WR Stevie Johnson traded to San Francisco 49ers

Eddie Zamites@EddieZamites 13h

Good ROI for bills with Stevie Johnson. Get a few good years of production out of him then trade the former 7th round pick for a 4th rounder

The only reasonable explanation is that Stevie wasn't expected to be a significant part of the plan this season -- clearly they wanted a different "leader" in the WR room.

Reading through this thread, it's clear that 14 years of losing have really damaged a lot of our psyches. As a fan base, we've become "ok" with embracing "good stories" rather than insisting on getting better. I've been guilty of it with different players, and I think I've finally learned my lesson. This was a logical and understandable move by a couple of guys (Whaley, Marrone) who want this team to be better, now.

Best of luck to Stevie in SF. I will not trash him, but I also won't lament his exit.

Right... I was hoping they wouldn't do it all along and thought I would be more upset than I am now that it has happened... it's almost a relief. Like we got rid of a dark cloud. The Bills clearly believe having him on the team will not help them win.Another bold move. I think his issues are in his head, and a change of scenery will help him to overcome that if he can. It's a fresh start for both sides.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to John Murphy podcast and Chris Brown said Stevie trade was part having two many/better WRs, part money, and part personality fit insinuating that he would not be happy with his new role and they didn't anticipate him handling it well.

Whaley said traded for Watkins to get into the playoffs this year right? How does trading Stevie Johnson do anything other than hurt the Bills in 2014?

This is my line of thinking as well. You end up bumping Stevie off and raising bad football players like Graham, Hogan and Easly up on the depth chart. Our depth at WR is horrible. Trust me injuries will happen.

I don't see this team as a playoff team. I don't trust Manuel, our WR's are raw and IMO we have a poor secondary that will get lit up under our new scheme. This team lacks major depth at QB, OL, WR, CB, LB and S.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

The only reasonable explanation is that Stevie wasn't expected to be a significant part of the plan this season -- clearly they wanted a different "leader" in the WR room.

Reading through this thread, it's clear that 14 years of losing have really damaged a lot of our psyches. As a fan base, we've become "ok" with embracing "good stories" rather than insisting on getting better. I've been guilty of it with different players, and I think I've finally learned my lesson. This was a logical and understandable move by a couple of guys (Whaley, Marrone) who want this team to be better, now.

Best of luck to Stevie in SF. I will not trash him, but I also won't lament his exit.

Setting aside whether he is average or not, the fact is he was the only proven receiver on our team. I agree Watkins, and Woods should be good, but Goodwin, and Williams are still question marks.

At the very least they should have waited until after the season. We aren't better after trading him. We took another weapon away from Manuel.

I have a buddy thats a niners fan, and he is pretty happy that they landed Johnson for a conditional 4th. Enjoy the playoffs Stevie!

Edited by What a Tuel

Listened to John Murphy podcast and Chris Brown said Stevie trade was part having two many/better WRs, part money, and part personality fit insinuating that he would not be happy with his new role and they didn't anticipate him handling it well.

There were kind of hints of that latter last year.

I don't think Stevie likes playing the slot or going over the middle. He's also never been the best WR at helping the QB by coming back for the ball.

I think his route running skills fit best in Chan's E-P "beat the man, run to the spot" offense and weren't working as well with the precise timing WCO Marrone wants to run, and rather than have EJ thinking about what unconventional thing SJ might do next or focused on building the "mind meld" with him, Marrone wants all the WR running the same system on the same page.

Which makes it interesting that he's going to SF - doesn't Harbaugh run pretty much a WCO? On the other hand, SF suffered last year from having their WR jammed on the line, and maybe they figure Stevie can help with that.

Setting aside whether he is average or not, the fact is he was the only proven receiver on our team. I agree Watkins, and Woods should be good, but Goodwin, and Williams are still question marks.

At the very least they should have waited until after the season. We aren't better after trading him. We took another weapon away from Manuel.

I have a buddy thats a niners fan, and he is pretty happy that they landed Johnson for a conditional 4th. Enjoy the playoffs Stevie!

Williams has had some solid production. I would not catagorize him as 'unproven'.

Williams has had some solid production. I would not catagorize him as 'unproven'.

A guy who until last year has averaged 64 catches for 910 yards and 8 TD's is anything but "unproven."

I'm sad that he has gone but not surprised. I liked Stevie Johnson but I do think getting a team to take on that big contract for a guy who you no longer see as indispensable is probably a good idea. I'm also kinda pleased for him that he might get a play-off shot or two there (although at the moment the 9ers are my "surprise play-off miss" for next season).

In terms of what it means for the Bills going forward my guess is that Watkins, Woods, Williams and Goodwin are roster locks and then they will go with one of the big bodied guys (Elliot maybe, or Barden) and Easley for his special teams prowess. I think the freeing up some of the Stevie money also makes it MORE likely that the Bills renew Spiller. I think he will have seen the slow RB market this summer and if the Bills put a decent offer on the table I see him staying.

This is my line of thinking as well. You end up bumping Stevie off and raising bad football players like Graham, Hogan and Easly up on the depth chart. Our depth at WR is horrible. Trust me injuries will happen.

I don't see this team as a playoff team. I don't trust Manuel, our WR's are raw and IMO we have a poor secondary that will get lit up under our new scheme. This team lacks major depth at QB, OL, WR, CB, LB and S.

anywhere else?

I have to agree with this. While I wasn't a fan of SJ's showboating and attitude, we just unloaded a veteran guy and put even more future stock in Watkins.

I had my doubts on draft night about trading up to get this kid, but I am willing to wait it out and see how this all turns out. He seems to have a decent head on his shoulders (despite the pot incident early in his college career) so maybe they thought Stevie might tarnish his virgin-like qualities? :rolleyes:

What surprises me is that more people aren't ticked about them moving up and then not taking Mack. To me, he seemed like the "safest" pick in the draft and the thought of having him in a lb corps with Alonso, Spikes, Hughes and Lawson seemed downright scary. Guess they figured we were deep and talented enough at LB to not take Mack despite the fact they just drafted one in Round 3.

I think you're having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that the Bills' staff doesn't agree with your assessments. The Bills have spent three high draft picks on receivers since Marrone arrived -- and they took Graham the year earlier. They are young, but that also means they are coachable. Stevie is his own cat. Fans should stop looking at the individual player statistics and focus on what the Bills are trying to do as a team. Is Stevie Johnson as an individual receiver -- in a vacuum -- "better" than Goodwin or Woods right now? Probably. But that's not the point.

I'm in the "I don't like it camp"

Simply because he is/was our most proven WR on the team. Which is fairly important considering we have one rookie, two guys in their second year, another who is a big question mark, and a third year guy who has hands of stone.

To me, it's another huge risk, and a hole made.

That all being said, I *understand* the decision. He doesn't match the coaches, and might not have chemistry with EJ. But still... I feel like we should have kept him at least through pre-season to figure out what we have all together.

Hopefully it works out. Both for us and Stevie. I like Stevie, I feel like he's a genuinely good guy. I wish him the best of luck in San Fran.

My fingers are crossed tightly that Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Williams, and Graham can come together to make a competent receiving corps.

How do you figure? Johnson had more yards, and tds with less games played. I won't argue that Woods might have more upside, but statistically Johnson was better last year despite playing through injuries.

Woods had 12 fewer catches, had the same number of TDs, and averaged 3 more yards per reception. He's better than Stevie Johnson, period.

I'm not a Stevie hater (although I hated his drops and stupid celebration penalties), but it's time to move on and go with players who are better.

Woods had 12 fewer catches, had the same number of TDs, and averaged 3 more yards per reception. He's better than Stevie Johnson, period.

I'm not a Stevie hater (although I hated his drops and stupid celebration penalties), but it's time to move on and go with players who are better.

To be fair, they were asked to run different routes. Woods had longer routes, and Johnson was more of an underneath guy for us last year.

So, Watkins/Williams/Woods/Goodwin is not a good WR corps?

Exactly... Stevie would have been on the bench. The offense depends on speed and separation, not basketball moves to get open 5 yards from the line... EJ and Stevie seemed like they were not on the same page to boot.

Williams, woods and Watkins are all better fits for the offense than SJ13. It was obvious last year.. And I have been a huge SJ fan.

I saw him being most lethal in Denver's offense.. Hope he thrives in SF.

To be fair, they were asked to run different routes. Woods had longer routes, and Johnson was more of an underneath guy for us last year.

Exactly... And everyone knew SJ13 was weak on the long routes, which explains the move to slot.