn't fit at all with what Marrone is trying to do with the offense and teach EJ.

I wish him success with the 9ers. He definitely has the potential to be a game changer by getting open when other WR can't, or by attracting attention so other WR can.

I believe that being on a championship-contender team where he's no longer the best WR on the team will inspire Stevie, and I believe that Harbaugh will be adept enough to use him to his best advantage and he'll contribute.

I'm not so sure Stevie liked playing the slot where being slammed after catch, sometimes sandwiched, is business as usual. I don't want to be seen as hating on a good player, but watching film he would typically run out of bounds when he could instead of putting his shoulder down and going for extra YAC. It was commented on Twitter by former players "#13 never comes back for the ball" which also typically results in being pasted. Can I blame him, eh, he was playing hurt a lot of the time, he was not on a team of winners all striving for that extra bit....lots of factors.

I'm also pretty sure his unorthodox route running style didn't fit at all with what Marrone is trying to do with the offense and teach EJ.

I wish him success with the 9ers. He definitely has the potential to be a game changer by getting open when other WR can't, or by attracting attention so other WR can.

I believe that being on a championship-contender team where he's no longer the best WR on the team will inspire Stevie, and I believe that Harbaugh will be adept enough to use him to his best advantage and he'll contribute.

I think he gets at least 40 catches and 600 yards and would not be surprised at all if he has his 4th 1000 yard season.

Good player, finally on a good team with a real coach.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno, I liked him and agree he will give DB's fits out there. That said, big drops and big fumbles cost us games. Every time you start missing him watch the Atlanta game highlights.

+1

(or the Pittsburgh game)

I think what last year showed us is that he's not getting better about it either.

Edited by BobChalmers

I am sure there will be a thread about him the first time he has a good game. It will be next to the Da'Rick thread which will be next to the Byrd thread which will be next to the Levitre thread which will be next to the Khalil Mack thread. Whaley is in the process of building a playoff team. That is his job. It involves a lot of complicated factors that most people do not understand who have not worked for an NFL team. I am not trying to sound condescending although I know it sounds that way but it is true. I don't understand it all either but I know people who do. Lots of stuff the media and fans will never know. All of these guys are talented, good NFL players who will have good games. That will not be an indictment on the Bills. Not everything needs to be. Whaley is trying to build a winning team, let's see how it turns out. JMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I might be in the minority here, but I wish Stevie was still on the team.

Me too.

I think that about five games in many are going to wish he were. The expectations being placed upon Watkins are unreasonable and those expectations are now coming from the top.

Woods hasn't proven a whole lot yet, Goodwin is the role-player he was at UT, Williams should be the leading veteran receiver for the rest to look up to, but he's done the opposite and is reported to be on the bubble for even making the 53.

Buffalo, land of unreasonable expectations.

In the right situation (like San Fran) Stevie can really shine. His unorthodox route running is hard for db's to cover. Maybe his style didn't fit with what we wanted to do but he's going to do some damage in the slot with the Niners and we are going to be jealous. EJ has good chemistry with Woods but he's small, I don't know how well he's going to do running across the middle. I wish we would have kept him

Robert Woods is small?

I personally liked Stevie Johnson......and I still understand why it was time for Stevie to go......

We need to get rid of all the non clutch players that we depend on a lot off of this team. This is not to say that Stevie didnt have great production.......but when it was time to actually win the game with a big play? I was always hoping the ball went somewhere OTHER then Stevie Johnson......

Enter stage Sammy Watkins

Me too.

I think that about five games in many are going to wish he were. The expectations being placed upon Watkins are unreasonable and those expectations are now coming from the top.

Woods hasn't proven a whole lot yet, Goodwin is the role-player he was at UT, Williams should be the leading veteran receiver for the rest to look up to, but he's done the opposite and is reported to be on the bubble for even making the 53.

Unreasonable expectation??? Here??? WHAAAATTTTTT?????

That being said,.. I'm sure that whatever production we get out of SWAT, Williams, and Woods will more than compensate for SJ... I'm not trying to suggest that it will take all three, merely that his production will at least be spread over those three WR's.... Big year for our QB and WR's this year!!

Me too.

Reported by whom? You did read, I'm sure, the actual reports that Williams was held back during OTAs while recovering from injury, right?

Woods is a 2nd-year player so I don't see how he could have proven "a whole lot" yet -- but he had pretty good numbers as a rookie and made some clutch catches. Have you heard or read something we should be concerned about that Woods won't continue to develop? Do you think Stevie has better hands?

What unreasonable expectations for Watkins are you referring to, specifically? Most of what I've seen suggests a pretty "pedestrian" output for a No. 1 WR. Ideally, his presence on the field opens things up for Williams and Woods (and the TEs) -- and the running game.

I remember when Lee Evans was traded there were many saying we'd miss him as well.

Me too.

MIke Rodak IS Tasker's Ghost! I knew it.

I haven't read through all 5+ pages of this, but here's my take..

Stevie was a bright spot over the past 5-6 years when the team was the epitome of mediocrity. I didn't mind the showmanship (though I was glad that Gailey benched him for doing stupid stuff on the field), he usually put up good numbers, and he was one of the few WRs who was consistently beating the so-called best DB in the game (Darelle Revis).

That said, I think it was time for him to go. His fumbles and drops at the worst possible times, along with the lack of chemistry he had with EJ probably led to the trade. I hope he does well in San Fran, just not when they play Buffalo. :flirt:

Edited by BuffaloWings

Robert Woods is small?

Yep have you seen him in person? He's about 5'11 180 I'd guess. I'm 6'0 190 which is what he's listed as but he looked smaller than me at Camp last year and I personally wouldn't want to be catching passes across the middle vs LB's that are 250lb+ of solid muscle so I would consider him small. Our other 2 receivers are well over 6 feet and 215 pounds. They have more of an nfl body and can take a beating. I would question Woods' long term durability working the under routes but we'll see how it goes

Yep have you seen him in person? He's about 5'11 180 I'd guess. I'm 6'0 190 which is what he's listed as but he looked smaller than me at Camp last year and I personally wouldn't want to be catching passes across the middle vs LB's that are 250lb+ of solid muscle so I would consider him small. Our other 2 receivers are well over 6 feet and 215 pounds. They have more of an nfl body and can take a beating. I would question Woods' long term durability working the under routes but we'll see how it goes

Most a lot receivers in the NFL are small... As easy as it is to say YOU wouldn't want to get hit by that LB, they are getting paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars to do so.

I believe they use quick routes, fast breaks, and their shiftiness/elusiveness to keep from taking those solid hits... Occasionally you see those men getting blown up in the middle, but more often it's an arm tackle...

I think Woods was born to play in the slot. But I don't think he will be there 100% of the time. Hackett seems to have purposefully tried to create versatility in the WR corp. to fit his scheme. While I think we will see Watkins and Williams there at times, I can also see them using Hogan there. Flame away, I know he has a bad rep, but that's they way things are going. They'll use and abuse him there when needed.

I think Woods was born to play in the slot. But I don't think he will be there 100% of the time. Hackett seems to have purposefully tried to create versatility in the WR corp. to fit his scheme. While I think we will see Watkins and Williams there at times, I can also see them using Hogan there. Flame away, I know he has a bad rep, but that's they way things are going. They'll use and abuse him there when needed.

I was going to ask if you really expected Hogan to make the roster, but that would have been foolish...

How many WR's do you think they keep, and who gets cut... (I'm interested)

I was going to ask if you really expected Hogan to make the roster, but that would have been foolish...

I feel like TJ is expendable now that we have Goodwin. TJ will need a REALLY strong camp to make this team.

Everything I have heard is that Hogan is looking great lately. If he keeps it up then he makes the cut.

1. Watkins

2. Williams

3. Woods

4. Goodwin

5. Hogan

6. Easley (special teams)

It sure looks that way. He doesn't excite me either. But we may not see him unless there is an injury or they are ahead by a lot (yes it could happen) and want to sacrifice him out there instead of Woods. He has a nice frame for the slot and apparently was money in OTAs. If he can show strong route running, separation, willngness to block and play ST, and the like in TC and most importantly chemistry with EJ, he'll be here. I think they keep 6 WRs:

Sammy

MW19

Woody

Flash

7-11

Elliott

Easley and Graham are cuts. I will not be surprised if Easley stays but have a hunch they keep the WR with more upside at the position vs. relying on ST ability only esp since Elliott was pretty darn good on ST last year before he got hurt. Elliott is 6'3 and looked good in OTAs, worked with EJ in the offseason. Can see him edging out Easley who didn't even partake in OTAs due to injury and shown nothing in real game action as a WR to say he should make it. I wish we could keep 7 and if could, Easley stays for ST alone. But I'll take WR depth over ST since we added other ST studs in the offseason. Elliott has the size we need too. That last WR spot will interesting.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Why are we crapping on the guy? A 7th rounder who put up good numbers, enjoyed playing here and was traded away instead of bolting when his contract was up like a lot of players have. Not saying you have to miss him but to start up a thread to crap on him? Save it for Dbags like Byrd.

BTW I'm good w Stevie no longer on the team but I just don't understand all the hate the guy STILL gets.

I honestly don't get it either, and perhaps it says something about the karma surrounding this franchise.

From what I saw, all SJ did was get open, and that was against some of the very best DB's in the league like Revis Island. No other Bills WR in the history of the team had three 1000 yard seasons in a row. The guy played hurt all the time with various injuries that would sideline most players.

The biggest thing in my view is that he loved playing for the Buffalo Bills. Which is something that so many other players have shown that they wanted out of Buffalo. McGahee, Byrd, Levitre, Poz, Whitner, among others.

Do I miss him? The season hasn't even started yet, and we don't know how this receiver corps will look until the regular season games begin. My first thoughts are yes, the Bills will miss that guy who was always open. Will they miss the critical drops, or the antics...no!

All I can do is wish SJ the best in SF.