Rotoworld: Mike Williams may get cut?

BUFFALO BILLS

There have predictably been positive vibes coming out of Buffalo on second-year QB E.J. Manuel, with coach Doug Marrone saying it's "like a light going off" in terms of the playbook. It's not the kind of coach speak worth buying into. Third-party reports say Manuel's offseason performance has been decidedly mixed, citing accuracy issues. First-round WR Sammy Watkins is a strong candidate to be overdrafted and No. 2 WR/slot man Robert Woods isn't on my sheet. There are whispers Mike Williams might not even make the team.

http://www.rotoworld...-ota-notes?pg=1

Who the heck has heard those whispers?

And ftr.....im buying Robert Woods stock. I think he and EJ have that connection. 70 catches this year easy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I suddenly have lost a great deal of respect for rotoworld...wait, I never had any.

As for the rumors, Rodak seems to honestly believe that a rehabbing Williams has less upside and talent than TJ Graham and Chris Hogan. I am not overstating that, he has said, almost word for word, that they are legitimate contenders to unseat a guy who, before last year,was putting up Stevie like numbers.

I have said in other threads in which Rodak's Bubble has been brought up where MW is concerned... I truly think he was just doing it for clicks. A few media sources like PFT and nfl.com picked it up and ran with it. MW's salary is fully guaranteed for this year. He has the most experience, consistently strong NFL production, and the only one on the WR corp who is a legit red zone threat and has the size and physicality to win contested catches. Watkins has these things but not he experience or the height. MW is listed at 6'2 but plays even bigger. The only reason he wasn't getting the number of snaps that camp hero Hogan was is because he is 70-80% recovered from hamstring surgery and still learning the playbook.... and also is not in the position where he even needs to earn a roster spot in OTAs. Here is Rodak's response to the backlash he got from his "report":

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/10636/bills-mailbag-pre-vacation-edition

IMO, Rodak's problem is that he is assuming MW needed to "stand out in OTAs" in order to beat out a Hogan or Graham for a roster spot. He either never watched him play at TB, or has no idea what kind of production this guy has in games that count and involve actual contact and pads, rather than routes vs. air and 5th string CBs in OTAs and somehow feels he is competing for a spot with guys who have never shown they are starting caliber.

The only thing that can keep MW off the team this season is if he screws up off the field.

Doug Marrone said EJ has improved..."it's like a light going off" ?????? Obviously, okay??

shouldnt it be "it's like a light going on” not off?

this isnt the first time ive read speculation mike williams might not make the team but thats all it is...i believe even he said the coaches held him back a little in OTA's and from what I understand he's salary is guaranteed for this season so he isnt going anywhere

"What concerned me about Williams' roster spot is that he isn't likely to contribute on special teams. Goodwin and Graham both offer upside as kick returners, while Hogan finished third on the team with nine special teams tackles last season."

Hogan has him concerned about taking Williams' roster spot because of 9 special teams tackles? Weak attempt at trying to sound smart Rodak.

Marquise Goodwin, I'll just say his name now. give him the damn ball!

Goodwin is a beast. I'm not sure what Graham has to offer this team.

How is he a beast. Often injured, didn't run good routes last year. Made a couple of plays deep, but overall he didn't do much.

People rag on TJ but he was open deep plenty of times and EJ just was not accurate enough. Tj is entering his 3rd year. I look forward to watching him in camp and preseason