254 lb Hughes at DE...really?

Like many fans, I enjoy being optimistic during the off season. But I don't like to let my optimism get carried away as that only leads to disappointment and bitterness.

(I reserve my unrealistic optimism for my thoughts on women :doh:)

So Jerry Hughes at 254 lbs, is the proper size to play as a situational pass rushing LB, and the Bills only want to play him at DE. In college that can work because of the smaller lines but rarely in the pros.

Comments?

Edited by Zen_Zone

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree. Too small. But he's probably not a good for for 4-3 OLB. He's at best a situational pass rusher IMO. Seriously we should trade him to the Browns for a draft pick.

On that note, I think Lawson is listed as lighter but he just looks so much larger than Hughes. Not sure how that's possible but just by the looks he towers over people. I think Lawson makes a better fit. But what do I know I'm no coach.

Think of him as a freeney, pure pass rusher, role. Picture Tampa 2 ends that are speed to the qb and that'll be close to what Schwartz asks of his ends. He blitzes less because he sends his Dline more aggressive in the pass rush and holds back the lbs a bit more to clean up behind them in the run game. Unlike the Tampa 2 undersized lbs to cover the pass he likes a little more beef in the group (ie spikes)

Lawson played at 240 last year. I agree, though, he always seems bigger than Hughes.

Nevertheless, Hughes was effective last year in a limited role, but one that is similar to this year's defense. Why get rid of something that's working well enough?

He's a 254 pound man that can get to the QB. Schwartz will figure out a way to use him. People overrate this 3-4 vs. 4-3 thing way too much. They're football players. The Ravens and Steelers draft football players regardless of whether they are a perfect fit for their respective schemes. Not to mention, they ran a 4-3 more often than not last year anyway. Non-issue I promise.

I think we need to trust Schwartz to figure out how to use these guys. If Schwartz ends up being like wanny and just sticking guys in and telling them to play, we are screwed, because our personnel at DE and LB doesn't fit ideally with a traditional 4-3.

I'll again reference the schemes schwartz has run.... Simply calling it a 43 only tells us a very small amount about the roles. Gregg Williams vs jim Schwartz in Tennessee was a stark contrast with the same 43 personnel and alignment, compared to a lovie smith Tampa 2 would again be a 3rd strongly contrasting variation. Truly Hughes isn't far from a prototype player for Schwartz, but that doesn't mean that he will for sure continue his success either as a one year wonder to date.

I'll again reference the schemes schwartz has run.... Simply calling it a 43 only tells us a very small amount about the roles. Gregg Williams vs jim Schwartz in Tennessee was a stark contrast with the same 43 personnel and alignment, compared to a lovie smith Tampa 2 would again be a 3rd strongly contrasting variation. Truly Hughes isn't far from a prototype player for Schwartz, but that doesn't mean that he will for sure continue his success either as a one year wonder to date.

Regardless of scheme, the fact is that mike Pettine struck me as the most creative coach we have had here in years re figuring out how to use his players. He took guys like Hughes and robey and put them in positions in which they excelled.

I have no idea if Schwartz is going to be as effective at doing that, and if he's not, then regardless of scheme, some guys that played well last year might not replicate the success.

He gets to the QB. That's all that matters

Exactly, I could care less what he weighs if he continues to get to the QB

If it wasn't an issue last year why is it an issue this year? His role won't change much from last year so I don't see what the issue is other then fans trying to find a problem that doesn't exist

Edited by Max997

Regardless of scheme, the fact is that mike Pettine struck me as the most creative coach we have had here in years re figuring out how to use his players. He took guys like Hughes and robey and put them in positions in which they excelled.

I have no idea if Schwartz is going to be as effective at doing that, and if he's not, then regardless of scheme, some guys that played well last year might not replicate the success.

Don't disagree with that point, as much as I was saying Hughes might not be the best example. Hughes, in theory, should be the type of player that Schwartz seeks out to fit that role. If he regresses I think it'll be more him than Schwartz for this specific players discussion.

Lawson played at 240 last year. I agree, though, he always seems bigger than Hughes.

Nevertheless, Hughes was effective last year in a limited role, but one that is similar to this year's defense. Why get rid of something that's working well enough?

Well, he is 6'5" and Hughes is 6'2". There is that.

This is much ado about nuttin'. Hughes had 46 total tackles and 10 sacks last year - twice as many as he had the previous 3 years with the Colts. Lawson had 4 sacks and 73 total tackles. I think they can both be productive for The Bills.

Robert Mathis is listed at 6'2 242 and made 4 pro bowls as a DE/pass rusher before moving to OLB with Pagano's scheme. I think they are similar players. Mathis's sack production went up as a OLB, but he was very effective before that as well in the straight 4-3 system he was in under Coyer.

He gets to the QB. That's all that matters

Question is, can he get to the RB?

Thought it was noteworthy that in the BN when they talked about Hughes, the writer made mention of the fact that during mini-camp pass rushers and WR's have an easier time with there being less contact.

Like many fans, I enjoy being optimistic during the off season. But I don't like to let my optimism get carried away as that only leads to disappointment and bitterness.

(I reserve my unrealistic optimism for my thoughts on women :doh:)

So Jerry Hughes at 254 lbs, is the proper size to play as a situational pass rushing LB, and the Bills only want to play him at DE. In college that can work because of the smaller lines but rarely in the pros.

Comments?

Aaron Schobel played at about 245 lbs. - Bruce Smith, in his best years around 260

Question is, can he get to the RB?

Thought it was noteworthy that in the BN when they talked about Hughes, the writer made mention of the fact that during mini-camp pass rushers and WR's have an easier time with there being less contact.

Depending on the scheme schwartz is running, that question might be very low on the list.