BBQ Question

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have an opinion on electric smokers? I've been trying to make my kind up on a smoker and a friend insists electric is the way to go for the best balance of ease and results.

I don't have an electric but I do have a propane smoker and I like it a lot. Pretty easy to control temp, water pan keeps meat from drying out and is a good barrier from the flame. I've turned out some pretty good stuff from it. If I had a little more time and didn't travel as much for work id have more of a charcoal and wood type setup but I have no complaints about the results from the propane! Only drawback is having to replenish the wood chips/chunks every couple hrs.

I have the large and quite frankly wish I had the XL.

Also have a standard Weber Genesis gas for the quick hitter jobs or if I need the extra grill room.

Hooray for grilling season!!!

I'm sorry grilling has a season? In California it's called today.

prove it

Ok, ok....when I have people over.

Just get a nice Weber. Easy to clean. We went with the Genesis from a few years ago and never been happier! Has the extra sear burner... Not the super huge one, the 700 dollar one.

Ordered it out of Appliance Connection (I think out of New Jersey)... Shipped freight, not a problem. Oh, Chris Christie probably loves that Illinois was getting stuck without the sales tax on a big ticket internet purchase. Wait... Of course I filled out the 6.25% Will County sales tax for the purchase on the use tax form @ tax time! ;-) ;-)

i agree with this. Just get a Weber.

The Genesis is the benchmark for good grills IMO. Yeah your going to spend $600+ On it depending on if it's got a side burner or not. But you can't get any better IMO. Have a body that's got one and I love it. I have a Q220 and I love it. Grill a few times a week and bring it for tailgates on Sundays and she's like a battle tank.

For the grill of grills:

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/genesis

A great second option:

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/weber-q-series/weber-q320/specs

Unless you have an overwhelming reason to buy a gas grill, pass on buying a cheap one and buy this. It's big enough for steaks, burgers, etc., but also big enough for indirect cooking for ribs and tri-tips.

Take the money you save and buy a chimney and big bag of lump charcoal and grill like a man.

I used to be a militant charcoal guy. But I sold out about 8 years ago. Just the time and effort of the charcoal (especially when just cooking for 2 people) made me give it up for the far inferior gas.

I used to be a militant charcoal guy. But I sold out about 8 years ago. Just the time and effort of the charcoal (especially when just cooking for 2 people) made me give it up for the far inferior gas.

Oh come on man, it's not that difficult. You put the charcoal in, add some lighter fluid and light it up. You finish prepping and drinking while the coals heat up. Now if it's a Wednesday and you're just cooking dinner they I get your point. But weekends are all about the charcoal, wood and smoke.

Oh come on man, it's not that difficult. You put the charcoal in, add some lighter fluid and light it up. You finish prepping and drinking while the coals heat up. Now if it's a Wednesday and you're just cooking dinner they I get your point. But weekends are all about the charcoal, wood and smoke.

Lighter fluid? Seriously?

I've got good music lovers' attention at this very second, so I'm doing a quick thread hijack.

I just bought 2 tix to see Sir Paul and I'm bringing my son (11) ... I am super psyched.

Lighter fluid? Seriously?

I've got good music lovers' attention at this very second, so I'm doing a quick thread hijack.

I just bought 2 tix to see Sir Paul and I'm bringing my son (11) ... I am super psyched.

Yes lighter fluid.

I actually used to use a charcoal chimney, which was awesome and didn't need lighter fluid. But you still had to wait, and the clean-up and making sure the coals were out was a little bothersome.

I get that. But it's 20 minutes of planning. Seriously. Hell, your steak is going to sit out longer than that just getting to room temperature. Plus, depending on what you're grilling for two people, you don't need to fill the whole chimney...just halfway at best. Plus, spray a little olive oil on the paper before you crumble and light it and the fire is ripping in no time.

Yes lighter fluid.

Yer killin' me, Larry.

I get that. But it's 20 minutes of planning. Seriously. Hell, your steak is going to sit out longer than that just getting to room temperature. Plus, depending on what you're grilling for two people, you don't need to fill the whole chimney...just halfway at best. Plus, spray a little olive oil on the paper before you crumble and light it and the fire is ripping in no time.

Yer killin' me, Larry.

So you think I'm grilling my steaks over lighter fluid? It's been long burned off.

Yer killin' me, Larry.

You use olive oil to start a fire? Corn oil no good? That's not how Tom amassed a 7 figure estate.

Thanks for the tip.

I too am in the market for a grill, and am going to look at this.

I am also looking at places where I can get it put together and delivered for free (I think Lowe's might do this).

If you go online, you will save a bundle over the big box store... Yet, it will come in a box and you'll have to put it together. I actually prefer I put it together, then I know it is done right!

Hey AP: It is the heat that sears/seals. The professional (expensive) infrared can get up in temp... But I wonder how they can claim the cheap ones do the same. I thought you get what you pay for. Anyway, even with my Weber Genny going on a few years and the inside of the hood/cover all smoked up, it still gets up to about 650-700 degrees (FWIW, built in hood thermo).

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

So you think I'm grilling my steaks over lighter fluid? It's been long burned off.

LoL... Exactly! I always love the look on the faces of the anti-lighter fluid snobs when you whip out the can of the stuff. My brother-in-law would have a coronary! LoL... It is not like you are gonna use a gallon of it and like you said, it is long burned off when you start cooking. My BiL actually gets bent when when say we are @ the beach/park and somebody lights up. He's got supersonic sniffing... Will go on a full blown rant how "that guy is using way too much fluid!" LoL... I guess people always gotta have an issue! ;-)

Anyway... What's a little petrol-chem product to give that "classic" backyard brazier taste!

Speaking of BBQ, you should check out Alamo BBQ in Church Hill.

Have been, and I get it now in the West End at Deep Run Roadhouse...former partner in Alamo.

I am a 50-50 guy gas vs egg. But I almost always use a foil chip packet when using the gas grill, need the smoke flavor either way!

Have been, and I get it now in the West End at Deep Run Roadhouse...former partner in Alamo.

I am a 50-50 guy gas vs egg. But I almost always use a foil chip packet when using the gas grill, need the smoke flavor either way!

plenz... These "foil chip packets" do you make them yourself or get them pre-made... How do you use them/where do you place them? I'd like to try this!