Golisano to bid on Bills & propose new WS staduim

NFL draft picks pay off way earlier than NHL picks. I assume these #1 picks would have been 2008-2011.

We drafted 5 guys in the first round in those years. Myers, Ennis, Kassian, Pysyk, and Armia. Four more of those guys - with two of them still pretty much in Rochester, we're still in the same place.

Yes and no. The cream of the crop guys pay off sooner. With two picks in the first, and two picks in subsequent, it's easier to move up and acquire those guys. Would it have netted us a guy like Taveras, Stamkos, Seguin, Duchene... maybe, maybe not.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no. The cream of the crop guys pay off sooner. With two picks in the first, and two picks in subsequent, it's easier to move up and acquire those guys. Would it have netted us a guy like Taveras, Stamkos, Seguin, Duchene... maybe, maybe not.

That's true. But, these maybe, maybe not payoffs were still a few years into the future - and we had just won the President's Cup. That season was unlike any season for Sabres fever since the mid 70s, IMO.............And you're going to do a total rebuild right after it?

NFL draft picks pay off way earlier than NHL picks. I assume these #1 picks would have been 2008-2011.

We drafted 5 guys in the first round in those years. Myers, Ennis, Kassian, Pysyk, and Armia. Four more of those guys - with two of them still pretty much in Rochester, we're still in the same place.

It would not have been 4 years of consecutive picks. It is every other year.

That's true. But, these maybe, maybe not payoffs were still a few years into the future - and we had just won the President's Cup. That season was unlike any season for Sabres fever since the mid 70s, IMO.............And you're going to do a total rebuild right after it?

I don't know about total rebuild, but losing Drury and Briere -- if nothing else, very much the heart and soul of the team -- kind of pushed things in a direction that retaining Vanek at premium dollars was clearly not going to solve.

The object is the Cup. You do whatever you need to to get there, even if it means taking a step back to move forward. They tried doing it piecemeal for many years after finally having hit on some leadership that worked.

And I fully realize that we're engaging in hypotheticals here, but the timeline might not have been so tight if there had been available ammunition to acquire Stamkos. That kid was just about as close as you can get to an instant hit.

It would not have been 4 years of consecutive picks. It is every other year.

Now this I hadn't realized - very good information, and thanks for it.

That probably makes it even more unforgivable to not make this move, because you are really getting a much wider sample of the trade partner's up and down swings -- and a better chance at some lottery picks.

I don't know about total rebuild, but losing Drury and Briere -- if nothing else, very much the heart and soul of the team -- kind of pushed things in a direction that retaining Vanek at premium dollars was clearly not going to solve.

The object is the Cup. You do whatever you need to to get there, even if it means taking a step back to move forward. They tried doing it piecemeal for many years after finally having hit on some leadership that worked.

And I fully realize that we're engaging in hypotheticals here, but the timeline might not have been so tight if there had been available ammunition to acquire Stamkos. That kid was just about as close as you can get to an instant hit.

That probably makes it even more unforgivable to not make this move, because you are really getting a much wider sample of the trade partner's up and down swings -- and a better chance at some lottery picks.

I guess I would take the opposite view. To assume lottery picks 8 years down the line would have been a big gamble. The assumption would be Vanek would help the Oilers and they would likely build around him. It's a gamble, at the time I wanted to keep Vanek. Given a do over, sure, take the picks, but we don't have that luxury.

I guess I would take the opposite view. To assume lottery picks 8 years down the line would have been a big gamble. The assumption would be Vanek would help the Oilers and they would likely build around him. It's a gamble, at the time I wanted to keep Vanek. Given a do over, sure, take the picks, but we don't have that luxury.

Listen, I'm right there with you. At the time, I felt the same way.

It's easy to say now that Vanek is not a cornerstone player. Not so easy to say that seven years ago, although replacing what was lost at center has been an ongoing debacle since CD + DB departed, and I think that's something a team has to seriously confront when it happens. The best teams appear to have good foresight but also get really, really lucky at some point.

What?!? That's crazy to think it's even more unforgivable. The last pick wouldn't even be in the fold yet. In 2007, we're supposed to be excited about number one picks in 2008, 10, 12 and 14?

What?!? That's crazy to think it's even more unforgivable. The last pick wouldn't even be in the fold yet. In 2007, we're supposed to be excited about number one picks in 2008, 10, 12 and 14?

It's a question of what's going to set you up for more sustained success, and I think that the extra pick every couple of years is going to do that better than the four years consecutive - unless you intend to use them for wheeling and dealing.

It's just a difference of opinion, not crazy.

For some reason, this quote from Trump, in the Buffalo News article today, just struck me as funny...like somethign from the Onion.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen in Buffalo. If the price isn’t the right price, then I won’t get it, and I won’t be ashamed of it … But if I get it, I think I’ll probably do a good job.”'

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/trump-says-he-plans-to-make-a-bid-to-buy-the-bills-20140527?two-bills-drive

For some reason, this quote from Trump, in the Buffalo News article today, just struck me as funny...like somethign from the Onion.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen in Buffalo. If the price isn’t the right price, then I won’t get it, and I won’t be ashamed of it … But if I get it, I think I’ll probably do a good job.”'

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/trump-says-he-plans-to-make-a-bid-to-buy-the-bills-20140527?two-bills-drive

CYA strategy for Trump. Trump never loses. He walks away.