Where is the Buffalo Fan Alliance?

Don't get me wrong, I heartily applaud the BFA founders for their efforts to develop their financing concepts and build their Board of Directors with new Hall of Famers. But am I the only one who is surprised at the low profile being kept by the BFA at this critical point in time?

Should they not be actively soliciting contributions, or are they quietly working in the shadows with prospective ownership groups? Have they tried pursuing these discussions and discovered that anyone known to have contact with this group would be perceived as a financial lightweight and therefore have a strike (or 2 or 3) against them?

I can say that months ago I emailed the BFA to ask whether contributions would be tax deductible, and never even got a reply.

If the BFA's financial contributions have been determined to be meaningless in the sale process, would it be helpful for them to at least put out an online petition of some kind to give voice to how Bills fans would react over the next several years to a sale to an out-of-town buyer? I'm not a fan of online polls but would an expression of Bills fans' reactions to such a sale, in advance, have a psychological or even deterrent effect on the workings of either the trust or the league, or even potential bidders?

Sorry for all the questions, I just find the speculation fascinating.

Not knowing the ins and outs of the group, I don't know if they were ready for prime time. They were still growing and getting their ducks in a row when Ralph passed. I think if it happened a couple of years later they would have been in a better position to help

Don't get me wrong, I heartily applaud the BFA founders for their efforts to develop their financing concepts and build their Board of Directors with new Hall of Famers. But am I the only one who is surprised at the low profile being kept by the BFA at this critical point in time?

Should they not be actively soliciting contributions, or are they quietly working in the shadows with prospective ownership groups? Have they tried pursuing these discussions and discovered that anyone known to have contact with this group would be perceived as a financial lightweight and therefore have a strike (or 2 or 3) against them?

I can say that months ago I emailed the BFA to ask whether contributions would be tax deductible, and never even got a reply.

If the BFA's financial contributions have been determined to be meaningless in the sale process, would it be helpful for them to at least put out an online petition of some kind to give voice to how Bills fans would react over the next several years to a sale to an out-of-town buyer? I'm not a fan of online polls but would an expression of Bills fans' reactions to such a sale, in advance, have a psychological or even deterrent effect on the workings of either the trust or the league, or even potential bidders?

Sorry for all the questions, I just find the speculation fascinating.

I have no idea where to look for current goings ons. Good question .

eball did not get elected, so he's off somewhere plotting his political comeback, a la Richard Nixon.

The BFA got some decently big names involved on their advisory committee, Andre Reed, Steve Christie, among others, IIRC. Seeing as how they're a nonprofit, and my familiarity with that world, hopefully they're currently working on a mission statement and a feasibility study if they really want to raise money.

I was thinking about the same thing the other day. I'm guessing its one of two things. They either got some info that the Bills are safe and there is no real need to draw attention right now, or as someone else said they just don't have their ducks in a row. I guess in a way I'd be more concerned if they were making a bunch of noise to try and get more grassroots type support.

I was thinking about the same thing the other day. I'm guessing its one of two things. They either got some info that the Bills are safe and there is no real need to draw attention right now, or as someone else said they just don't have their ducks in a row. I guess in a way I'd be more concerned if they were making a bunch of noise to try and get more grassroots type support.

Matt Sabuda the Director of BFA was on with Sal C. on Sports Talk Saturday about a month ago. He mentioned he had met with two possible ownership groups who like to keep the team in WNY. He was probably told the team is safe and that their assistance would not be necessary with the purchase of the team. They could be waiting until the purchase is complete to start raising funds to contribute to a new stadium, perhaps to defray some of the costs of PSLs?

BTW the two new members of the board of directors are Celeste Albone and Brian Smith.

Matt Sabuda the Director of BFA was on with Sal C. on Sports Talk Saturday about a month ago. He mentioned he had met with two possible ownership groups who like to keep the team in WNY. He was probably told the team is safe and that their assistance would not be necessary with the purchase of the team. They could be waiting until the purchase is complete to start raising funds to contribute to a new stadium, perhaps to defray some of the costs of PSLs?

BTW the two new members of the board of directors are Celeste Albone and Brian Smith.

Great info Brawndo, thanks.

It looks like they pulled their content out of their web pages. Very strange ... very strange indeed.

Hmmm now that is interesting. Something's clearly afoot. To me this group out of the gate had the appearance of a thoughtful, substantive group and the fact that they're maintaining a low profile at this juncture must be for a clear strategic purpose.

eball did not get elected, so he's off somewhere plotting his political comeback, a la Richard Nixon.

The BFA got some decently big names involved on their advisory committee, Andre Reed, Steve Christie, among others, IIRC. Seeing as how they're a nonprofit, and my familiarity with that world, hopefully they're currently working on a mission statement and a feasibility study if they really want to raise money.

shhh, don't give away my strategy.

Truth is, I don't know much of anything about what they're doing, but if I hear anything I'll be happy to share.

I wonder if they were shut down legally...

If that were the case you would think they would have a page saying so. Curious as to why they would be shut down. I didn't think anything on there was private information.

If that were the case you would think they would have a page saying so. Curious as to why they would be shut down. I didn't think anything on there was private information.

The team or the league may have had the right to shut them down because they were raising money in connection with the team. It might also be the case given the sums they indicated they wanted to raise that a tax or some sort of legal entity status has to be set up.

I reached out to Del Reid (co-founder of #BillsMafia and Buffalo Fan Alliance) to share the concerns expressed in this thread.

His reply was succinct: "I assure you, we've not been shut down and are still very much moving forward with everything we've shared over the past few months."

I think its a good sign.

If they were forced to shut down due to something negative, Im sure the founders would be screaming from treetops.

Taking down the page and going silent IMO indicates they may be in the good graces of a serious bidder (Pegula) and the whole thing will be rebranded a bit more professionally with a new direction upon purchase.

From Monday's Buffalo News: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/06/23/buffalo-fan-alliance-appoints-two-fans-advisory-board/

The search for two fans to take at-large spots on the board began with fans making written submissions to be considered. Then 10 fan finalists were chosen. Fan voting produced the two choices. The board will guide the group as it finalizes a fundraising mechanism for fans to help keep the team in Buffalo.

As I suspected, they're just finalizing things behind the scenes.

I reached out to Del Reid (co-founder of #BillsMafia and Buffalo Fan Alliance) to share the concerns expressed in this thread.

His reply was succinct: "I assure you, we've not been shut down and are still very much moving forward with everything we've shared over the past few months."

This is good to know but given how quickly the Wilson family is moving forward with the sale process it seems that time is of the essence.

This is good to know but given how quickly the Wilson family is moving forward with the sale process it seems that time is of the essence.

I don't have inside info, but my gut tells me they are working behind the scenes on some things and, given the sensitive nature of discussions they may be involved in, have intentionally kept a low profile.

I do agree it would be nice to see some evidence that things are moving forward. Methinks we'll hear (a lot) more from BFA in the coming months.

It doesnt make sense at this point to just raise money with a hope and a prayer. Not enough time.

It has to be in conjunction with new (local) ownership and will likely be re-branded alongside of the team. Team would probably offer perks and an official "certificate" and help finance a new stadium or long-term improvements at RWS.

It's confusing because the team will have already have been purchased by the time that they can raise enough money.

Now that a new stadium may or may not happen vs an upgrade of the Ralph, I'm not sure that the money is even needed?

What owner would want to take the money after the purchase is complete. I can't see a bid stating will give you a portion of the sale price after the BFA raises the money.

It's confusing because the team will have already have been purchased by the time that they can raise enough money.

Now that a new stadium may or may not happen vs an upgrade of the Ralph, I'm not sure that the money is even needed?

What owner would want to take the money after the purchase is complete. I can't see a bid stating will give you a portion of the sale price after the BFA raises the money.

Maybe a new owner sees this as a great community outreach type of opportunity and a creative way to get some grassroots funding for a new stadium or reno. Maybe they will come out with initiatives... like raise X amount of money and we will buy a new scoreboard/video screen for the concourse/bar area....

Not sure if this will help anything...but John Murphy had Craig Hendenberg (sp?), a member of the BFA on, as a guest, back on June 17th. They have met 3 times, according to Hendenberg. What is the difference between the Bills Fan Advisory and Bills Fan Alliance.

Here is a link...his interview starts at about the 1:05 mark

http://www.buffalobi...de-48ae2e7b76cc

Edited by Buftex

I would just hate to see well intentioned Bills fans get fleeced. Kickstarter groups are generally out to fund development of a product of some kind. The BFA has no hope at this stage of the game of doing anything productive regarding new ownership. I just hope that if they do end up soliciting donations that they are responsible enough to make it abundantly clear and truthful as to what they intend to do with the money.

I would just hate to see well intentioned Bills fans get fleeced. Kickstarter groups are generally out to fund development of a product of some kind. The BFA has no hope at this stage of the game of doing anything productive regarding new ownership. I just hope that if they do end up soliciting donations that they are responsible enough to make it abundantly clear and truthful as to what they intend to do with the money.

Whether they ultimately make a difference or end up being nothing more than a good idea that wasn't needed, I have no doubt in my mind that BFA is above board.

But if you're not as comfortable with them as I am, it's not a problem - just don't donate any money (assuming they get that far).

Basically a re-branded method of PSL.

<snip>

Not really. See below.

You don't get season tickets like you do with a PSL?

PSLs don't "give" the investor season tickets, they only give the license holder the right to buy season tickets.

If a financial, health, or other crisis puts the fan in a bind that season and he cannot buy the season tickets, he will likely lose his seat license - and the money invested to acquire the PSL.

With BFA, the money is pooled together to provide a low interest loan and money invested into BFA is paid back to the fans.

To me that makes PSLs and BFA two entirely separate animals.

Edited by Campy

I think it would be tied closer to the team and work as kind of an operational Donation/Fundraiser.

just shooting from the hip:

Everyone gets a commemorative stadium founder's certificate

$100 gets you a brick on the walkway to the main gate (goal 1,000) = $100K

$200 gets you an autographed football from a Bills great (goal 1,000) = $200K

The first 20 people who donate $2,500 get an exclusive dinner with Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas and a brick and a football $50K

First 30 people who donate $6,000 get suite tickets to a Bills game and will share a suite with Thomas, Reed, Pegula, Talley, and Bruce and a brick and a football $180K

First 5,000 people who donate $200 get first crack at purchasing tickets to the inaugural game. = $1,000,000

10 people who donate $10K will be on the sideline for a game. = $100,000

you name it, there are countless things that could raise a hell of a lot of funds... AND provide fans with some satisfaction for their $. Heck, they could even re-print those old 90s posters like Kellys Heroes and Demolition Blue and sell them off at like $25 a pop. Seats in the Bills' draft war-room, all access Training Camp passes, a full season Press Credential and blog... you name it.

To me, the BFA's goals and main benefit was going to be largely symbolic. At this point their original vision is not as functional, especially with Pegula. With a face like Pegula's there I dont think the public will be lining up to donate interest-free loans to him without getting anything in return.... The team wont be in peril any longer, the participation would be minimal IMO.

Edited by May Day 10

From Monday's Buffalo News: http://bills.buffalo...advisory-board/

As I suspected, they're just finalizing things behind the scenes.

I do not understand removing any content from the page ... or I should say all content, that is just bizarre. If you just left what was there or removed specific information that would be less suspicious I would think. no?

BFA is a great initiative, and hopefully it has a voice at some level, but this is big boy business now and the rules of big boy business will apply here. Cuomo hinting that the state won't fund a new stadium is not helping the cause of getting a stay at home bid approved by the owners. I believe it will be difficult to get the other owners to approve a any buyer , home or away, who won't be moving the team to a new stadium

Cuomo's counting the votes.... will be very interesting to see how he plays his cards

Edited by 8and8Forever

I was reading this at work today and was surprised indeed. There certainly are some gentle folks here who are in tune with the subject .

Thanks for the enlightment. I think this is a good subject to stay abreast of honestly .

Cuomo may have tried to stradle the fence the way i read his quote. Not sure what to make of that statement Billnutin Houston and eight&eight ?

• 3 weeks later...