If the Bills brass thinks it's ready wo win now...why not franchis

Estro

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley said specifically in a wgr interview. He wants his players all-in and hinted that the same stuff would have happened if they franchised him (hold out, boo boo foot, etc). That's not a player who is all-in.

Notice how many RBs we picked up? I did.

How many Super Bowls have the Eagles won with him...when he plays? Hilarious how uptight people are about "injury prone" EJ yet cry about losing an OT that can't stay on the field.

Are you not sure of the Grand Canyon sized gap separting the importance of the starting QB to that of an LT?

Argue all you want, but the Bills made a very fair and lucrative offer to Byrd. If you don't want to know about this because it hurts your agrument, I understand. There is this thing called google, search for it. The reports are out there and Byrd's camp isn't denying it. Reports are that he would have been the highest paid safety for at least the first 3 years. The Bills don't reveal the specifics of actual contracts so what makes you think they are going to release the specifics of an offer?

I know some of you don't want to believe this, but Byrd did not want to be here. The Bills were smart in not offering any more to a safety who at best was injured a large chunk of last year or at worst faked an injury so he didn't have to play. Either way, Good Riddance! If you are a Bills fan, you need to let go of your Man Crush on Byrd! He is gone......he is gone.......

I'm with you Estro. I think the biggest factor in the change of thought process was Ralph's passing. I think OBD got that "we're probably one and done" feeling so they did what they could to improve their resume by signing folks and making the move for Sammy. As far as cap space, that could be looked at a reason to not franchise him, but I think that can also be worked around as the Saints did when they decided Byrd was worth 9 mill a year and they didn't have the space. I think the bigger issue was the cash outlay, especially if they wanted to spend some money in free agency already.

And the players understand the business side of the game also so I doubt there was any hard feelings or distractions there even if he came in late. If I remember correctly he even sat one extra week last year because Marrone and staff thought he needed the time after he said he was ready.

Because if you want to win now, not having your starting free safety for 6-10 games, not having him in camp, and not knowing exactly when you're going to have him in game shape are all worse than the prospect of living without him and moving on.

Jesus ok lets try this for the 1 Billionth time, he didn't want to be here! He would hold out till the last minute then have some 'injury' keeping him from performing like the BS Foot issue last year. he didn't want to be here and he wouldn't have performed worth a damn if we forced him to be here

Seems to me a "win now" mentality starts with players that actually want to be in Buffalo. And if making him the highest paid safety in the league was the only way to make Byrd "want to be here", then he wasn't all in to begin with.

We lost a very instinctive football player. But I don't think his lack of elite athleticism will be missed very much, if at all. This secondary is hellbent on proving all the doubters who believe they'll fall apart with Byrd, wrong.

GO BILLS!!!

I am on record as saying that I would've franchised Byrd again, just to get another year of service out of him.

I also understand why the team didn't, and Whaley's explanation makes perfect sense to me: we assigned a value to the player, and what he wanted was above that value, and so we didn't re-sign him. He also hinted at the possibility of another long holdout, which the team didn't want to go through.

I don't like it, but I understand it. I do, however, like that they were proactive in signing Aaron Williams long-term and moving forward...that's smart.

I'll wait to see how the defensive backfield plays out this year before I criticize the final decision.

Argue all you want, but the Bills made a very fair and lucrative offer to Byrd. If you don't want to know about this because it hurts your agrument, I understand. There is this thing called google, search for it. The reports are out there and Byrd's camp isn't denying it. Reports are that he would have been the highest paid safety for at least the first 3 years. The Bills don't reveal the specifics of actual contracts so what makes you think they are going to release the specifics of an offer?

I know some of you don't want to believe this, but Byrd did not want to be here. The Bills were smart in not offering any more to a safety who at best was injured a large chunk of last year or at worst faked an injury so he didn't have to play. Either way, Good Riddance! If you are a Bills fan, you need to let go of your Man Crush on Byrd! He is gone......he is gone.......

well said.

why franchise a guy that doesnt want to be here and deal with the distraction or fake injury like they did last year

It's not that he didn't want to be here; he wanted his long-term deal. That was the part that made him unhappy; not being in Buffalo...I feel like the distinction is very important.

Spiller will be gone after his contract is up;

Quote:

"It's my first rodeo. I'll take advice from guys that have been there before. I'll reach out to Jairus [byrd] and see how he handled it," Spiller said. "I haven't talked to him. I've seen him this offseason but I will [reach out] eventually."

Source: http://espn.go.com/b...ach-out-to-byrd

I figure that there is a good chance he's gone too....but....I base that upon his individual situation, not making a base assumption that because Byrd was let go that all future Bills players with talent will walk.

It's not that he didn't want to be here; he wanted his long-term deal. That was the part that made him unhappy; not being in Buffalo...I feel like the distinction is very important.

A long term deal was on the table two years in a row, I'm not saying he didnt want to be in Buffalo but he certainly didnt want to stay in Buffalo either if it meant taking less money (question is how much difference there was between the two offers guaranteed money wise; if the difference was 10 million I understand him however if it was 2 million on the 20 then heh it's not like he'll be able to spend it all anyway...

They could tag him just like last year. And just like last year he could hold out until the last possible minute. Then he would probably get some sand in his va-Jay-Jay and be out hurt again for a few more games. In actuality, we'd be worse off than if we just went with one of the young kids at FS and let them learn to play the position from the start of camp all the way forward.

Yup. Plus it would have created locker room problems.

Also, I love Byrd as a player, but let's not pretend he's Ronnie Lott.

They offered him what they thought he was worth. The Saints, who are a SB contender, felt like he was a piece to get them another SB win and paid him what he wanted to get him. But the Bills can "win now" without him, and the first step is making the playoffs. If they do that, then maybe they can start thinking about adding a FS for $9-10/year, which I still think is crazy.

First Byrd does not make or break the team. We shall see if he will be missed I will say yes probably a little. IF the Bills ever play a Big game again. He's a guy IMO you would want back there as opposed to throwing towards him as the Bills will someday do now.

That said: AP report= hearsay= zero off the record talk. Nothing more if there was more the source would have been mentioned.

Again, no disrespect to the author. But, other "reports" had the Bills offer at closer too 7mil per year.

So who is right? Probably neither. But, the phantom, faked, injury is pure BS. Ask Russ when you run into him. Someone get something from the horses mouth because hearsay is meaningless BS. But it sells and there are certainly buyers out in Bills land.

I love the downgrade to him as not important, slightly, above average, slow, etc. Then people wonder why a teams sucks 14 years straight. And I mean sucks. At least Byrdman has a shot at some hardware something he mentioned numerous times. Winning was important to him. He never would win a ring here that much is certain. Being off season paper champs really means nothing to players. Ask one.

IMO the blame goes to a man named Jeff Littman. He will be among the first fired, but I am thinking he leaves with a golden parachute per the sale terms and his fees administering the trust. He still weilds massive power in the FO along with his sidekick.

Diatribe over!!