SB Nation: NFL's best linebacker corps: Bills, 49ers lead the way

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Bills elite LB corps" is a phrase I have not heard in a long time.

But seriously, the Spikes/Kiko combination is one I'm looking forward to. Between them, and our defensive line, I could argue that we might have one of the best front 7's in football right now.

"Bills elite _____" is a phrase I have not heard in a long time.

Why?

They did have a very nice group. Now, at least on paper, they have made the group even better.

Agreed. What the Bills had at LB in 2013 wasn't too shabby. They have certainly made a concerted effort to upgrade from that in 2014. We'll see how it pans out.

The Patriots and Jets front sevens are quite formidable as well...

Agreed on the Jets but the Pats? Where do you see their strengths in the front 7? Wilfork off an Achilles and Mayo off a missed year can't be on your list. Hightower was exposed last year to the point of losing reps. Spikes is here now. Chandler Jones isn't bad, and the white dude with the beard can get to the passer sometimes, but otherwise there is nothing formidable there, unless perhaps I am forgetting someone?

Edited by Thurmal34

The LBing corps should be much improved, but among the best? That remains to be seen. I'm curious to see who will man the SLB spot (not sold on Rivers) and how 3rd downs end up working out.

Wow, I'm negative Nancy I guess.

Top LB unit that has never taken snaps together?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since we've already graded the 2014 draft.

Just a preseason list. Many of the LB corps have changed on various teams with FA, rookies, etc. So it is just a projection based on roster talent. I think it is basically SF and then everyone else... but nice to see the Bills at the top of something for once.

"Bills elite LB corps" is a phrase I have not heard in a long time.

But seriously, the Spikes/Kiko combination is one I'm looking forward to. Between them, and our defensive line, I could argue that we might have one of the best front 7's in football right now.

^

This. I think it goes all the way back to Conlan, Bennett & Talley since we've been considered elite by any non-WNY Press assessment. A lot was expected/anticipated from Bradham last year which didn't materialized. He has shown flashes and hopefully 'the Swartz is with him' this year..

I can't put too much into that article when it starts with..."The Bills already had a very nice group of linebackers in 2013"

Spikes will not be the nickel MLB and Rivers is the other OLB which has been mentioned since both signed

For whatever reason Bradham seems to get a lot of love from the national writers. PFF even projected him as one of their breakout superstars for 2014.

Actually I'm not sure if you can say the 49'ers have the best LBing corps because Navorro Bowman is still recovering from his torn ACL in the NFCCG and he likely will start the season on the PUP list.

Wow, I'm negative Nancy I guess.

Top LB unit that has never taken snaps together?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since we've already graded the 2014 draft.

I agree that this is a littl e premature but I think there is ample reason for optimism, as is stated in the article.

Actually I'm not sure if you can say the 49'ers have the best LBing corps because Navorro Bowman is still recovering from his torn ACL in the NFCCG and he likely will start the season on the PUP list.

When is he expected back? He will miss TC?

Our lack of ability stop the run comes from....one, playing from behind, teams ran the ball a lot. Two, I've never looked at the stats but I'm guessing due to the fast pace offense, buffalo faced more plays then the vast majority of team. Three, we blitzed a lot and teams countered it.