Thad was more impressive than I thought last year

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thad deserved to have a good chance to make the roster. Guy played well considering he got thrown into the fire a lot. I still would have liked the team have brought in a veteran to compete for the backup spot. I really don't like seeing Tuel on the roster the guy is garbage.

He was continually viewed as a mediocre fill in (for a pretty mediocre starter). Yes, he's an asset of sorts and shouldn't be ignored as such.

He filled in after not being on the team for the off-season and being hurt after getting a couple of starts. He wasn't good but he was far from tragic which isn't a ringing endorsement but if you look at the circumstances surrounding his play it makes it look better in that context.

He filled in after not being on the team for the off-season and being hurt after getting a couple of starts. He wasn't good but he was far from tragic which isn't a ringing endorsement but if you look at the circumstances surrounding his play it makes it look better in that context.

I was mightily impressed with his work against the Bengals. Was a great first start that we nearly squeaked out despite a less-than-stellar showing from our defense. His record as a starter last year could have easily been over .500.

Big C, well said. Your back up is supposed to help you split games while in there is the conventional wisdom. Well, he went 2-3, amd took one of the better defenses in the NFL (Cincy), to overtime with absolutely no time to prepare. You have to also credit Hackett for creating a game plan to be competitive.

Thad had less than a week to prepare. Compare that to a guy like Freeman who had 11 days to prep which most thought was not enough time, and he looked horrible in MN.

Thad will be a quality back up, and no I'm not calling for him to start. Who knows? Maybe he could turn into our F. Reich.

Thad had a decent game on the road vs. the Saints. He didn't put up Star Wars numbers like Brees, but he also had to endure a painful rib shot on a (stupid play call) QB draw in the first drive.

His game in New England showed that he can throw some nice spirals in the saturating rain. And he was composed throughout. Kept making the throws in clutch situations. Put it right in TJ's chest on 4th down. Can't recall if he caught it or not.

The kid reminded me of Fitz when he made that throw and got clocked in the first Miami game. Other players gotta respect that kinda gritty.

He kind of reminded me of Fitz with all of the short-medium passes he missed by huge margins. He didn't remind me of Fitz with all of the terrible sacks and fumbles he took.

Thad is fine as a backup, and he was serviceable in that role last year. People who think he's ever going to be competing for a starting job are fooling themselves though.

Oh yeah, and as far as the numbers go, Rob Johnson had 3 straight years with a 100+ QB rating...It hardly tells the story.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

3 picks over 6 games equates to 8 in a full season, which would be outstanding for any QB in the league. Both our QB's need to work on not getting sacked as much. It was my biggest issue with EJ last year- being too tentative and not understanding that at the NFL level, players are not going to be streaking down the sideline wide open like at Florida State.

Agreed re the sacks. Thad's fumbles were a real issue though. It also didn't seem like a one-off thing; might be that he has small hands or something and this will always be an issue for him.

He kind of reminded me of Fitz with all of the short-medium passes he missed by huge margins. He didn't remind me of Fitz with all of the terrible sacks and fumbles he took.

Thad is fine as a backup, and he was serviceable in that role last year. People who think he's ever going to be competing for a starting job are fooling themselves though.

Oh yeah, and as far as the numbers go, Rob Johnson had 3 straight years with a 100+ QB rating...It hardly tells the story.

I generally agree with your post but the Rob Johnson stat might be the most flawed stat ever. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnRo00.htm He started 8 games in those 3 years!

Lewis is a solid backup. some people think you are supposed to have Peyton Manning as a backup. Lewis is about average as a NFL backup QB. At the same time, his upside isn't as high as EJ's. EJ missed half of his 1st training camp, Lewis was in his 3rd. But overall, I'm very happy with Lewis as a backup who can win a few games in a pinch. But nothing more.

I generally agree with your post but the Rob Johnson stat might be the most flawed stat ever. http://www.pro-footb.../J/JohnRo00.htm He started 8 games in those 3 years!

Lewis is a solid backup. some people think you are supposed to have Peyton Manning as a backup. Lewis is about average as a NFL backup QB. At the same time, his upside isn't as high as EJ's. EJ missed half of his 1st training camp, Lewis was in his 3rd. But overall, I'm very happy with Lewis as a backup who can win a few games in a pinch. But nothing more.

That's exactly my point, those stats don't tell the whole story. Also it relates very well to Thad Lewis, who played in 6 games.

That's exactly my point, those stats don't tell the whole story. Also it relates very well to Thad Lewis, who played in 6 games.

got you. But I did think Lewis was extremely impressive against NE. He outplayed Brady and even had some drops or would have had better numbers. But long term, he makes too many mistakes to be a long term option IMO.

Thad had a decent game on the road vs. the Saints. He didn't put up Star Wars numbers like Brees, but he also had to endure a painful rib shot on a (stupid play call) QB draw in the first drive.

His game in New England showed that he can throw some nice spirals in the saturating rain. And he was composed throughout. Kept making the throws in clutch situations. Put it right in TJ's chest on 4th down. Can't recall if he caught it or not.

I hope I'm not the only one who got a good laugh out of this post. Dan Dierdorf's suggestion that Drew Brees was putting up Star Wars numbers is my second favorite statement by an announcer after Steve Tasker's assertion that watching Fred Jackson is like watching someone pour a glass of water.