What if EJ Is Really Good and Stays Healthy?

Gugny

The closer we get to training camp, and the further away we get from the hype leading up to the draft and free agency, the more I think Whaley&Co have set things up perfectly for their young quarterback. The knee-jerk response to the SWAT pick (and the rest of the Bills' draft) is to presume everything now rests on EJ's shoulders but I don't think that's really the case. By virtue of the position he plays EJ will always be the hero or the goat but this team now has enough talent to win games without perfect, or even great, QB play. That alleviates pressure on the guy, giving him more slack to grow and make mistakes without costing the team wins.

The defense will be better this year than last, and last year's defense was pretty friggin' good. Eric-turnstile-Pears is a few weeks away from a pink slip which will be addition by subtraction. And the draft brought in some much needed beef to the O-Line helping not just the QB but CJ and FredEx as well. Of course having a true number one wide receiver, someone who will force defenses to account for him every play, will open up the running game and give CJ more lanes. With the way SWAT blocks, this running game is only going to improve from last year. That's gotta scare the rest of the league.

Sure, if EJ can step in and be lights out from day one that would be amazing -- but now he doesn't have to and the Bills can still contend for a division title. Some might see it as a make or break year for EJ, and I was one of those immediately after the draft, but not anymore. Barring injuries, this team is built to give EJ all the time he needs to develop at his own pace. We might see added pressure on the guy considering the roster moves but if anything it's the opposite in the locker room. It's less pressure on number 3 knowing that his defense can win games by itself, not to mention the comfort it must be to know that Marrone can deploy SWAT, CJ, Williams, Woody, Goodwin at the same time which means someone will always be open.

I have a good feeling about EJ this season, I'm not going to deny it. I think the guy is going open some eyes -- but he doesn't need to be Superman or even try to be. With this roster even if he doesn't improve from last year but stays healthy, the Bills are in the playoffs.

And that's okay by me...

:thumbsup:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would a line up of Mike Williams, Sammy, Woods, Goodwin and Manual or Williams, Stevie, Woods, Goodwin and Bortles ( or another one of the early drafted QB's ) feel better right now. Somehow, reading about Manuel in OTA's is making me feel GREAT about the decision we made.

When he says he Is trying to remain even keeled and not too emotional he sounds like a true, mature leader. Being able to make throws in practice is becoming pleasantly familiar.

It would be a step in the right direction. We need something to rally around!

Ok- we've had the "what if" threads regarding EJ...

What if he sucks...

What if he's great...

Who wants to start the "what if he is mediocre" thread???

Or, "if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their ass when they jumped"

What if EJ doesn't suck and every other offensive player has a career year?

Ok- we've had the "what if" threads regarding EJ...

What if he sucks...

What if he's great...

Who wants to start the "what if he is mediocre" thread???

Or, "if frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their ass when they jumped"

But this thread is different. It's very different.

even if EJ is a mediocre QB, we have the running game and the defense to be a VERY good team. we just need him to not lose us games and a couple of game winning drives like the Panthers game last year wouldn't hurt either :thumbsup:

You're nuts. We're all Bills fans here. If EJ's good and stays healthy, 99.9% of this board will be jolly.

As a seasoned veteran here, I would respectfully disagree with this math. Perfect example...Spiller puts up a monster season in 2012 and yet BEFORE the season ever began you and a few others were still slamming him. Threads were started to mock his 2000 yard goal and tear down his recent success.

EJ has even more haters...If EJ has a good year and we make the playoffs, there will still be a lot of haters saying it was the TEAM that made him good...hes a system guy...he can't continue it...he's due to get hurt again...etc etc.

Rather than celebrate him, some will still try and prove they are right about him not being the right guy. About the only chance of hitting the ratio of 99.9% is if we win the SB and he is SB MVP.

As a seasoned veteran here, I would respectfully disagree with this math. Perfect example...Spiller puts up a monster season in 2012 and yet BEFORE the season ever began you and a few others were still slamming him. Threads were started to mock his 2000 yard goal and tear down his recent success.

EJ has even more haters...If EJ has a good year and we make the playoffs, there will still be a lot of haters saying it was the TEAM that made him good...hes a system guy...he can't continue it...he's due to get hurt again...etc etc.

Rather than celebrate him, some will still try and prove they are right about him not being the right guy. About the only chance of hitting the ratio of 99.9% is if we win the SB and he is SB MVP.

I agree but that is most team's message boards. If you visit any of them, half the posters are tearing down the QB. Yes, Peyton, Brady, Rivers, Newton, Kaep... only Wilson is spared but wait until if he gets the big bucks and doesn't win another SB.

If E.J. can mesh with Sammy just like he has with Woods... its going to be a good year.

If the D can stop the run it's gonna be a playoff year.

This is SOOOOOO much more important than any improvements EJ needs. If the defense is anything like last year, this team would go 6-10 even if Peyton Manning was our starter, Drew Brees was the backup and Tom Brady was the emergency QB. The defense is the key. They have been THE reason the Bills have sucked; including the Fitz years.