Former Jills suing the Bills

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't? Really?

Fireman Ed should sue the Jets. He was their #1 cheerleader for years and never got a dime.

A very public face of a very rich franchise in a very rich sport? It's bull ****.

Fireman Ed was just a fan the cameras zoomed in on at every game, no? The cheerleaders are actually employed by the team.

Very true.

I don't understand how they can be paid so little.

In reality, the only time they are being paid to perform is on game day. Adjust for length of game and some time before and after would be around 5-6 hours of work. If they made 50 bucks for a game it would be anywhere from 8-10 dollars per hour. Get paid slightly more than minimum wage and who knows what perks they get isn't bad for a few hours of work. Also most of these cheerleaders do this as a second job anyways.

Edited by The Wiz

In reality, the only time they are being paid to perform is on game day. Adjust for length of game and some time before and after would be around 5-6 hours of work. If they made 50 bucks for a game it would be anywhere from 8-10 dollars per hour. Get paid slightly more than minimum wage and who knows what perks they get isn't bad for a few hours of work. Also most of these cheerleaders do this as a second job anyways.

They don't get paid for all the promo work they do as well?

They don't get paid for all the promo work they do as well?

One can assume yes, but not all the Jills are always present for that. Most of the time it will be 2-3 Jills that show up for an event. Which is where I assume the "experienced" cheerleaders make 1,000 - 1,500 in a month like the article I linked stated.

A very public face of a very rich franchise in a very rich sport? It's bull ****.

Fireman Ed was just a fan the cameras zoomed in on at every game, no? The cheerleaders are actually employed by the team.

Public face of the franchise? How many NFL cheerleaders can you name? How many would you recognize on the street?

Also, I highly doubt your claim that they are employees. They are almost certainly independent contractors (who freely entered into an agreement to dance for the specified amount of money).

The suggestion above nailed it; just get rid of them. They add no value.

this is all driven by Plaintiff's attorney's looking to cash in on the recent cheerleader (and even stripper) underpayment lawsuits. If successful, the attorney's will get the $$, the Jills, almost nothing.

I agree, just get rid of the cheerleaders. It's not college. I'd rather watch something else during halftime anyway. (perhaps highlights of out of town games on the jumbotron?)

Public face of the franchise? How many NFL cheerleaders can you name? How many would you recognize on the street?

Also, I highly doubt your claim that they are employees. They are almost certainly independent contractors (who freely entered into an agreement to dance for the specified amount of money).

The suggestion above nailed it; just get rid of them. They add no value.

I would agree that they are likely independent contractors.

My gf was a dancer in the NBA and they were paid well. She got $25 per practice & $50 per game (I think) but also $35 per hour for each appearance. She would do about 10 hours a week in appearances in season and about 20 hours a week in the offseason. In addition she spent a week-10 days in Barcelona and Berlin for preseason games.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Wow, lotta progressive thinking in this thread. I guess it's always 1958 somewhere.

Please, enlighten us with your "progressive" view that you will probably try to impose on everyone else. Otherwise, we're labeled as bigots, is that right?

Several of them get a shot to be on team calendars and league calendars and other promotional items. I've seen some out at the Pro Bowl. I mean the pay does stink but there are some perks if that is your thing.

Back in '88, I was serving as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army on the DMZ in Korea. Although I was an armor officer, I was for some reason tasked with working out the logistics for a visit by the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders - including helicopter rides to soldiers in the field. Their accommodations were far from first-class but the ladies never exhibited anything less than good cheer.

My own soldiers were salivating over their arrival. When the Dallas cheerleaders showed up at our company toured the end of their visit, one of soldier's looked stunned and blurted out "Sally????" Turned out one of the cheerleaders was a high school friend & classmate of his.

Since then, I can never say anything bad about cheerleaders.

I feel like their most important function is community relations, and that responsibility can probably be filled in some other way.

I'm not sure I understand how they have a case though. Is this really meant to be a career? Am I missing a big point in the argument other than "the team has the money to pay them, so they should?"