Who's Buying Shares In EJ?

Beerball

Risks Relating to EJ Manuel

• Future negative publicity could damage EJ Manuel's reputation and impair the value of his brand.

what would happen if we find out - he got the munchies - then stole the crab legs?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems we call all buy shares in the EJ Manuel brand.

Fantex has purchased a 10% share in EJ's future brand income. It will start selling shares under the ticker symbol "EJML" at $10 a piece on May 5.

I might buy $100 worth of shares just for fun, just to have some skin in the game. Anyone else in?

http://espn.go.com/n...-brokerage-firm

Here's how the EJ Manuel brand was valued:

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/9258/dissecting-how-manuels-stock-is-valued

Edited by hondo in seattle

Yesterday I was thinking of getting 1 share for each of my kids as a novelty. But now that my blood alcohol level has returned to normal it seems silly.

Plus none of my kids are that high on EJ. If it was Spiller they would probably want a share :)

But all the articles I've seen forget to mention the biggest risk in buying these "stocks". That being Fantex itself folding.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Do I at least get a stock certificate with a picture of EJ on it or something? Would mind donating $10 but would want something to hang on the wall in return. Maybe something that I can get EJ to autograph.

Edited by 3 --> 10 Connection

This is just not smart. Regardless of how you think our EJ (or any athlete for that matter) is going to do, you as an owner of Athlete X shares have no power whatsoever. When you buy stock in a company you (most of the time) are also purchasing a voting right for each share you own. Don't like the direction of the company, guess what, you have a voice and the means to do something about that! Maybe you and I as little people don't have much sway over a large company like Boeing for example, but institutional investors do and if a company is performing poorly, then large institutional stockholders have the power to make things change

Contrast this as an owner of an athlete's stock. You have no power what-so-ever. If EJ is trying to come back from a nagging injury and could potentially be ready to face the team with the worst defense. Do you have the power to make him play (as it is assumed he would help his stock value by tearing up his opponent's weak defense)? Of course not! That power is held by the team and the teams trainer ultimately.

Also, what is to stop athletes (or entities purchasing shares on the athlete's behalf) from betting against (ie shorting) their own stock once they get later in their careers. Athletes are the only people who truly know how they feel and have a pulse on their own longevity. A guy who's performing at a high level at 30 years old may feel his performance and reboundability slipping before anybody else does and could potentially buy short positions in his stock over the following two years.

Does anybody know how well regulated this will be?

Edited by saundena