What are the true structural deficiencies of Ralph Wilson Stadium?

From a construction point of view, concrete starts to break down and degrade after 70 years. The stadium will have to be replaced. This is the worry about early concrete structures built during the 1930s (dams and levees).

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a construction point of view, concrete starts to break down and degrade after 70 years. The stadium will have to be replaced. This is the worry about early concrete structures built during the 1930s (dams and levees).

That is a decent point... but how many concrete (or cement) Roman structures are still around, what was the coliseum made of anyway? How about most of the early skyscrapers? There must be some sort of magic to fix things, since not everything made from that particular material is razed.

That is a decent point... but how many concrete (or cement) Roman structures are still around, what was the coliseum made of anyway? How about most of the early skyscrapers? There must be some sort of magic to fix things, since not everything made from that particular material is razed.

I would guess that the roman coliseum was mostly built of stone, marble, rock type materials. Probably holds up better than concrete.

All I know is I went on a tour last summer of the grain mills on the River and they stated that the concrete in most of them is still curing.

I really have no idea why people say the concrete is breaking down at the Ralph. Even in the upper decks. I've been going to games there since the early 90s. I've had season tickets in the lower bowl since 06' and I've never seen any issues with deterioration of the concrete in the Ralph.

They say there is concrete in the Hoover Damn that is still mostly made up of liquid. I find it hard to believe the Ralph has issues.

even if this is correct, the Ralph is only 41 years old as of right now. So based on this argument were only a little over half it's lifespan.

Renovations makes it all ok.

And I work in a very large brick and concrete structure that was built in the 30s and it's still standing so I'm assuming were alright.

Edited by mrags

It was built from grade A concrete and high quality steel.

Structurally it is fine, and it will someday cost almost as much to tear out as it did to put up.

Like Robert Moses Parkway.

Perhaps but revenue generating items can be incorporated into a retrofit. Those who claim a new stadium is needed for that are not considering this avenue, I think.

As for where to play during a retro. They may be able to get the NFL to help out with scheduling for a year so they play all their late games as road games. However, Playoffs would be an issue if they were to make it is that season.

Why couldnt the bills play at ub for a season? @

Maybe it's just me, but I find it nearly impossible to get a bathroom visit in, without missing a big portion of the game. Also, the "jumbo" tron is pathetic. The resolution is poor and they don't even always play replays. If they do, there is a lengthy Microsoft surface commercial before the replay. I could be at home, watching every replay from every angle in slo-mo. Install a HUGE screen or 2, increase bathroom capacity and I'd buy more tickets. I don't see why they can't just upgrade the Ralph. Spend the money on state-of-the-art jumbo-trons.

Why couldnt the bills play at ub for a season? @

Carrier Dome?

Maybe it's just me, but I find it nearly impossible to get a bathroom visit in, without missing a big portion of the game. Also, the "jumbo" tron is pathetic. The resolution is poor and they don't even always play replays. If they do, there is a lengthy Microsoft surface commercial before the replay. I could be at home, watching every replay from every angle in slo-mo. Install a HUGE screen or 2, increase bathroom capacity and I'd buy more tickets. I don't see why they can't just upgrade the Ralph. Spend the money on state-of-the-art jumbo-trons.

They are.

It was built from grade A concrete and high quality steel.

Structurally it is fine, and it will someday cost almost as much to tear out as it did to put up.

Like Robert Moses Parkway.

Lambeau Field survives. So can The Ralph....

This is what we need:

The team (Jacksonville Jaguars) has taken out 9,500 seats in the north end zone and is replacing them with a two-level party deck that includes two pools and 16 cabanas complete with plush furniture.

This is what we need:

The team (Jacksonville Jaguars) has taken out 9,500 seats in the north end zone and is replacing them with a two-level party deck that includes two pools and 16 cabanas complete with plush furniture.

You can do funny stuff to manipulate your numbers too. We used to sell 2 floor seats and just comp them and buy 100 full season tickets in the balcony with the revenue to raise our season ticket number.

I don't know which side I take, I look at the NCAA and stadiums like the Horseshoe, the U of MIchigan satdium, Notre Dame stadium, FLorida State, Clemson, etc. all historic fields without some creature features and no talk of replacing them. I wish the ralph was more estitically pleasing so maybe a retro fit would be more appropriate than just the concrete bowl it is! I think that is the the biggest push for a new stadium, the ralph is nothing special to look at.

Those venues place tens of thousands of students and alumni in at bargain basement prices. Yes if you want to buy a ticket for OSU-Michigan you will pay a fortune. Ohio State versus Eastern Michigan - you can't give away your ticket. Oregon - USC $200. Oregon - Wyoming free.

And there is no possibility of the tax payer funding a new stadium at these colleges. They need to find a Phil Knight to pay for it or they keep using the old stadium.

I'd be OK with a $1000 PSL, but that simply isn't going to happen.

I'm five years from retirement. My financial plan does not include giving some Billionaire 10 grand.

I'm 31/2 years into retirement. I'm not paying any PSL to anybody. I'll take $500 and buy a new TV. Actually, I wouldn't even do that.

In the press conference by Polancarz the day after Ralph died, he said the "bones of the stadium" are solid or something to that effect. I find it hard to believe that a 52 year old stadium is going to fall down if it's not replaced. And obviously the stadium as is is good enough for the Bills to turn a profit.

The need for a new stadium is dictated by Roger Goodell wanting every city to have shiny new stadiums every 25 yeas or so. It's based on profit and power. Getting tax payers to fund his operation. Seems like such a waste.

For those wanting a dome, have you ever been to a game in a dome? I have. It's gross.

In the press conference by Polancarz the day after Ralph died, he said the "bones of the stadium" are solid or something to that effect. I find it hard to believe that a 52 year old stadium is going to fall down if it's not replaced. And obviously the stadium as is is good enough for the Bills to turn a profit.

The need for a new stadium is dictated by Roger Goodell wanting every city to have shiny new stadiums every 25 yeas or so. It's based on profit and power. Getting tax payers to fund his operation. Seems like such a waste.

For those wanting a dome, have you ever been to a game in a dome? I have. It's gross.

i like the points you make.. i love the ralph, quite sure the renovations will make lots happy... i dislike domes, like the buffalo tradition of weather, snow, whatever.. spot on regarding goodell btw!

This is what we need:

We would need ice rinks and igloos.

Plus, I again query, what do you do with the Ralph afterwards? Who is going to pay to raze it? That is an expensive task and the land left there is not worth what it would cost to knock it down. Maybe put a little league field in there a la War Memorial? The Who are not coming back there, or the Stones, or the Dead. Best to leave it with the Bills playing there as long as possible. Goodell can go fart in a hurricane.

I'm five years from retirement. My financial plan does not include giving some Billionaire 10 grand.

It's easy to look at it from a resentful frame of mind, but why not choose to take another, more empowered view of the situation?

How about, gee, I can pay $10K to sit in nice seats AND do my part to keep the team I love? Why not?

I get that some people just can't afford PSLs by themselves, but I hope folks start pooling their resources and doing group buys.

(And yes I will do MY part when the time comes, just as I do now).