Who's our Darrel Talley?

I just read the article from Jerry Sullivan this morning on Kelly's speech to the team, and the competitive spirit in the old days. His point was simply playing for something more than themselves. He's right objectively that this team has accepted 6-10 for three years straight.

I really love a few players on this team as leaders like Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, and Fredex, but do we have a Talley now? He's my all time favorite Bill as he was such a leader on this team back in the day. He never took a play off ever.

I wish they could put a patch on everyone's jersey "Kelly Tough". I think even Goodell would possibly allow that as he doesn't want to look like he is opposing fighting cancer from one of the greats in the game.

So my question to all of you is not who is a good leader, but who is or can be our Talley of this group? Anyway, it's June and all of us have almost nothing to talk about for a month or so outside of who gets arrested for being a knucklehead.

Does it seem like to anyone else that the Bills for the last 15 year's or so have been looking for the next Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Shane Conman, Thurman etc?

Mario clearly is our Bruce wannabe, but he can't turn games like Bruce could. Remember when Bruce crushed Boomer, half the Stadium thought Bruce had killed him.

We've had so many Qb's since Kelly, I can't even list them all. JP Losman gunslinger, Rob Johnson, Billy Joel Hobert. The only one who came close to playing like Kelly was Flutie and then we don't play him in a playoff game.

Poz was going to be the 2nd coming of Conlan, they both were from small towns and went to Penn St. Poz never quite lived up to expectations.

Travis Henry, Antowain Smith, Darrick Homes,Marshawn Lynch all supposed to be the next Thurman, now Freddy and CJ. Sorry they all pale compared to Thurman.

Stop looking to repeat the past, build a team for the NFL today not the NFL 25 years ago.

Edited by oman128

Does it seem like to anyone else that the Bills for the last 15 year's or so have been looking for the next Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Shane Conman, Thurman etc?

Mario clearly is our Bruce wannabe, but he can't turn games like Bruce could. Remember when Bruce crushed Boomer, half the Stadium thought Bruce had killed him.

We've had so many Qb's since Kelly, I can't even list them all. JP Losman gunslinger, Rob Johnson, Billy Joel Hobert. The only one who came close to playing like Kelly was Flutie and then we don't play him in a playoff game.

Poz was going to be the 2nd coming of Conlan, they both were from small towns and went to Penn St. Poz never quite lived up to expectations.

Travis Henry, Antowain Smith, Darrick Homes,Marshawn Lynch all supposed to be the next Thurman, now Freddy and CJ. Sorry they all pale compared to Thurman.

Stop looking to repeat the past, build a team for the NFL today not the NFL 25 years ago.

Sorry, but looking for an elite pass rusher, an elite QB who can throw his way out of a deficit, and a reliable RB, isn't just "trying to repeat the past."

I'm not sure Spikes being the vocal leader is a good thing. Maybe, but if he were such a positive locker room presence he may not have been on the outs in NE. I understand sometimes it's good to have a guy with an aggressive attitude problem to influence more of a tough guy culture, which we've lacked, but I'm skeptical of his assumption of a leadership role being a good thing.

Is it just me? Or you are you the smartest man in the room, TU2T?

No, it's both of you. But don't let it go to your heads; DC Tom could drop in at anytime.

I like Spikes attitude, but his message is a little messed up. Here we are in the preseason and he comes out and guarantees a win against the Patriots. Why say something that's just going to be on their message boards pre-game? Motivate within the locker room and not via the media. Who's helping Dareus get his head straight from a player perspective? Offensively, it has to be EJ . He absolutely must be the leader on that side of the ball. Defensively, I think it can be pretty much anyone. The real question right now is who it will be.

I think we have a bunch of leaders on this team. There was just more talent on those 90's teams, so it's easier to say Talley was a better leader than K. Williams or FJax for example.

Also, as I recall, the 90's Bills were also referred to as "The Bickering Bills" because they often did not get along--and it seems they won in spite of that. Not sure it was the most cohesive team. You need a good HC in that situation, and Levy was the guy for that job, and I think Marrone will do well with the current group.

Off-season optimism!!!!

He's not quite there yet, but I think he takes a big step forward this year...and down the road could become that type of guy.

So, going against the popular opinion here...I'll say Nigel Bradham. (I could see Preston Brown filling that role, as well. But, if I have to pick someone RIGHT NOW...there is no doubt it is Brandon Spikes. We haven't had someone like him, probably since Talley...unless you want to count Fletcher and Takeo.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I think we have a bunch of leaders on this team. There was just more talent on those 90's teams, so it's easier to say Talley was a better leader than K. Williams or FJax for example.

Also, as I recall, the 90's Bills were also referred to as "The Bickering Bills" because they often did not get along--and it seems they won in spite of that. Not sure it was the most cohesive team. You need a good HC in that situation, and Levy was the guy for that job, and I think Marrone will do well with the current group.

Off-season optimism!!!!

They were only the Bickering Bills for one season, really. 1989.

Guys- thanks for the feedback. As to Spikes, I want him to be that guy, and he is highly motivated to succeed.

For those at least in their 40's or older, you should remember Talley. He was more of a leader than Bruce and the rest of the gang except for Kelly. He was a phenomenal role model for the team.

He always hAd the most tackles, and would hold both his defensive and offensive players accountable for their efforts. I loved that guy.

I just want to see someone emerge this year as the obvious leader on the team. It could be EJ, Fred, Kyle, and so on. No more accepting 6-10. We've heard a lot on how talented we are now. Well, it's time to put it together.

I appreciate the feedback, and am not criticizing the team. I just want to see more. I hope they p,ay for Kelly as much as themselves. He deserves that as our best player in 50 years.

Guys- thanks for the feedback. As to Spikes, I want him to be that guy, and he is highly motivated to succeed.

For those at least in their 40's or older, you should remember Talley. He was more of a leader than Bruce and the rest of the gang except for Kelly. He was a phenomenal role model for the team.

He always hAd the most tackles, and would hold both his defensive and offensive players accountable for their efforts. I loved that guy.

I just want to see someone emerge this year as the obvious leader on the team. It could be EJ, Fred, Kyle, and so on. No more accepting 6-10. We've heard a lot on how talented we are now. Well, it's time to put it together.

I appreciate the feedback, and am not criticizing the team. I just want to see more. I hope they p,ay for Kelly as much as themselves. He deserves that as our best player in 50 years.

Don't worry . The train is a chuggin' .

The winning culture has turned the bend . Whaley brought in guys that know winning . Whether collegiate or Pro coaches and players.

I think i like your attitude .

Oh its Spikes , have no doubt. my favorite guy to loathe when with "them " , has become the player i most expect to succeed and in fact dominate.

This year might be one of the best years for home games i bet .

He's not quite there yet, but I think he takes a big step forward this year...and down the road could become that type of guy.

So, going against the popular opinion here...I'll say Nigel Bradham. (I could see Preston Brown filling that role, as well. But, if I have to pick someone RIGHT NOW...there is no doubt it is Brandon Spikes. We haven't had someone like him, probably since Talley...unless you want to count Fletcher and Takeo.)

I like that you went against the conventional wisdom with Bradham. 9 out of 10 guys who rip on him couldn't tell you why they think he sucks. They remember one bad play they saw, or more often are just repeating what they heard someone else say.