AFC East Winner or When will Brady decline?

He didn't decline at all last year. He had no names with no chemistry last year losing Hernandez, Gronk most of the year, and most importantly Welker.

I hate the Pats as much as anyone, but Brady is just as good as he was 5 years ago. He'll go another three years easily and he loves to play the game.

The sad thing is it will be so tough to beat them as long as Brady is there.

Yup. It'll be a battle for 2d place again this year and probably for the next 3 years.

The Pats are no longer an elite team. But they're still savvy enough to put themselves in position to get the breaks to fall their way. Last year they won 12 games despite never being dominant like the other top tier NFL teams. If a few breaks go the other way, they only win 9 games. That luck will eventually run out. Hopefully it starts now.

They've been doing it for ten years; it's not luck.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will probably win the division until Brady retires. it seems like we've heard it all before, "Brady is getting older, this will be the year they slide", "They lost this player/that player so this will be the year they slide". "The Jets made improvements so this will be the year they'll jump over the Patriots".

Last year they lost Welker, Hernandez, and they were without Gronk for most of the year. Also, the Dolphins looked a little more competitve and our defense got significantly better. Yet they still beat us twice, won the division, and made it to the AFC Championship Game. I would love it if anyone knocked them off. I'd even like to see the Jets win the division if that means the Patriots don't. But unfortunately it just looks like they will be good until Brady is gone.

Edited by Talley56

Id be shocked if Brady is anything but outstanding this year

Hmm, I could see him slipping. If you watched him last year he missed throws that in years past he would make in his sleep. But let's face, he is so far ahead of the game him slipping is still better then most Qb's in the league & wll still probably be light years ahead of how EJ plays this year.

I am a firm believer that systems the coaches put in have the greatest effect on whether a team is a winning or losing team. It's all the system Belichick has put in place in NE. When they lose players to free agency or injury, other ones step right in to fill the role. Look at last year with Brady and his no name receivers and somehow they make it to the divisional round of the playoffs. I'm not saying that Brady isn't a great QB, but once Brady retires, expect Mallet or whoever to come in and still win. As long as Belichick is there, they are going to be good.

I hate saying it, but I think we're still 3rd or 4th best in the division. The Pats will be better as long as Brady stays good. The Jets have a dominant defense, and probably a more explosive offense (and arguably better coaching). I see Miami in a similar boat as us, missing a few pieces, especially at QB, with questionable coaching. Depending on how our new defense does, we could see a repeat of last year and get some wins against them, or if our new defense sucks, we'll be back in the cellar.

Based on what?

I can't name a receiver besides Decker

The Brady era will eventually end, no denying that as much as I would like to. What goes in his favor is that his first year in the league was as a backup, so there is an extra full season left of tread on his tires relative to his years in the league. Brady's game has always been based more on his mental ability rather than athletic ability, so in that regard aging won't hurt him as much, the big issue will be unforeseen injuries, it is much easier to come back from injury at a younger age. Last year Brady dealt with injures to 3 of his top 4 WRs and his all-pro TE, while his other former TE is rotting in prison because he decided to go postal. I'm going to set aside the Welker leaving because Edelman took over quite nicely. Realistically Brady probably has three years left at a very high level, we just drafted Garrapolo, and he was the highest we have taken a QB since we took Bledsoe 1st overall two decades ago. NE has been fortunate to have 3 starting QBs over that time span and all 3 have made pro-bowls.

He didn't decline at all last year. He had no names with no chemistry last year losing Hernandez, Gronk most of the year, and most importantly Welker.

I hate the Pats as much as anyone, but Brady is just as good as he was 5 years ago. He'll go another three years easily and he loves to play the game.

The sad thing is it will be so tough to beat them as long as Brady is there.

Brady is still great, but I don't think he's nearly as good as he was 5 years ago. Yes, losing Welker, Gronk, and the killer hurt, but last year he looked off his game more often than I recall ever seeing him.

Or maybe it's just my Tommy-hate getting the better of me?

I think having the best coach in the history of the NFL add's a few extra years on you.

I can see Brady playing at a competative level when he is 40

CBF

Belichick had a Jauron type record before Brady. Brady is the main reason why Belichick is considered a great coach. And for whatever reason, they are giving Brady sub par receivers. Hopefully, this is the year it finally catches up to them.

Belichick had a Jauron type record before Brady. Brady is the main reason why Belichick is considered a great coach. And for whatever reason, they are giving Brady sub par receivers. Hopefully, this is the year it finally catches up to them.

His prior HC gig with Cleveland they improved every year, made the playoffs and won a playoff game, the next season they were in a position to contend and Modell announced the team was moving and they're record plummeted for obvious reasons. Belichick was the last HC to win a playoff game for Cleveland to this day, Ozzie Newsome has credited much of the success in Baltimore to the foundation built in Cleveland. Belichick was also probably the main driving force behind the two Superbowl wins in NY when he was the DC, his game plan against the Bills is in the hall of fame, he was also the Assistant Head Coach when NE won the AFC and made it to the Superbowl against the Packers. No denying that Brady is an all time great QB, but without Belichick there is a chance he never makes it in the NFL, NE was the only team to contact Michigan coaches about him, and Belichick made the call to carry 4 QBs his first year because he saw potential in Brady.

I fully expect Brady to play more or less to his usual standards this year, but I'd say that his window is max 3 years right now and a serious injury could be the light switch getting flipped instead of a couple incremental drops over 3 years

I would think his surrounding cast will have more effect than his personal decline . The guy is just too smart on the field . His strength is not his arm or his legs. Its his play calling , reading defenses and adjustments.

An injury is the only way to get this guy to sit for the foreseeable future .

But can the Bills usurp the Patriots any time soon while Tom is chucking balls ? sure we can.

On any Sunday .

Edited by 3rdand12

I fully expect Brady to play more or less to his usual standards this year, but I'd say that his window is max 3 years right now and a serious injury could be the light switch getting flipped instead of a couple incremental drops over 3 years

Agreed.

His prior HC gig with Cleveland they improved every year, made the playoffs and won a playoff game, the next season they were in a position to contend and Modell announced the team was moving and they're record plummeted for obvious reasons. Belichick was the last HC to win a playoff game for Cleveland to this day, Ozzie Newsome has credited much of the success in Baltimore to the foundation built in Cleveland. Belichick was also probably the main driving force behind the two Superbowl wins in NY when he was the DC, his game plan against the Bills is in the hall of fame, he was also the Assistant Head Coach when NE won the AFC and made it to the Superbowl against the Packers. No denying that Brady is an all time great QB, but without Belichick there is a chance he never makes it in the NFL, NE was the only team to contact Michigan coaches about him, and Belichick made the call to carry 4 QBs his first year because he saw potential in Brady.

Well said!

interesting topic. At any rate, I think the games should be competitive. We have a solid, talented team, minus the question mark at QB. I would say we have the best D and offensive in the AFC East if EJ is average.

Edited by RyanC883

The analysis provided in the article also shows that: "Historically quarterbacks start to hit their stride at 25..."

EJ turned 24 in March.

QB_composite01_sm.jpg

Can't wait till EJ turns 33..............just kidding! I BILLieve!

interesting topic. At any rate, I think the games should be competitive. We have a solid, talented team, minus the question mark at QB. I would say we have the best D and offensive in the AFC East if EJ is average.

Our "question mark at QB" played well enough to beat Brady and the Patsies last year but the D (and SJ) let us down with a late score. D is the real question mark on this team.

EJ had a few bad games but he had more good than bad. Guy showed me a ton of potential last year. EJ will be fine.

Sacks and stuff are fun, but giving up 23 ppg (20th in NFL) is a recipe for 6-10. That needs to improve quite a bit if we are to be playoffs bound in 2014.

Those dismissing Belichick as worthless without Brady seem to be forgetting that they went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at QB in 2008.

No doubt Bill and Tom have a certain synergy, but Belichick is a great coach.

Brady is in decline .... so is the team

Those dismissing Belichick as worthless without Brady seem to be forgetting that they went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at QB in 2008.

No doubt Bill and Tom have a certain synergy, but Belichick is a great coach.

and the Ravens won with Dilfer, the Giants with Hostetler, Skins with Ripein, and lets not forget SPY GATE

or what Cassel did after he went to KC

I am a firm believer that systems the coaches put in have the greatest effect on whether a team is a winning or losing team. It's all the system Belichick has put in place in NE. When they lose players to free agency or injury, other ones step right in to fill the role. Look at last year with Brady and his no name receivers and somehow they make it to the divisional round of the playoffs. I'm not saying that Brady isn't a great QB, but once Brady retires, expect Mallet or whoever to come in and still win. As long as Belichick is there, they are going to be good.

Ding!

Ding!

Ding!

Finally someone get it. It's the COACHING! Bill Belichick has owned the Buffalo Bills since Super Bowl XXV. I do not like our coaching staff.