254 lb Hughes at DE...really?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the best 4-3 DE's in football the last few years...

Robert Quinn - 6-4, 264

Osi Umenyiora - 6-3, 255

Demarcus Ware - 6-4, 258

Cameron Wake - 6-3, 258

Chandler Jones - 6-5,265

Willie Young - 6-4, 251

Chris Long - 6-3, 265

Rob Ninkovich - 6-2, 260

Kamerion Wimbley - 6-4, 258

Cliff Avril - 6-3, 260

Chris Clemons - 6-3, 254

For comparison, Shaun Phillips at 6-3, 255, made a flawless transition last year, at the same position. Jerry Hughes played the majority of his snaps last year, with his hand in the dirt. Manny Lawson was a bookend to Mario in college, he is a big guy with strength. There is nothing to worry about here, at all.

Can we end the thread now?

We should be able to now...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-pass-rusher-hughes-thriving-under-new-coordinator-20140620

Like many fans, I enjoy being optimistic during the off season. But I don't like to let my optimism get carried away as that only leads to disappointment and bitterness.

(I reserve my unrealistic optimism for my thoughts on women :doh:)

So Jerry Hughes at 254 lbs, is the proper size to play as a situational pass rushing LB, and the Bills only want to play him at DE. In college that can work because of the smaller lines but rarely in the pros.

Comments?

He is playing exactly the same position as he did last year.

Aaron Schobel played at about 245 lbs. - Bruce Smith, in his best years around 260

Was just just about to point this out......would anyone really be complaining if Aaron Schrobel was playing across from Mario WIlliams? Really?

THIS IS WHY we went out and got a monster MLB and moved Kiko to the outside.......and then backed it up with drafting Brown......

the DE's create pressure......the MLB's muck up the running game

+1 -- measurable matter when you haven't played a down in the NFL -- once you prove you are effective, size becomes a secondary consideration --- getting to QB is huge asset -- Bills will not use Hughes on running downs and will adjust defense to compensate for his lack of stoutness against run

Like many fans, I enjoy being optimistic during the off season. But I don't like to let my optimism get carried away as that only leads to disappointment and bitterness.

So Jerry Hughes at 254 lbs, is the proper size to play as a situational pass rushing LB, and the Bills only want to play him at DE. In college that can work because of the smaller lines but rarely in the pros.

Comments?

Yes, really.

I can't find the article anymore, but Rob Quinn wrote an article about the Wide 9 and how its principles might fit in with the Bills back when Schwartz was just hired. He cited a few examples of the people Schwartz had used effectively at DE while with the Lions and Titans (I can't remember exactly, but Hughes was around the lower end mentioned)

I'm not saying that he'll be an every down player. But the weakness of the Wide 9 is that you are spreading out your D-line, so you are more susceptible to the run. However, Mario Williams is already talented enough to get to the QB from the 5 technique without going extra wide, and typically plays where he doesn't line up against the TE unless you are in 2 TE formation. That allows you to tighten one end of the formation on the weakside, where Kiko will be in coverage (which people think will be a great fit for him). Now, the flip side is that you need better run stuffers on the strongside and middle...and we went out and got them. Brandon Spikes will likely be a 2 gap defender on most players, and Rivers has a reputation for being a hitter more than a coverage guy.

Is it perfect? No. Do I expect rotation? Of course. But you are putting a line of 4 players who combined for over 40 sacks.

I think that qualifies as a "really".

I think a lot of teams are looking at faster nimble guys at the end positions. This is kinda how the whole "nascar" formation that the giants and Seahawks have been making more and more popular the last few years. This formation usually has 4 ends lining up on the line instead of tackles. This allows for more of a speed rush, and also you can run a lot more stunts when you have a faster smaller guy on the end because he is usually looping around and covering more ground instead of just a bull rush. Whaley even commented on this speedy package a lot of teams are experimenting with when he was talking about the right O-tackle position needing to be fast. I'm not saying that Hughes or Lawson is the perfect fit for this type of scheme, but there size and speed could work out to be very beneficial.

I'm looking forward to leading the league in sacks this year & striking fear into every QB that faces us.

I am looking forward to the pressure and hurries , and then the incompletes and INT s.

Hughes will develop some more rounded skills. He is still young. Jim should make good use of him and Lawson

Edited by 3rdand12

I think a lot of teams are looking at faster nimble guys at the end positions. This is kinda how the whole "nascar" formation that the giants and Seahawks have been making more and more popular the last few years. This formation usually has 4 ends lining up on the line instead of tackles. This allows for more of a speed rush, and also you can run a lot more stunts when you have a faster smaller guy on the end because he is usually looping around and covering more ground instead of just a bull rush. Whaley even commented on this speedy package a lot of teams are experimenting with when he was talking about the right O-tackle position needing to be fast. I'm not saying that Hughes or Lawson is the perfect fit for this type of scheme, but there size and speed could work out to be very beneficial.

Seahawks drafted Bruce Irvin in the 1st round a couple years ago to be a situational pass rusher. Bills only gave up Kelvin Sheppard.

Some of the best 4-3 DE's in football the last few years...

Robert Quinn - 6-4, 264

Osi Umenyiora - 6-3, 255

Demarcus Ware - 6-4, 258

Cameron Wake - 6-3, 258

Chandler Jones - 6-5,265

Willie Young - 6-4, 251

Chris Long - 6-3, 265

Rob Ninkovich - 6-2, 260

Kamerion Wimbley - 6-4, 258

Cliff Avril - 6-3, 260

Chris Clemons - 6-3, 254

For comparison, Shaun Phillips at 6-3, 255, made a flawless transition last year, at the same position. Jerry Hughes played the majority of his snaps last year, with his hand in the dirt. Manny Lawson was a bookend to Mario in college, he is a big guy with strength. There is nothing to worry about here, at all.

We should be able to now...

http://www.buffalone...inator-20140620

Nice company to be in ! Last year he was a serious threat. No reason to think he wont be again.

Good post Bob , among others here

Comments?

How a player like Hughes is used is usually dictated by the situation - passing situations , it's a lot easier to get him involved - running situations, you might see someone else in there. I think the 4-3 v 3-4 discussion gets overdone a bit. Players line up all over and the coaches react to that particular game, situation , down...., and many players are capable of handling multiple responsibilities. I don't think we should worry about Hughes too much. Defense should be solid barring injuries. Schwartz is a good coach, he'll know best how to play this.

Nice company to be in ! Last year he was a serious threat. No reason to think he wont be again.

Good post Bob , among others here

Thanks, Uncle E! :-)

I just think it's absurd that people think he is "small," and won't be able to hold up...with his hand in the dirt, just like last year.

With players such as Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, Alan Branch, Brandon Spikes, Keith Rivers/Nigel Bradham and Kiko Alonso (all who are decent at stopping the run, in my opinion)...Jerry Hughes has ONE job, get to the Quarterback. That's all he has to do, and he does it well.

If for some reason he fails, I believe it will be due to the scheme and those around him, not because of Jerry Hughes himself.

(But, on the other hand...I wonder if we'd be better off trying to trade him to Cleveland, with the coach he's seen the most success with.)

Hughes sole job is putting pressure on the quarterback and that's what he does. He's proven he can do it, so I'm not sure why this team would ever consider moving on from him, particularly when he just came off a 10.0 sack season. Hardly shabby.

Hughes is our Von Miller, a player I was completely wrong about by thinking he was too small to be effective in the NFL. Both have proven they can get the job done regardless of whether you consider them 34 LBs or 43 DEs.

Edited by DrDareustein