Did the Bills pay too much to move up for Watkins?

I'm fine with the trade and I'm excited about Watkins. He was the only player I really felt was worth trading up for. It was a bold move but I like the attitude and message it sends to the team. Obviously we won't know if it was "worth it" for years and hindsight is always 20/20, but I think Watkins has potential to be a superstar. If we can add a tackle, and EJ progresses and stays healthy I think that for the first time in 15 years we're going to be relavent again.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To do what they did they paid about what you'd expect. The question is "is he worth it?"

I will say at least the opinion on Watkins was unanimous, that he is considered elite by most everyone, unlike a Johnny Manziel with opinions varying wildly.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I would have traded down and picked up another 2nd or 3rd round pick. We were well stocked with young wide receivers, who will improve. We still need ROT, LB, safety and TE. We are not going to fill all those positions with quality players with one pick in each of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round.

I wasn't a fan of trading up and wanted a Mike Evans type receiver. I'm conflicted on this. But if he lives up to what people say and becomes a top 5 type wr in passing league, that's probably worth it. I'm just glad it wasn't a OT. It's a lot harder to find elite playmakers than Ts.

How good is Watkins? If he is a pro-bowler or hall of famer this is a fine pick. If we draft some o-line help this makes sense. In the final analysis if Beckham or Ebron turn out to be outstanding we will have egg on our face. If Manuel gets sacked and hurt and Lewan plays lights out in Tennessee we will look stupid. Marrone and the front office are putting their jobs on the line for the new ownership with this selection, so Watkins had best be lights out good.

I think walter football said it best. Absolutely spot on in my opinion.

"The Bills get an A for Sammy Watkins. He's a stud, and he's going to be a great receiver in the NFL. Having said that, they get a D for moving up. They surrendered a first-round pick in 2015, and given that the quarterback is still E.J. Manuel, it's likely that Cleveland will have an additional top-12 selection in 2015 NFL Draft. "

Yes, they paid to much.....but why. My view....Marrone and Whaley are in a "one and done" situation with respect to a new owner. If they aren't in the playoffs, they will be gone...the new guy will put his stamp on the team right away. (might even if they make the playoffs) So, ";burning the furniture" for the 2015 draft might not make any difference to the current leadership at OBD, as they won't be there anyhow if they don't make the playoffs. So, for them, this was a" why not?" situation.

I would have been happy with the guy from LSU at #9, but I am not running the show.

Go Bills! I wish them good fortune with this pick!

Although they gave up a lot more to get him I think the move was smart by the GM and Coach. They gave up nothing in this years draft because they know that with a new owner coming in they may not be able to slowly build this team. Heck they may clean house if they don't win. I think this was a move where they had to give up more to not include picks in this years draft because everyone claims its so deep and the GM and coach did not believe they could wait till next year to get the other pieces they need to make it a contending team.

Everyone was clamoring for Watkins before the draft and now that they moved up to get him it's a bad move. What did you think the price was going to be? A couple 2nd and 3rd round picks? Any team would have traded that to get him or Cleveland would have just drafted him to pair with Gordon.

Look no one likes giving away the 2015 first but if they Bills are actually decent next year it's a good trade. If they are bad then the trade is bad. Pretty much that simple.

Everyone was clamoring for Watkins before the draft and now that they moved up to get him it's a bad move. What did you think the price was going to be? A couple 2nd and 3rd round picks? Any team would have traded that to get him or Cleveland would have just drafted him to pair with Gordon.

Look no one likes giving away the 2015 first but if they Bills are actually decent next year it's a good trade. If they are bad then the trade is bad. Pretty much that simple.

Good for the Bills. Bad for the Browns, unless Sammy Watkins is available next year in the 1st round. Yep, there is your answer.

A few thoughts:

-Watkins is going to be a star.

-If they get to the playoffs it isn't too much because the pick will be in the low 20's in all likelihood.

-If EJ develops it won't matter because this team will have lots of talent. They can address needs in FA next year if necessary plus have a 2nd & 3rd where they can find 2 starters. I do not expect this team to need more than 2 starters next year. If 1 of those is a RB they can get one of the best in the draft in the 2nd (probably not Gurley but lots of value for RB in the 2nd).

-As of right now I think that they could use 2 OL (1 in, 1 out), a DE, a LB, a TE and a punter). They still have 5 more picks in this draft plus a trade chip in Stevie.

While the price was high IF EJ develops than they will be fine. If they are without a QB and without a 1st they are going to need to explore veteran options (Cutler, Romo, Alex Smith, Cousins, and even Matt Ryan) are guys that I could see potentially becoming available. Their other option is to add another QB at some point in this draft and who knows that guy may develop. I would love Aaron Murray but I don't think that they should take a QB before the 4th.

You may be right that Sammy will be a star.

But you don't think there were any future Pro Bowlers - or maybe future Hall of Famers - still left at #9?

We could have potentially had two Pro Bowlers with those two first round picks. Instead we have one.

Watkins needs to become very special for this trade to make sense.

You may be right that Sammy will be a star.

But you don't think there were any future Pro Bowlers - or maybe future Hall of Famers - still left at #9?

We could have potentially had two Pro Bowlers with those two first round picks. Instead we have one.

Watkins needs to become very special for this trade to make sense.

And we could have none or drafted Aaron Maybin. It's the draft. Who the hell knows?

And we could have none or drafted Aaron Maybin. It's the draft. Who the hell knows?

Fair enough.

But that's why I prefer more picks. Every pick is a throw of the dice. The odds of getting a winning roll are better when we have more chances to roll 'em.

And yet... I find Whaley's enthusiasm infectious.