7 Elite Prospects in the Draft

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap2000000344895/article/2014-nfl-draft-tiers-elite-prospects-blue-chips-and-red-chips

This article identifies these seven players as the elite prospects in the draft:

1) Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

2) Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

3) Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

4) Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo

5) Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

6) Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

7) Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

I tend to agree here and would be thrilled if any of these guys were there at 9 and the Bills selected them. Obviously Ebron is the most likely to be there, and there is somewhat of a chance Matthews or Evans could be there.

This next group is listed as blue chip:

1) Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

2) Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

3) Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

4) Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

5) Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

6) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama

7) Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

8) Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville

9) C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

10) Marqise Lee, WR, USC

11) Odell Beckham, WR, LSU

12) Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

13) Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State

14) Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

15) Zack Martin, OL, Notre Dame

16) Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

17) Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA

18) Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State

I suspect Taylor Lewan has a good chance of being the pick. There are some other names on the list that I wouldn't be shocked to see the Bills take either.

I hope they get Matthews, but I suspect he will be gone and they will pass on Ebron to take Lewan and they will end up regretting it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the listing of who is elite at least one of the qb so has a shot at being elite but I think it's anyone's guess who. If a couple qb so go in the first few picks it's interesting to see we have a shot at some elite talent.

If Johnny was 6'3" 220 with all the same ability and arm strength he would magically be an elite player and the hands down #1 pick, can't wait till he proves the naysayers (c biscuit) wrong.

Should the Bills trade the #9 overall for Skelton?

I know the draft and have been watching it for years. It's always a few players that go in rounds 4-7 that make the most impact on an NFL team and seem to be the elite players in the NFL. It will be names that we barley discuss here on the message board.

Scott

http://www.nfl.com/d...s-and-red-chips

This article identifies these seven players as the elite prospects in the draft:

1) Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

2) Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

3) Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

4) Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo

5) Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M

6) Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

7) Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina

I tend to agree here and would be thrilled if any of these guys were there at 9 and the Bills selected them. Obviously Ebron is the most likely to be there, and there is somewhat of a chance Matthews or Evans could be there.

This next group is listed as blue chip:

1) Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

2) Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh

3) Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

4) Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA

5) Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

6) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama

7) Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State

8) Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville

9) C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

10) Marqise Lee, WR, USC

11) Odell Beckham, WR, LSU

12) Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

13) Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State

14) Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State

15) Zack Martin, OL, Notre Dame

16) Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

17) Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA

18) Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State

I suspect Taylor Lewan has a good chance of being the pick. There are some other names on the list that I wouldn't be shocked to see the Bills take either.

I hope they get Matthews, but I suspect he will be gone and they will pass on Ebron to take Lewan and they will end up regretting it.

If the choice is between Ebron and Lewan, I don't think the Bills will pick Lewan at 9. If you are going to take the third best tackle, you don't do it at 9. Take one of the other good tackles in the second or third round and grab Ebron in the first.

If the choice is between Ebron and Lewan, I don't think the Bills will pick Lewan at 9. If you are going to take the third best tackle, you don't do it at 9. Take one of the other good tackles in the second or third round and grab Ebron in the first.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've heard that several GM's have Taylor Lewan as their #2 OT.

I know the draft and have been watching it for years. It's always a few players that go in rounds 4-7 that make the most impact on an NFL team and seem to be the elite players in the NFL. It will be names that we barley discuss here on the message board.

Scott

Agreed but elite prospects have a better chance of panning out as starters than later players. Being an elite prospect definitely does not mean likely to be an elite player- though my previouspost did conflate the two.

Bucky Brooks is a former scout (& Bills receiver) that has watched tons of tape on the top prospects. He is giving his opinion on where these players will end up. By the definitions that he defines in the article I think that it is a pretty fair assessment. Does anyone doubt that those guys in the elite tier will start immediately and have a chance to become Pro Bowl players early in their careers? They all seem plausible to me.

If Johnny was 6'3" 220 with all the same ability and arm strength he would magically be an elite player and the hands down #1 pick, can't wait till he proves the naysayers (c biscuit) wrong.

I don't think his size is the limiting factor so much as the questions about his ability to make a living in the pocket. That is the biggest question mark scouts have about his transition to the next level.

GO BILLS!!!