JBJ, Tanenbaum and Jacobs family super team?

Jacobs is waiting in the wings to dump money into the right bid/owner. That really says it all.

Correct. That bit of news combined with Rutkowaki's confidence that "too many good people" are involved tells me not to worry.

The thing about the "Niagara Bills" is that it puts a stake in the heart of Toronto's NFL notions and co-opts the Golden Horseshoe as part of our fanbase. It would be nice to have our team on very strong financial footing, wouldn't it?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually not bad. Bit it was all written by a Toronto guy so the arguments will always point towards it being the only "real option" in keeping the team in WNY.

Actually this is the guy who has been pretty adamant that they're most likely not going anywhere. He was the one who broke the ironclad lease story and he was also the guy who said that it is a longshot that Toronto ever gets a team.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I don't really like this idea at all, but if the name has some sticking points why now follow the Angels lead. They've gone from California Angles, to Anaheim Angels to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. All in an effort to tap into the LA region. Perhaps Buffalo Bills of Niagara or something like that is possible to keep both sides appeased.

Edited by Mark80

I have mentioned this a hundred times. NF does not have the ability to support 60,000 people for a home game. Traffic would be a nightmare, it's not in a good neighborhood, there is no easy access in our out, and all it takes is 1 person rear ending someone on the GI bridge and no one is getting home for hours.

Pass. it's a bad bad idea.

Why not expand the rail system between Buffalo and Niagara Falls - heck this should be done anyways,

Game day trains could begin as far south as Hamburg or Fredonia and pass thru Buffalo to Niagara Falls

Correct. That bit of news combined with Rutkowaki's confidence that "too many good people" are involved tells me not to worry.

The thing about the "Niagara Bills" is that it puts a stake in the heart of Toronto's NFL notions and co-opts the Golden Horseshoe as part of our fanbase. It would be nice to have our team on very strong financial footing, wouldn't it?

The Corporate Sponsors that Tannebaum could bring from Toronto and the Bills stay in WNY. I would be happy with this.

I don't really like this idea at all, but if the name has some sticking points why now follow the Angels lead. They've gone from California Angles, to Anaheim Angels to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. All in an effort to tap into the LA region. Perhaps Buffalo Bills of Niagara or something like that is possible to keep both sides appeased.

I don't see it happening, as another poster stated, the Bills logo has nothing to do with the team name, and it would make less sense for them to be called Niagara.

Also, look at the 49'ers. They are going to be playing in a new stadium nearly 50 miles away from San Francisco. Yet they will still be called the San Francisco 49'ers.

Edited by Mark Vader

The thing about the "Niagara Bills" is that it puts a stake in the heart of

Toronto's NFL notions and co-opts the Golden Horseshoe as part of our fanbase. It would be nice to have our team on very strong financial footing, wouldn't it?

So we called them the Orchard Park Bills for the 5 decades? The name should stay Buffalo if it gets built in Niagara Falls.

pass, thank you

In the trust I trust. If the trust signs off on a deal that includes Canadian interests, I believe the team will stay south of the border, probably in a new stadium. What will be key is the ownership percentages.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

I don't see it happening, as another poster stated, the Bills logo has nothing to do with the team name, and it would make less sense for them to be called Niagara.

Also, look at the 49'ers. They are going to be playing in a new stadium nearly 50 miles away from San Francisco. Yet they will still be called the San Francisco 49'ers.

The bison, or buffalo, has long been the city's symbol and thus the logo has a lot to do with the team name. Whether or not the city's name was derived from Indian or French phrases for beautiful river, etc. is immaterial. It is interesting that the first team logo rendered was that of Buffalo Bill Cody, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Where? to send it into the Tonawandas? They'd still have to exit either down Buffalo Avenue or the Robert Moses, which would be the same two paths for people taking the bridge

Yep. Can't put a size 10 foot in a size 7 shoe, even if you spend a ton of money trying...

It would be utterly surreal if the ownership behind the Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs joined forces to "save" the Buffalo Bills. The Bon Jovi part would no longer seem that strange by comparison.

Jacobs is waiting in the wings to dump money into the right bid/owner. That really says it all.

This was definitely the most interesting piece of the article:

* A Western New York source involved in the bid process said he still hears that the Jacobs family will not lead a bid for the Bills. Rather, it will sit back and be ready to potentially provide last-moment “over the top” money for a leading bid group that might require it — a group that would keep the team local, and a group the Jacobs family likes.

Obviously, the team will always be the Buffalo Bills to us.

Nevertheless, if it meant securing the Bills' long-term future in WNY with sound financial support for the team, I might be able to convince myself to go along with the following:

Buffalo-Niagara Bills

or

Buffalo/Niagara Bills

That could be the official name. It parallels the marketing campaign that the region has.

http://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/

It is not as nonsensical as Niagara Bills and still keeps the original name and tradition as part of the name. People north of the border probably would become more invested (emotionally and financially) than they otherwise would.

Most of us probably still would call them the Buffalo Bills or just the Bills in any event.

Edited by Peter