Who's Buying Shares In EJ?

Beerball

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just not smart. Regardless of how you think our EJ (or any athlete for that matter) is going to do, you as an owner of Athlete X shares have no power whatsoever. When you buy stock in a company you (most of the time) are also purchasing a voting right for each share you own. Don't like the direction of the company, guess what, you have a voice and the means to do something about that! Maybe you and I as little people don't have much sway over a large company like Boeing for example, but institutional investors do and if a company is performing poorly, then large institutional stockholders have the power to make things change

Contrast this as an owner of an athlete's stock. You have no power what-so-ever. If EJ is trying to come back from a nagging injury and could potentially be ready to face the team with the worst defense. Do you have the power to make him play (as it is assumed he would help his stock value by tearing up his opponent's weak defense)? Of course not! That power is held by the team and the teams trainer ultimately.

Also, what is to stop athletes (or entities purchasing shares on the athlete's behalf) from betting against (ie shorting) their own stock once they get later in their careers. Athletes are the only people who truly know how they feel and have a pulse on their own longevity. A guy who's performing at a high level at 30 years old may feel his performance and reboundability slipping before anybody else does and could potentially buy short positions in his stock over the following two years.

Does anybody know how well regulated this will be?

In order to short them, you would have to borrow someone's shares and then find someone to by them at today's price...and then hope the Fantex is still around in ten years in order to buy them back when they hit your short price.

I don't see Fantex existing a year from now.

These players complain and whine and throw temper tantrums about being overworked (tough life they live from December to July, you know, getting paid to be health and in shape) and treated like a commodity by rich owners who throw them away when they're junk. Yet here they go, a combination of ignorance, arrogance and greed, and treat themselves like a tradeable commodity on some junk bond market. Unbelievable and laughable. What respect I had for this guy took a bog hit with this charade.

One more nail in the NFL's coffin. Can I watch a game or listen to talk radio or come here without the constant discussion of money, salary, new stadium costs, etc? Probably not, which is why the NFL, as Mark Cuban has suggested, with peak and decline.

I hope he bombs now just so the idiots who throw their money at his "stock" lose every nickel. Seriously.