What if EJ Is Really Good and Stays Healthy?

Gugny

For anyone who listens to the Around the League podcast, they hate for EJ is...just...RIDICULOUS.

Bothers me.

I'm really hoping he can silence the (unsubstantiated) critics.

Since when did an injury-riddled rookie campaign become all we need to see?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone who listens to the Around the League podcast, they hate for EJ is...just...RIDICULOUS.

Bothers me.

I'm really hoping he can silence the (unsubstantiated) critics.

Since when did an injury-riddled rookie campaign become all we need to see?

I don't listen but why anyone would hate on a rookie, much less one playing QB, is flat out stupid to me. How many guys have been called out after the rookie years who have gone onto great careers? Problem is the media doesn't get called out like they should. I'd love to see what people wrote about guys like Aikman, Elway, Brees, etc. after their rookie years.

I'm starting the call out the media website. Who's with me?

I don't listen but why anyone would hate on a rookie, much less one playing QB, is flat out stupid to me. How many guys have been called out after the rookie years who have gone onto great careers? Problem is the media doesn't get called out like they should. I'd love to see what people wrote about guys like Aikman, Elway, Brees, etc. after their rookie years.

I'm starting the call out the media website. Who's with me?

We should call it Deadspin! Wait...AWFUL ANNOUNCING!

Seriously though, I like listening to these guys, but when they say EJ will "never be as good as Ryan Tannehill" and immediately dismiss the Bills as a Super Bowl contender because of quarterback (fine), but then say the Jets have a legitimate shot, I have to wonder wtf it is the rest of us are missing.

Seriously though, I like listening to these guys, but when they say EJ will "never be as good as Ryan Tannehill" and immediately dismiss the Bills as a Super Bowl contender because of quarterback (fine), but then say the Jets have a legitimate shot, I have to wonder wtf it is the rest of us are missing.

They said that? Do they realize in 5 less games, EJ threw 1 less td, better td to int ratio, and QB rating than RT did as rookie righT?

The media overrates Mike Vick. That's what we're missing. Anytime Vick goes to a squad, they scream playoffs, when it's really like 4-3 as a starter, then injured.

And realistic, too. Don't forget realistic. It goes well with jolly. Indeed, jolly is required when being a realistic poster. Helps not to get mired in an intractable negative position.

GO BILLS!!!

After I google "intractable," we'll finish this conversation.

They said that? Do they realize in 5 less games, EJ threw 1 less td, better td to int ratio, and QB rating than RT did as rookie righT?

I mean, again, I understand not having total confidence in EJ. IMO, he's done nothing to earn that. But, by the same token, he hasn't done anything to warrant him being completely written off. For me, the Tannehill comparison was just terrible. I'd be shocked if EJ--in his entire pro career--EVER has a game as terrible as Tannehill had in Buffalo in week 16 last year: 10-27 for 82 yards, sacked 7 times.

This one week after what is arguably his BEST game in his career in a win over New England (with good, but not great numbers): 25-37 for 312 yards 3TD 0INT.

Best of all, he's never even gone head to head with EJ. But he has managed to lose to Thad Lewis...twice.

The media overrates Mike Vick. That's what we're missing. Anytime Vick goes to a squad, they scream playoffs, when it's really like 4-3 as a starter, then injured.

Agreed. And the ATL podcast talks about Vick starting at least four games for NYJ as if it's a foregone conclusion (though it probably is). I just don't understand how guys who watch and analyze football year round and still have so much faith in Vick's abilities.

Agreed. And the ATL podcast talks about Vick starting at least four games for NYJ as if it's a foregone conclusion (though it probably is). I just don't understand how guys who watch and analyze football highlights year round and still have so much faith in Vick's abilities.

FTFY.

Edited by FireChan

I mean, again, I understand not having total confidence in EJ. IMO, he's done nothing to earn that. But, by the same token, he hasn't done anything to warrant him being completely written off. For me, the Tannehill comparison was just terrible. I'd be shocked if EJ--in his entire pro career--EVER has a game as terrible as Tannehill had in Buffalo in week 16 last year: 10-27 for 82 yards, sacked 7 times.

This one week after what is arguably his BEST game in his career in a win over New England (with good, but not great numbers): 25-37 for 312 yards 3TD 0INT.

Best of all, he's never even gone head to head with EJ. But he has managed to lose to Thad Lewis...twice.

Did you watch that NE game though? I like Tanny (not as much as some) but he dominated that game. He really did.

As one of those who's predicted Manuel's failure, I'll say this: I've been wrong before. Being wrong one additional time isn't likely to change how others see me. Nor would it change how I see myself.

But I'll also say this: in the past when I've been wrong, it's almost always been because things turned out worse than expected. Never or almost never because they turned out better than I thought they would.

I'm much more likely to be right about Manuel than I am to be wrong about him. But if I am wrong, I'll admit it like a man.

That's only because you're a Bills' fan....

I truly believe that the Bills have a top 5-10 roster in the NFL excluding the QB position. It's all on EJ. I know it's redundant to say on this board but it really cannot be overstated. I mean geez, we have 4 top 100 players as voted on by other NFL players on our defense, a top linebacking unit according to one site and a top flight RB group according to anyone and everyone. I believe very strongly that our DB's are gonna be great, we have freaking Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Mike Williams as our 1-2-3 and a young offensive line with a s***load of upside.

Then we will finally be happy Bills fans for the first time in a long time. I don't think there are too many fans out there that don't like good news. Like last year when Kiko turned out to be a unexpected gem. The board embraced his success.

Edited by simpleman

There will be much gnashing of teeth and many 'excuses' why he was good and lots of talk about how teams will be ready for him next year.

Agreed.

The biggest excuse will be just like the year we went to the playoffs with Flutie at QB: "It wasn't the QB, it was the defense that got us to the playoffs."

It would sure be nice to see EJ hit that FQB level. I think you'd see a lot of people downplaying some of the things they said about him and some others would bring up some of the things said about him. But ultimately the salve off wins and expectations of playoffs would make this place a love fest overall.

Really good play from EJ? If he does we will be pushing high into the playoffs, possibly SB if other things come together.

The board will implode.

I've been thinking about this lately. It has been so long since the Bills have been good that I have no idea how I(or my fellow Bills fans) will react. I think that I might go into 6 months of stunned disbelief if we not only win a playoff game but look good doing it.