Camp's about to start! Anybody miss Stevie?

eball

Stupid. Josh Reed was a scrub who was drafted high.

The best part is the people crapping on SJ will be the first ones complaining if Sammy struggles or SJ has a good game.

could you count on him in the clutch?...no

did DC's have to game plan around him?...no

does he have ANY qualities non-homers would consider elite? (size, speed, hands) ... no

relative to the amount of starts, did he score a meaningful amount of points that mattered?... no

did his peers/ other fans respect him as a player more than a 'character'?... no

as far as him loving to play in buffalo and his good citizenship and all, you think he's gonna come back and raise a family there?... c'mon man

he was a glamor grabbing (when he could) over achieving 6th round draft pick. I'm really not even sure that if he gets drafted by a decent squad, he makes the team. He doesn't work out in the offseason and it shows when it's time to go. giving him another excuse (injury) as to why he can't achieve his goals. The fact that we had so many coaches and qb's probably enabled his stay here more, as no one saw fit to grab one decent wideout after he got here. he was just enough of a tease to prevent that position from climbing up the draft board.

but i can understand his likability for the younger generation of fans, due to his swagger and sense of entitlement for talents that are quite frankly, meh...

Edited by You herd it hear last

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does he have ANY qualities non-homers would consider elite? (size, speed, hands) ... no

relative to the amount of starts, did he score a meaningful amount of points that mattered?... no

did his peers/ other fans respect him as a player more than a 'character'?... no

as far as him loving to play in buffalo and his good citizenship and all, you think he's gonna come back and raise a family there?... c'mon man

he was a glamor grabbing (when he could) over achieving 6th round draft pick. I'm really not even sure that if he gets drafted by a decent squad, he makes the team. He doesn't work out in the offseason and it shows when it's time to go. giving him another excuse (injury) as to why he can't achieve his goals. The fact that we had so many coaches and qb's probably enabled his stay here more, as no one saw fit to grab one decent wideout after he got here. he was just enough of a tease to prevent that position from climbing up the draft board.

but i can understand his likability for the younger generation of fans, due to his swagger and sense of entitlement for talents that are quite frankly, meh...

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

Then, I'm guessing Jim Harbaugh & the 49ers must be homers. God, how dumb must they be to give up a potential 3rd rounder for a scrub like SJ. What have they done lately? I'll def take the judgement of jaded Bills fans over the 49ers.

How soon until we start running Watkins out of town & crapping on his production?

still think it was a stupid move for a "win now" mentality. yes i do, i found him entertaining and a fun personality. don't really see that often on the bills.

Well said. Hopefully, it works out well for both parties. But I would rather have SJ than Mike "Stab" Williams.

still think it was a stupid move for a "win now" mentality. yes i do, i found him entertaining and a fun personality. don't really see that often on the bills.

How many wins/points does one get for an "entertaining and a fun personality?" I know it cost us 5 wins over the course of 4 years. If you want to be in or follow a business where "entertaining and a fun personality" is important, go into stand up comedy.

How many wins/points does one get for an "entertaining and a fun personality?" I know it cost us 5 wins over the course of 4 years. If you want to be in or follow a business where "entertaining and a fun personality" is important, go into stand up comedy.

No offense but I hate that point. If SJ was with Brady in NE instead of Fitz in Buffalo, he is a winner. It's a team game.

No offense but I hate that point. If SJ was with Brady in NE instead of Fitz in Buffalo, he is a winner. It's a team game.

Good point. I totally agree that it's a team game. Perhaps I should have said he played an instrumental part in 5 losses over 4 years. Fair enough?

I'm not sure he could stay on the team with Brady because most coaches, like Marrone, won't put up with a guy that can't catch the football and helps cost the team wins (2 last year alone).

SJ's 1000 yard seasons were a major accomplishment by him, but also helped in large part by Fitz and there being no one else on team to throw to. You may remember SJ's running mates Ruvell Martin, Brad Smith, Donald Jones, TJ Graham, David Nelson ...

Edited by reddogblitz

Good point. I totally agree that it's a team game. Perhaps I should have said he played an instrumental part in 5 losses over 4 years. Fair enough?

I'm not sure he could stay on the team with Brady because most coaches, like Marrone, won't put up with a guy that can't catch the football and helps cost the team wins (2 last year alone).

SJ's 1000 yard seasons were a major accomplishment by him, but also helped in large part by Fitz and there being no one else on team to throw to. You may remember SJ's running mates Ruvell Martin, Brad Smith, Donald Jones, TJ Graham, David Nelson ...

I remember most of those useless catches while opposing defenses were in Prevent cuz they were up Double Digits in the second half!

In the right situation (like San Fran) Stevie can really shine. His unorthodox route running is hard for db's to cover. Maybe his style didn't fit with what we wanted to do but he's going to do some damage in the slot with the Niners and we are going to be jealous. EJ has good chemistry with Woods but he's small, I don't know how well he's going to do running across the middle. I wish we would have kept him

I agree Stevie could do well in San Fran, but, IF he does, he would not have done it with the Bills.

I will not miss Stevie.

And, Woods is not small!

Fact and historical evidence > conjecture/fantastical scenarios

I'm sure Brady wouldn't have been to happy with his drops and inconsistent play too, if you want to go there.

Well considering Vereen, Thompkins, & Dobson all had higher drop rates, Brady probably would disagree with you. http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

Interesting, Jonhson's drop rate was lower than Ex Pat Welker & Brandon Marshall.

I'm sure Brady wouldn't have been to happy with his drops and inconsistent play too, if you want to go there.

Oh h*ll no, nor with his route running.

You play for NE, you run the route the way Brady expects and you're where he expects you to be when he expects it, or No Football for YOU, mate.

I've heard the same thing about Manning and it wouldn't surprise me if similar stories could be told about Brees and Rodgers.

Well said. Hopefully, it works out well for both parties. But I would rather have SJ than Mike "Stab" Williams.

Mike Williams: 25 TDs in 215 career catches (11.6%), 13.7 yards/catch

Stevie: 28 TDs in 301 career catches (9.3%), 12.7 yards/catch

Might want to re-think that -- if you're concerned about on-the-field production and not off-the-field personality, that is...

I'm sorry but what "facts" did you post?

could you count on him in the clutch?...no This is a hilarious assessment, how many of any the Bills on offense could you "count on" in the clutch in the past 6 years? Maybe FJ, but he has a severe case of the fumbles that fans conviently ignore. Even saying that, me personally, I'm looking for a "clutch" QB.

did DC's have to game plan around him?...no Pure speculation here, you have absolutely no idea who DC's game planned for.

does he have ANY qualities non-homers would consider elite? (size, speed, hands) ... no And this means what again? There are examples all over the NFL of players who don't have elite qualities but are elite players. And guess what, there are many examples of players with elite qualities who have gone no where in the NFL.

relative to the amount of starts, did he score a meaningful amount of points that mattered?... no Points that matter? Really? By my estimation every TD or point he scored mattered, when the goal of an NFL game is to score more points than the other team.

did his peers/ other fans respect him as a player more than a 'character'?... no Pure speculation, again.

Anyways, here's some facts for you:

Stevie Johnson in Bills history is:

7th in TD's (28) ahead of Peeress Price and way way far ahead of Josh Reed (10), who played for the Bills longer. Also the 6 in front of him, all had longer tenure's with the Bills.

8th in yards (3,832) again, ahead of Peerless Price and Josh Reed. And again the one's ahead of him all had longer tenure's with the Bills.

6th in receptions (301) again, ahead of Peerless Price and Josh Reed. And again the one's ahead of him all had longer tenure's with the Bills.

I don't understand the need to crap on the guys career here in Buffalo. The Bills took a 7th round (not 6th round) player and were able to get a great deal of production out of him. Did he make mistakes? Sure, but so did loads of players the last 6 years he was here, hence the 6-10, 7-9 records. If you think SJ was the difference between a wining record and being 6-10, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I don't miss him, because how would I know if he's missed or not, there hasn't been a down of official football yet. But I wish him well in SF and hope for the best while he's there.

The issues some fans, myself included, have with SJ was not entirely his statistics or numbers or "clutch" game time performance, ala drop against Pitt and fumble against Atlanta, but his demeanor and attitude. That doesn't mean I don't respect what he *DID* do for the BILLS while he played, it just means that his attitude or demeanor are highlighted when his statistics or "clutch" performance are overshadowed by the aforementioned attitude or demeanor....SJ is a good WR, there's no arguing that (IMHO anyways), it's that he's not a *great* WR and so when his other foolish antics cost the BILLS yards or plays or penalties, etc., it overshadows what would otherwise be a good contributor for the BILLS...

Edited by BigBuff423

7th in TD's (28) ahead of Peeress Price and way way far ahead of Josh Reed (10), who played for the Bills longer. Also the 6 in front of him, all had longer tenure's with the Bills.

8th in yards (3,832) again, ahead of Peerless Price and Josh Reed. And again the one's ahead of him all had longer tenure's with the Bills.

6th in receptions (301) again, ahead of Peerless Price and Josh Reed. And again the one's ahead of him all had longer tenure's with the Bills.

I don't understand the need to crap on the guys career here in Buffalo. The Bills took a 7th round (not 6th round) player and were able to get a great deal of production out of him. Did he make mistakes? Sure, but so did loads of players the last 6 years he was here, hence the 6-10, 7-9 records. If you think SJ was the difference between a wining record and being 6-10, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I don't miss him, because how would I know if he's missed or not, there hasn't been a down of official football yet. But I wish him well in SF and hope for the best while he's there.

This

Ok, this is a bit disingenuous. I agree as much as anyone that it was likely time to move on, but lets not paint him as a crappy player.

Clutch? I'll give you that.

Gameplans? He is usually lined up across the opposite team's best DB, so there's that.

Elite quality? Yes, he's great at beating press, and route running.

Peers? I'm pretty sure multiple DBs said SJ was one of the most difficult to cover.

Points? This isn't fully on him... remember his QBs

Is he the best WR in the game? Nope. Does he have faults? Yup. Does he have great/elite qualities? Yes.

He's probably a top 15-20 WR in the game, and there's nothing wrong with that.

All that red reminded me of one of my Comp classes... Thanks... Lol

Ok, this is a bit disingenuous. I agree as much as anyone that it was likely time to move on, but lets not paint him as a crappy player.

Clutch? I'll give you that.

Gameplans? He is usually lined up across the opposite team's best DB, so there's that.

Elite quality? Yes, he's great at beating press, and route running.

Peers? I'm pretty sure multiple DBs said SJ was one of the most difficult to cover.

Points? This isn't fully on him... remember his QBs

Is he the best WR in the game? Nope. Does he have faults? Yup. Does he have great/elite qualities? Yes.

He's probably a top 15-20 WR in the game, and there's nothing wrong with that.

admittedly, I find myself enjoying our WR corps as a whole much more now..

It's easy to look back and find reasons to not be upset with SJ's departure...

I am anxious to see what he can do on another roster. I remember him in his rookie year with those dread locks... Don't know why, but I had a hunch on him then...