Thad was more impressive than I thought last year

No one said this. What's wrong with you?

Jay Cutler missed like 5 games and Josh McCown came in and dominated. It was the biggest story of the year. Orton started a do-or-die game for the 'Boys. It happens.

In any given year, you can find 20+ games where the backup QB doesn't see the field in any meaningful game situation. That's EXACTLY what I hope happens here with Buffalo. Lewis is a glorified back up and nothing more. C.Bisquit is right. When you trash one and pimp out another, you can't be more transparent. You're wrong, but at least you're transparent.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In any given year, you can find 20+ games where the backup QB doesn't see the field in any meaningful game situation. That's EXACTLY what I hope happens here with Buffalo. Lewis is a glorified back up and nothing more. C.Bisquit is right. When you trash one and pimp out another, you can't be more transparent. You're wrong, but at least you're transparent.

You don't even know me bro.

Thaddeus played pretty well in a backup role with no TC or mini camps for the Bills. I expect him to play better this year. He and EJ were about even in overall effectiveness. Same winning %. Thaddeus kindof got the short straw on competition though. Tough losses to Patsies and Bungles where he actually played pretty well but the D layed an egg. And a whippin' by the Saints I think it was. 3 playoff teams.

And, he beat the Fish twice. Any Bills QB that beats the fish twice is OK in my book.

As far as taking care of the football goes, ALL of our QBs need to work on that this off season.

I don't want Thad to start over Manuel...but I think people were pretty harsh in their criticism of him last season.. I think he did a credible job as a backup, particularly considering he had no training camp with the Bills, and was just barely a "vet" backup himself. He does need to work on the fumbling thing, but the guy had a knack for making some plays.

I would say that the idea of wanting a starter should be evaluated on who gets results. If Thad gets better results than EJ, ultimately meaning getting the offense to move the ball, score points and compile wins as a team he should start. All of that is a "duh" to say but exceptionally hard in reality to judge and bring to fruition.

EJ likely gets a little benefit of the doubt going into the season as he is the declared starter but the harder Thad or anyone else can push him to take that job away all the better for the team.

I would say that the idea of wanting a starter should be evaluated on who gets results. If Thad gets better results than EJ, ultimately meaning getting the offense to move the ball, score points and compile wins as a team he should start. All of that is a "duh" to say but exceptionally hard in reality to judge and bring to fruition.

EJ likely gets a little benefit of the doubt going into the season as he is the declared starter but the harder Thad or anyone else can push him to take that job away all the better for the team.

This is true Coaching wise, but we fans are separate and tend to look towards the benches when we see something we don't like, which isn't horrible, but it's a terrible trend in Buffalo the next guy in line is always "the" guy. God help them if they don't pass the first "eye" test.

I like Thad as the backup. Although training camp reports have Tuel pushing him. Which is good because as we saw last year, sometimes you need all of your QB's. (hopefully our new O-line stops that from happening).

Also, anyone know how Dennis Dixon has looked? He was decent in spot backup roles while in Pittsburgh. Seems to have all the tools, but just never put them together.

Edited by RyanC883

I don't think it's rare at all for QB's to not get dinged up. Heck, if you look at the guys that started for most teams in the NFL, you would see QB's that played from the preseason through the playoffs (to the degree applicable). We didn't see Brock Osweiler coming in for Peyton Manning or Jordan Palmer taking snaps for Jay Cutler. What we need is for our starter to stay healthy and on the field, and not to assume that this year will look like last.

NO another QB was taking snaps for Cutler. Josh McCown

I don't think it's rare at all for QB's to not get dinged up. Heck, if you look at the guys that started for most teams in the NFL,

It seems a lot of QBs DO get banged up every year. However, it seems that the playoff teams keep their starter upright throughout the year.

Playoff QBs I can think of off the top of my head who made it through 2013 unscathed:

Russell Wilson

Peyton Manning

Andrew "Suck For" Luck

Drew Brees

Tom Brady

Phillip Rivers

Dalton

Colin Kaepernick

Cam Newton

Edited by reddogblitz

People used to want Frank Reich to start over Jim Kelly, too...

God bless his soul, but I think that's because Kelly used to throw up some real stinkers every now and again (imagine that!). Sure, he was a HOF QB, but he was also sounded by a HOF o-line, HOF WRs, HOF RB, and a consistent top-5 defense. Even EJ would've shined on those teams.

I usually don't even post, but we have different opinions. First up the offensive line was very good, but they got dominated every super bowl, that's where the bills lost the super bowls on the line of scrimmage. The defense in my opinion was also very good, with alot of big names on it, but i doubt they were even a top ten defense in points against, or yardage during the super bowl years. With guys' like Jeff Wright and Leon Seals on the line they got pushed all around in the super bowls. The Bill's offense was a top five offense in the super bowl years, maybe even the best offense in the league in a few of those years, if the defense was also top five it's truly a travesty that a super bowl was never won, i kinda doubt a team has ever had a top 5 defense and offense in the same year, but stranger things could happen. Don't mean to call out your post, but our opinions vary so much, and your not giving Kelly the credit he deserves!

Thad Lewis is an above average NFL backup quarterback. No doubt about it. I think with this roster we could go 7-9, 8-8 with him starting 16 games. The idea is that we could be better than that if Manuel takes a step forward. We could be worse though. I guess we'll see. Not sure what else needs to be said on the topic.

As I recall, the coaches were especially impressed with how well Thad knew the playbook, and system when EJ became injured. Thad had clearly done his homework and was ready when he stepped on the field. He had only been signed towards the end of preseason, as I recall. I don't believe he had played during preseason, at all.

Agreed

Thad Lewis is an above average NFL backup quarterback. No doubt about it. I think with this roster we could go 7-9, 8-8 with him starting 16 games. The idea is that we could be better than that if Manuel takes a step forward. We could be worse though. I guess we'll see. Not sure what else needs to be said on the topic.

I guess the question is: what makes a good backup QB? To me, "not making negative plays" is up there as the top criterion.

In 6 games last year, Thad had 3 picks, 7 fumbles, and 18 sacks. He needs to do better. Maybe he will with more experience and time in the system.

I guess the question is: what makes a good backup QB? To me, "not making negative plays" is up there as the top criterion.

In 6 games last year, Thad had 3 picks, 7 fumbles, and 18 sacks. He needs to do better. Maybe he will with more experience and time in the system.

3 picks over 6 games equates to 8 in a full season, which would be outstanding for any QB in the league. Both our QB's need to work on not getting sacked as much. It was my biggest issue with EJ last year- being too tentative and not understanding that at the NFL level, players are not going to be streaking down the sideline wide open like at Florida State.

The fumbles are the thing that he has to work on...18 sacks (3 per game) and 1 pick every two games, I can live with. The line was pretty dreadful at times last year... keep in mind too, not saying much, but those 7 fumbles were not all lost.

Maybe you are right, but just as I think people here have been too quick to throw Lewis in the scrap heap, they have done it with Manuel too. I realize the concerns about EJ, and some are legit, but you would think, from the overreaction of fans here, Manuel was complete garbage...I just don't think that is the case...he has more (cliche coming) "upside" than Lewis, and the position he was drafted in makes it, in my opinion anyways, imperative that they give Manuel another season to work through things....half a season at the very least, before they start playing musical chairs with QB's.

The fumbles are the thing that he has to work on...18 sacks (3 per game) and 1 pick every two games, I can live with. The line was pretty dreadful at times last year... keep in mind too, not saying much, but those 7 fumbles were not all lost.

Maybe you are right, but just as I think people here have been too quick to throw Lewis in the scrap heap, they have done it with Manuel too. I realize the concerns about EJ, and some are legit, but you would think, from the overreaction of fans here, Manuel was complete garbage...I just don't think that is the case...he has more (cliche coming) "upside" than Lewis, and the position he was drafted in makes it, in my opinion anyways, imperative that they give Manuel another season to work through things....half a season at the very least, before they start playing musical chairs with QB's.

But what about the eye test?