Pegula sells land for $1.75 Billion, Will Bid on Bills!

Because the stadium will be in Buffalo, and Delaware North is in Buffalo, and the Jacobs family has a longstanding good tradition in Buffalo, wouldn't the concession contract for Sportservice almost automatically go to them whether they were involved in building of the stadium or not?

No, it will go to the best deal. Depending on who owns the arena, private or public they look at different vendors. If Aramark will take 25%, Centerplate 30% & Sportservice 35% then Aramark will usually get the bid. Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it will go to the best deal. Depending on who owns the arena, private or public they look at different vendors. If Aramark will take 25%, Centerplate 30% & Sportservice 35% then Aramark will usually get the bid.

Thanks. Although, of course, both FNC and the Ralph use Sportservice. About a quarter of both the NFL and NHL use them. I suppose the FNC would be part of the Knox deal. was there any such arrangement with the Bills?

Thanks. Although, of course, both FNC and the Ralph use Sportservice. About a quarter of both the NFL and NHL use them. I suppose the FNC would be part of the Knox deal. was there any such arrangement with the Bills?

Absolutely!! The vendors "bid" on the facilities. This pretty much is the case with everything in the stadium (beer, soft drink, wine, cheese, liquor, pizza, TVs, etc...). If you want to do business with a pro team you need to be a sponsor of the team. The team will only take your business if you are reinvesting in the team. If the Bills need to buy 1,000 TVs for example they may get them at $200 a piece. If you want that $200,000 sale you will probably be required by the Bills (or whoever) to reinvest $100k (or whatever). It will either come as a partial trade or an actual cash investment. A team will never pay 100% cash for anything that they need (and I mean anything). The executives golf rounds come in trade. It is just something to keep in mind with the new stadium on the horizon. Edited by Kirby Jackson

IMO - Pegula bidding as sole owner + Jacobs as stadium initiator signals checkmate to any other potential bidders/groups. They have a combined net worth of almost 7 bill., Buffalo connection, local power, and already own professional sports franchises.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Because the stadium will be in Buffalo, and Delaware North is in Buffalo, and the Jacobs family has a longstanding good tradition in Buffalo, wouldn't the concession contract for Sportservice almost automatically go to them whether they were involved in building of the stadium or not?

Not necessarily, that is at the discretion of the owner of the stadium, which is Erie County. They make the call. But, a wink and a nod along with a lengthy written contract would be considered the norm.

IMO - Pegula bidding as sole owner + Jacobs as stadium initiator signals checkmate to any other potential bidders/groups. They have a combined net worth of almost 7 bill., Buffalo connection, local power, and already own professional sports franchises.

Yes, it is a solid connection, but they won't be the only ones involved over all. There's additional infrastructure upgrades to traffic flows, development of parking around a stadium and various other projects that would be part and parcel of any situation like this if the stadium site is chosen closer to the population center of the region. And that is very possible.

Think of parties such as Benderson Developers, Paladino Construction and the local Union halls for skilled trades on the development side, and think longer term here, 5 to 10 years beyond the stadium construction, as these projects would come in smaller waves.

As I keep saying, there is a great deal more here than meets the eye.

Not necessarily, that is at the discretion of the owner of the stadium, which is Erie County. They make the call. But, a wink and a nod along with a lengthy written contract would be considered the norm.

Yes, it is a solid connection, but they won't be the only ones involved over all. There's additional infrastructure upgrades to traffic flows, development of parking around a stadium and various other projects that would be part and parcel of any situation like this if the stadium site is chosen closer to the population center of the region. And that is very possible.

Think of parties such as Benderson Developers, Paladino Construction and the local Union halls for skilled trades on the development side, and think longer term here, 5 to 10 years beyond the stadium construction, as these projects would come in smaller waves.

its still pretty much a slam dunk. If Pegula buys the team. An between him and Jacobs they completely find a new state of the art billion dollar stadium downtown on or near the waterfront, they then get the city, town, state to pony up the bucks to deal with the infrastructure. It's a win win for every party involved. Especially the state/ city of they don't have to split the bill for the new stadium.

its still pretty much a slam dunk. If Pegula buys the team. An between him and Jacobs they completely find a new state of the art billion dollar stadium downtown on or near the waterfront, they then get the city, town, state to pony up the bucks to deal with the infrastructure. It's a win win for every party involved. Especially the state/ city of they don't have to split the bill for the new stadium.

I can assure you of this much, the water front isn't even being considered. That much I do know.

Edit: And contrary to popular belief, minimizing infrastructure costs is pivotal, this isn't pre 08, money is tight at all levels of governments right now. Detroit and a few other situations combined with the loss of heavy revenue streams, even from Canadian shoppers in the region, is a very real situation. You aren't going to see the free spending that was done in the past. All of this comes into play, has been discussed to some level and isn't taken lightly in those conversations.

Edited by HopefulFuture

I can assure you of this much, the water front isn't even being considered. That much I do know.

how is it that you know again?

What IS being considered? What area? What town? What sites?

And that still doesn't negate the fact that Pegula and Javibs together pretty much ensure that it's a done deal if it works out that Pegs buys the team and Jacobs helps find a new stadium. The state would have zero cost at that point. Could spend all the money expected for that deal on infrastructure changes. Additional bridges being built. Etc.

Edited by mrags

No, Jacobs would not own it. There are certain guarantees made to parties that put up the capitol necessary. And there is no promises his money will be accepted either, but, the option does exist.

So, Jacobs would put up X amount of money, but not be the owner. In exchange, he would get a long term contract for concessions?

Who would be the owner?

And for those of you that do not live here any more, this article in the Buffalo News might give you a little more insight in to what I think Hopeful is partially talking about. There is the beginning of a downtown Renaissance right now and I believe that a new stadium/convention center would be playing a significant role in that Renaissance. This article about IBM Research coming to downtown is also informative. Also, Delaware North is building a new headquarters.

The wife and I bought a new house 2 years ago and I specifically remember looking at one house in Getzville where the owners were two doctors who had moved downtown to be closer to the medical campus. We bought our current house from a UB prof who also wanted to move downtown. While that is anecdotal, I would imagine that this movement of professional, white collar people from the suburbs to downtown hasn't gone unnoticed by our local contingent of real estate developers and even some who are now here from NYC because of the low cost of real estate (Kissling)

That being said, it would make sense to build a new stadium/convention center downtown to capture additional dollars beyond football games and I do not think it a coincidence that the "leak" of Pegula was followed by this Jacobs story shortly after. If those two are working in concert, and I see no reason that they wouldn't be, it sends a really strong message to EVERY other bidder that they will not be able to compete. Both of these families have professional PR firms who understand how to use earned (free) media to deliver a message and I believe that this is a message that is intended for people like Larry Tanenbaum or any Los Angeles interests. But I could be wrong.

All you have to do is drive or walk around certain parts of Buffalo to see that we are approaching a tipping point in the city where by the 2020 census, we might be talking about how Buffalo's population is on the rise and a destination for people to live.

Edited by DevilsAlum

So, Jacobs would put up X amount of money, but not be the owner. In exchange, he would get a long term contract for concessions?

Who would be the owner?

Yes Delaware North would get the concession contract probably for the life of the stadium and possibly naming rights to the stadium as well.

Who would be the owner?

I believe ownership automatically falls on the county/state. They build the stadium with private funding from Jacobs and tax payers.

be very wary of some reports as some "sources" are over-stating their case, and attempting to manipulate the media and the process.

sorry, for now, i can't say anything more.

jw

Is George Hasiotis's stadium proposal on the outer harbor a serious proposal? Or is he just trying to influence the process to benefit his particular development proposal? He claims to be talking to a variety of money groups that might be interested in buying the team. Needless to say Mr. Hasiotis is very ubiquitous. There hasn't been a radio show that he hasn't appeared on. It's my impression that he more than anyone else has a comprehensive plan to work with.

http://audio.wben.com/a/91956089/outer-harbor-stadium-proposal-george-hasiotis.htm

actually, you are right. my mistake there. that said, he still didn't pocket the entire amount.

jw

Are you sure about that? I don't mean that in a sarcastic tone, just wondering why independent reports say Pegula sold 75,000 acres for $1.75 billion, and McClendon bought 75,000 acres for $1.75 billion.

I'm assuming the "unnamed private company" is HG Energy, which shares addresses, contact info, and management tied to Pegula. Plus the respective acreages line up.

And for those of you that do not live here any more, this article in the Buffalo News might give you a little more insight in to what I think Hopeful is partially talking about. There is the beginning of a downtown Renaissance right now and I believe that a new stadium/convention center would be playing a significant role in that Renaissance. This article about IBM Research coming to downtown is also informative. Also, Delaware North is building a new headquarters.

The wife and I bought a new house 2 years ago and I specifically remember looking at one house in Getzville where the owners were two doctors who had moved downtown to be closer to the medical campus. We bought our current house from a UB prof who also wanted to move downtown. While that is anecdotal, I would imagine that this movement of professional, white collar people from the suburbs to downtown hasn't gone unnoticed by our local contingent of real estate developers and even some who are now here from NYC because of the low cost of real estate (Kissling)

That being said, it would make sense to build a new stadium/convention center downtown to capture additional dollars beyond football games and I do not think it a coincidence that the "leak" of Pegula was followed by this Jacobs story shortly after. If those two are working in concert, and I see no reason that they wouldn't be, it sends a really strong message to EVERY other bidder that they will not be able to compete. Both of these families have professional PR firms who understand how to use earned (free) media to deliver a message and I believe that this is a message that is intended for people like Larry Tanenbaum or any Los Angeles interests. But I could be wrong.

All you have to do is drive or walk around certain parts of Buffalo to see that we are approaching a tipping point in the city where by the 2020 census, we might be talking about how Buffalo's population is on the rise and a destination for people to live.

agree with this 1,000,000%

I ised to love downtown. Right on Linwood near Allen. It's been almost 10 years and took me moving to Vegas and back but it is finally moving.

I too believe with all the things happening along the harbor that we are on the verge. Instead of being talked about like a red headed stepchild, were a few years away and a few more projects from being on the rise.

I was just downtown last night for dinner at Gabriel's Gate for fish fry and wings (everyone out of town can be jealous now) and after we walked down to the harbor. It was a cool night and there was still quite a few people out enjoying the boardwalk there. Then on our way out of the city we drove down Elmwood and wow!!! I've never seen it so busy other than 11pm on a Friday or Saturday night. It took us forever to get through all the traffic. All the small shops, bars, cafés along Elmwood were packed. People spilling out into the street. But hey, I'm side someone will argue that's not downtown and it means nothing because it's not 2 blocks away from City Hall. Get over it people. Downtown and the City of Buffalo isn't NYC. But with the sorrow don't suburbs, there is life. It's getting better. Livelier. Anyone who doesn't love here has no idea other than what their friends tell them.

Buffalo is on the up. It is my opinion that Pegula will purchase the team and with the funding from Jacobs and possibly Galisano and anyone else about to get richer, they will find a stadium with minimal tax dollars. Completely rejuvenating downtown Buffalo. Giving people reason to be there more in every season. The state will be put to work with the task of creating more transportation and highway infrastructure to and from. My guess is that the subway will have more stops. Possibly branching off to places like the airport, and UB North Campus along with possibly Niagara Falls Blvd near Bailey/Sheridan/Maple. Possibly using the light rail system that was previously in use connecting points in the city including the Central Terminal.

Buffalo is on the rise. Believe it or don't. We will see in about 10-15 years.