3 or possibly 4 stadium sites will be presented by 7/11

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wherever they put the stadium there will be infrastructure changes. The city/downtown of every major city has taken on development as a necessity. People are moving out of suburbs and into the cities and it is making downtown areas thrive again. The flight to the suburbs is over. At least in forward thinking places. If they put the stadium downtown they can still share facilities with UB. Tailgaiting can still happen too, if the city/state, as part of infrastructure changes, expands the subway system and creates a viable commuter train system. Same amount of people, less vehicle traffic. It's time for B-Lo to step into the present and act like a city again; not an accumulation of suburbs around a dead downtown.

Thank you...finally someone gets it!

The city needs to be the heartbeat of the region and NOT the other way around.

• 3 weeks later...

Has the "why" of this been seriously debated?

Is there something wrong with the Ralph? 8 days a year it's full. Maybe a handful of others it draws a modest crowd.

A new stadium won't draw more luxury box people. It won't increase ticket sales. Maybe it will get a couple concerts but not much more.

This isn't baseball where the stadium is better than the game.

I don't get it. Why spend the money?

Is there something wrong with the Ralph? 8 days a year it's full. Maybe a handful of others it draws a modest crowd.

A new stadium won't draw more luxury box people. It won't increase ticket sales. Maybe it will get a couple concerts but not much more.

goodell said we need a new stadium.

if Pegula is the owner, you gotta believe we might actually get a stadium now. he built a brand new state of the art stadium for Penn State hockey. even though those are much cheaper, i'm sure he will want to build a flashy new stadium for his NFL team.

downtown makes sense. his office is down there at the old HSBC tower, his hockey empire is down there. i'm still unconvinced that there will be enough room for tailgating and traffic might be pretty bad, but all signs point to downtown if Pegula is the guy

if Pegula is the owner, you gotta believe we might actually get a stadium now. he built a brand new state of the art stadium for Penn State hockey. even though those are much cheaper, i'm sure he will want to build a flashy new stadium for his NFL team.

downtown makes sense. his office is down there at the old HSBC tower, his hockey empire is down there. i'm still unconvinced that there will be enough room for tailgating and traffic might be pretty bad, but all signs point to downtown if Pegula is the guy

Someone tweeted to wgr the other day about this. The reason he will build a stadium downtown is because he rented out the 31st floor to oversee his empire. I got a chuckle.

Someone tweeted to wgr the other day about this. The reason he will build a stadium downtown is because he rented out the 31st floor to oversee his empire. I got a chuckle.

lol it was probably me. he won't do it only for that reason, but it does make a lot of sense to have it all right there

The same question could be asked "why not?". A new stadium could draw more luxury box people (I'm sure Pegula has the connections, not that Ralph didn't). Ticket sales will probably stay the same but there is more than just football that could be played on sundays if it's a retractable roof/convention center. They could turn in more concerts (other than Bon Jovi).

Look at what Pegula has done/is doing with the Harbor Center. He could very well do the same thing with a Sports/Convention Center. A new stadium could be even more family friendly like a baseball stadium. Imagine a kids zone of sorts added. So instead of one game during the preseason for Kid's day every sunday could be kids day. People would be more willing (myself included) to go to a game with younger kids. I honestly have no intention of taking my kids to a game until they are at least 10 with all the stuff that goes on and little child friendly things there are to do.

So like I said, why not? It's only going to help develop a downtown Buffalo that has been limping along for who knows how long.

the only downside of a new stadium (besides traffic and lack of tailgating areas if it were downtown) will be the higher ticket prices. $200 seats are expensive, especially if you want to bring the whole family to a game. it's like Bills game or vacation?...hmmmm. especially if the team isn't doing well

the only downside of a new stadium (besides traffic and lack of tailgating areas if it were downtown) will be the higher ticket prices. $200 seats are expensive, especially if you want to bring the whole family to a game. it's like Bills game or vacation?...hmmmm. especially if the team isn't doing well

Prices would likely go up but if they turned it into a multi function convention center they could probably get away with lower ticket prices.

Using the stadium for 8 games a year vs year round usage would probably even out.

And when it's not ticket revenue, I would assume the money is pocketed by the county and not NFL revenue. Not sure though.

Edited by The Wiz

In baseball the stadium has to be an experience because you're asking people to come more often.

I'm pretty sure the NFL has proven that more luxury boxes at higher prices do come with new stadiums.

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with RWS as a football stadium - just the limitations it creates.

A new stadium will come with an iron-clad agreement to keep the team in town for the next 30+ years. That's why. The Ralph is like a very old car - one that you've had some of your fondest memories in. It still gets you where you want to go, but the trips to the auto shop are getting more and more frequent and the repair bills are adding up. The NFL is a billion dollar corporation, and it doesn't want old cars in its garage.

A new stadium will come with an iron-clad agreement to keep the team in town for the next 30+ years. That's why. The Ralph is like a very old car - one that you've had some of your fondest memories in. It still gets you where you want to go, but the trips to the auto shop are getting more and more frequent and the repair bills are adding up. The NFL is a billion dollar corporation, and it doesn't want old cars in its garage.

Agreed. I am not sure it would be for thirty years, but agreed. When the new stadium comes the Ralph will be 47 years old...that is old enough for an nfl stadium. It is not like the Georgia dome where it is 20 plus years and out. You are not going to get married In a powder blue, ruffled tux in 2014 and this is still an nfl team and it's house should be at least commensurate with the league. Can't believe I wrote that but it is true.

Additionally, and very respectfully to John Adams, this new house will add a new breed of luxury customer...build it and seriously, they will come.

Paging Kirby! Paging Kirby!

My favorite if this all comes to fruition is Perry St Projects. Tear down all that crap that nobody lives in except the towers I guess? I've not seen a comment from Kirby in this. What are your thoughts man?

Thanks

Willy

In baseball the stadium has to be an experience because you're asking people to come more often.

I'm pretty sure the NFL has proven that more luxury boxes at higher prices do come with new stadiums.

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with RWS as a football stadium - just the limitations it creates.

There's not anything wrong with it....except that its made from 47 year old concrete that constantly needs BandAid fixes because its faltering due to the freeze/thaw cycle.

IMO the perfect analogy for the Ralph is the one a few posts above me. Its an old car with fond memories, but now instead of going to the shop 3 times a year for an oil change, its a frequent flyer. Fix something this year....and there's always something that will need it next year.